The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

How to Report 3 Pointer and 1

Had a game last night where I had my first foul on a 3 point attempt. Somehow the shooter makes it. So I have 1 free throw coming up. How do you guys report in this situation?
- I have a foul on White #2, with a push, baskets good, 1 shot?
- Would you give the 3 point signal at the table for the good basket, or just say the 3 pointer was good 1 shot?

Thanks
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

I start by saying something like "Score the basket, 3 points" with the count the basket mechanic, followed by a quick three-point signal.

Then, "Blue 42", give the signal for the type of foul, "One throw." (Okay, I actually say 'shot' not 'throw' but I don't want to get jumped around here.)
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 03:56pm
Do not give a damn!!

I do not think there is a set policy as to what you do, but what jdw3018 is the sequence I have used for years and no one has ever told me what to do or what not to do in this case. If you are that concerned ask the local trainer/clinicians or organizations in your area. It is possible someone has a very specific sequence. Unfortunately I do not know that the NF has ever laid out one (which is one of the many reasons my state does not use their mechanics anymore) and I have never seen a sequence in a book of any kind.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 03:56pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Always report fouls in the order in which the scorer wants the information. First, was the basket good or not (on a shooting foul, of course - and you use the mechanic), then which team committed the foul by indicating their jersey color, then the number of the player who committed the foul, then the mechanic for the type of foul, then any other action such as "one shot".
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I do not think there is a set policy as to what you do, but what jdw3018 is the sequence I have used for years and no one has ever told me what to do or what not to do in this case. If you are that concerned ask the local trainer/clinicians or organizations in your area. It is possible someone has a very specific sequence. Unfortunately I do not know that the NF has ever laid out one (which is one of the many reasons my state does not use their mechanics anymore) and I have never seen a sequence in a book of any kind.

Peace
Yeah I haven't seen a sequence yet either. I felt like I was doing to many signals last night when reporting, so I just wanted to be clear on how other officials handle it. I said something like White #2, push signal, baskets good, 2 point signal, then 1 shot.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDurham View Post

I would break it into two separate reports. I wouldn't put the "baskets good" in the middle of my foul report.

As jdw and Mark say, I would give the count the basket mechanic followed by a "simple" three-point signal. Then report the foul; color, number, nature of foul and our next action (shots/throws)

Last edited by Scratch85; Wed Jan 20, 2010 at 04:02pm. Reason: To give Padgett credit too
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Had a game last night where I had my first foul on a 3 point attempt. Somehow the shooter makes it. So I have 1 free throw coming up. How do you guys report in this situation?
- Would you give the 3 point signal at the table for the good basket, or just say the 3 pointer was good 1 shot?

Thanks
I would go over to the table with the following sequence (please comment on what I should do differently):

"Basket Good" with good-basket hand motion followed by three fingers
"Three points"
"Red 32, Red 3-2" with number of fingers shown during individually spoken numbers
"Block" with block signal (or any other foul violation)
"One shot" with one finger shown to the table, then shown to my partner before taking my spot as trail if I was lead during play or vice versa.

I don't think to do the touchdown signal when at the table, I just tell them three points with three fingers shown. No one has ever told me differently.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 04:26pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
- baskets good (raise arms), I have a foul on White #2, with a push, 1 shot?

Thanks

I would get rid of "I have a foul on" and "with a" on all your reporting.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Just my opinion:

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
I would go over to the table with the following sequence (please comment on what I should do differently):

"Basket Good" with good-basket hand motion followed by three fingers I don't like this, only because it could be confused for a player number if the scorer is uncertain what is happening
"Three points"
"Red 32, Red 3-2" I only say (and visually report with my hand) once. Doing it twice gives another opportunity for the scorer to hear too many numbers or numbers in the wrong order. with number of fingers shown during individually spoken numbers
"Block" with block signal (or any other foul violation) I don't normally verbally state the type of foul, as it isn't required. Sometimes I do out of instinct. No biggee either way.
"One shot" with one finger shown to the table, then shown to my partner before taking my spot as trail if I was lead during play or vice versa.

I don't think to do the touchdown signal when at the table, I just tell them three points with three fingers shown. No one has ever told me differently.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
Just my opinion:
Let me correct myself. I say three points with the three fingers shown. But you are probably correct. In a noisy gym, the table is not going to hear me say "three points" and might think I'm saying that it is on a player numbered 3.

As for the numbered player, I've never had any complaints yet and it is what most other officials do around here so it could just be a local preference in any area.

And I should stop saying the foul with the signal. I'm saying "hack" or "on the arm" when I do the arm-to-arm hit signal for illegal use of hands (for when a player tries to get ball but hits the shooters arm instead).

Thanks for your opinions though, I'm taking them into consideration.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 04:37pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

One habit I'm trying to break this year is verbalizing the type of foul. If the coach asks, I'll tell him what actually happened. If not (99% of the time), sticking to the required stuff works best.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
One habit I'm trying to break this year is verbalizing the type of foul. If the coach asks, I'll tell him what actually happened. If not (99% of the time), sticking to the required stuff works best.
I've pretty much stopped because it led to more questions than it answered. If you say "hold" when the coach thought it was for something else, you get all kinds of questions.

If they really want an explanation, they're asking for one regardless of your signal.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 04:52pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Yeah I haven't seen a sequence yet either. I felt like I was doing to many signals last night when reporting, so I just wanted to be clear on how other officials handle it. I said something like White #2, push signal, baskets good, 2 point signal, then 1 shot.
Nothing has changed with the basket counting or not counting as being the first thing that is signaled. Whether you should give the "TD" signal or give the "count the basket" signal first or one should follow the other is up for debate. I give both signals but as I said no one as told me to do it this way or do it another way. So I do what has worked.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 05:08pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
I say three points with the three fingers shown.
And when you indicate there will be one shot, which finger do you use? Does it depend on who the scorekeeper is?
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Always report fouls in the order in which the scorer wants the information. First, was the basket good or not (on a shooting foul, of course - and you use the mechanic), then which team committed the foul by indicating their jersey color, then the number of the player who committed the foul, then the mechanic for the type of foul, then any other action such as "one shot".
I had to read this a couple times as the answer doesnt match the person provding the info. Not 1 joke or funny reference...out of meds?