Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 11:01am
In Memoriam

Smile Happy 118th Anniversary

1892 1st basketball game played (Mass)
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 11:02am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Ahem.....

No comment on who was the first official........
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 12:53pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Hey, I'll admit it. It was me. And I tossed that damned scorekeeper, too!
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 01:03pm
Archaic Power Monger

I wonder if anybody has recently played a game utilizing the original 13 rules? I know there have been baseball games with throw back rules.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 03:52pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Arrow Here's the real rules

Here's the original 13 rules. I think I'll use these in my games tonight. Note there was a referee and an umpire - and a flagrant foul resulted in an ejection (rule 5). I especially like the first part of rule 9. And no, I don't like the last part of rule 13, even if the overtime would be sudden death.

1) The ball may be thrown in any direction with one or both hands.

2) The ball may be batted in any direction with one or both hands.

3) A player cannot run with the ball, as he must throw it from the spot on which he catches it, with allowance to be made for a man who catches the ball when running at a good speed.

4) The ball must be held in or between the hands; the arms or the body must not be used for holding it.

5) No shouldering, holding, pushing, tripping or striking in any way the person of an opponent shall be allowed. The first infringement of this rule by any person shall count as a foul, the second shall disqualify him until the next goal is made, or if there was evident intent to injure the person, for the whole of the game, no substitute allowed.

6) A foul is striking at the ball with the fist, violation of rules three and four and such described in rule five.

7) If either side makes consecutive fouls it shall count a goal for the opponents.

8) A goal shall be made when the ball is thrown or batted from the grounds into the basket and stays there, providing those defending the goal do not touch or disturb the goal. If the ball rests on the edge and the opponent moves the basket it shall count as a goal.

9) When the ball goes out of bounds it shall be thrown into the field and played by the first person touching it. In case of a dispute the umpire shall throw it into the field. The thrower-in is allowed five seconds and if he holds it longer it shall go to the opponent. If any side persists in delaying the game, the umpire shall call a foul on them.

10) The umpire shall be the judge of men, and shall note the fouls, and notify the referee when three consecutive fouls have been made. He shall have power to disqualify men according to rule five.

11) The referee shall be the judge of the ball and shall decide when the ball is in play, in-bounds, and to which side it belongs, and shall keep the time. He shall decide when a goal has been made and keep account of the goals with any other duties that are usually performed by a referee.

12) The time shall be two fifteen-minute halves, with a five-minute rest between them.

13) The side making the most goals in that time shall be declared the winner. In case of a draw the game may, by agreement of the captains, be continued until another goal is made.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 04:00pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
So Mark......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
In case of a draw the game may, by agreement of the captains, be continued until another goal is made.
Back in the day when you started, I take it you had a way around this section?
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 04:08pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Back in the day when you started, I take it you had a way around this section?
Right. I would never let the game end in a draw. And, if my some odd chance that it did, I would tell the captains we didn't have any time left to keep playing since we took so much time climbing up to get the ball out of the peach baskets.

Also note that each basket (goal) counted one point and there were no free throws, but apparently two consecutive fouls by a team resulted in a point for the other team.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
5) No shouldering, holding, pushing, tripping or striking in any way the person of an opponent shall be allowed. The first infringement of this rule by any person shall count as a foul, the second shall disqualify him until the next goal is made, or if there was evident intent to injure the person, for the whole of the game, no substitute allowed.
Wow, just like soccer. I wonder how the game would be like today if you still couldn't substitute a disqualified player.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Here's the original 13 rules. I think I'll use these in my games tonight. Note there was a referee and an umpire - and a flagrant foul resulted in an ejection (rule 5). I especially like the first part of rule 9. And no, I don't like the last part of rule 13, even if the overtime would be sudden death.

1) The ball may be thrown in any direction with one or both hands.

2) The ball may be batted in any direction with one or both hands.

3) A player cannot run with the ball, as he must throw it from the spot on which he catches it, with allowance to be made for a man who catches the ball when running at a good speed.

4) The ball must be held in or between the hands; the arms or the body must not be used for holding it.

6) A foul is striking at the ball with the fist, violation of rules three and four and such described in rule five.

7) If either side makes consecutive fouls it shall count a goal for the opponents.

8) A goal shall be made when the ball is thrown or batted from the grounds into the basket and stays there, providing those defending the goal do not touch or disturb the goal. If the ball rests on the edge and the opponent moves the basket it shall count as a goal.

9) When the ball goes out of bounds it shall be thrown into the field and played by the first person touching it. In case of a dispute the umpire shall throw it into the field. The thrower-in is allowed five seconds and if he holds it longer it shall go to the opponent. If any side persists in delaying the game, the umpire shall call a foul on them.

10) The umpire shall be the judge of men, and shall note the fouls, and notify the referee when three consecutive fouls have been made. He shall have power to disqualify men according to rule five.

11) The referee shall be the judge of the ball and shall decide when the ball is in play, in-bounds, and to which side it belongs, and shall keep the time. He shall decide when a goal has been made and keep account of the goals with any other duties that are usually performed by a referee.

12) The time shall be two fifteen-minute halves, with a five-minute rest between them.

13) The side making the most goals in that time shall be declared the winner. In case of a draw the game may, by agreement of the captains, be continued until another goal is made.
This just goes to prove how complicated man has made the game after more than a century of play. This must have taken up just one sheet of paper, where now the rule book is about 70+ pages of small print. Made me think a little about how the game has really evolved, and not exactly for the better (for some cases).
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
... apparently two consecutive fouls by a team resulted in a point for the other team.
Well now, I guess that would kinda make the possibility of OT in any game you had a moot point -- more than usual -- wouldn't it?