The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Shot clocks (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56532-shot-clocks.html)

Kingsman1288 Sun Jan 29, 2012 05:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyezen (Post 817604)
Not sure about NFHS since there is no consistent rule from state to state, but I assume most take their ques from NCAA. Just one point, on a kick it would only reset if showing 14 or less, and then only reset to 15.

Edit: Thats for mens, not sure on the womens side.

Here in CA a kick gets a fresh 35/30 depending on boys/girls. Over/under 15 doesn't make a difference.

bob jenkins Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyezen (Post 817604)
Edit: Thats for mens, not sure on the womens side.

Same rule.

keithb Mon Feb 20, 2012 04:31pm

With FIBA being played in Canada, 24 second shot clock for high school varsity and JV for both boys and girls.

Reset to 24 with a kick ball or foul in the backcourt, reset to 14 (if less than 14) on a kick or foul in the front court.

Does not having a shot clock lead to stalling tactics at the end of high school games in the states?

Welpe Mon Feb 20, 2012 04:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by keithb (Post 826099)

Does not having a shot clock lead to stalling tactics at the end of high school games in the states?

Once in a while it does but in my experience, not very often. I only saw one incidence of it this year and the defense would only wait a few seconds before the defense would send a player out to get a closely guarded count started.

Camron Rust Mon Feb 20, 2012 04:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by keithb (Post 826099)
With FIBA being played in Canada, 24 second shot clock for high school varsity and JV for both boys and girls.

Reset to 24 with a kick ball or foul in the backcourt, reset to 14 (if less than 14) on a kick or foul in the front court.

It does....in a few games.

But it also leads to teams putting up fewer bad shots....24 seconds to get off a shot is just too quick for several HS teams and probably most JV teams. I'd rather them play with better fundamentals and work for a decent shot vs. just throwing something toward the rim as time runs out.

It the time were higher...35, maybe 45, seconds, it might not be such a bad idea.

Welpe Mon Feb 20, 2012 05:14pm

This may have been stated in this thread but I'd be in favor of a shot clock that required a minimum of 24 seconds before a team could take a shot. The dribble dribble shoot dribble dribble shoot games might be a little more tolerable. :)

BillyMac Mon Feb 20, 2012 06:23pm

I Really Hate High School Shot Clocks ...

I observed two shot clock issues in a high school prep game this past weekend. Typical Connecticut two person game.

Less than a minute to go in the first half. Black is on offense. Shot clock is winding down. Black loses ball, and it rolls into the lane into a cluster of players from both teams. Shot clock operator, a high school age kid, resets the clock, believing that White had gained control. They hadn't. It was just a loose ball, that was eventually picked up by Black. Black player makes a shot a few seconds before the horn sounds to end the half. White coach complains that Black had more than thirty-five seconds to get off the shot. Maybe they did. Maybe they didn't. Both officials, one a top notch veteran, didn't realize that the shot clock had been reset. Neither official has any NCAA experience, and they see a shot clock only a few times each season at prep school games. I really hate high school shot clocks.

End of the second half. Tie game. Game clock has two seconds more than the shot clock. White ball. Nobody, players, coaches, officials, really notices the two second difference. Horn sounds, and everyone, except me as an observer, thinks that the second half is over, and we're going to overtime. It wasn't the game horn, it was the shot clock horn. Everyone, players coaches, officials, just stopped doing what they were doing, and two seconds later the game horn went off. White really had two more seconds to get of a last second shot to win the game. And then they started overtime. Oh, did I mention that I really hate high school shot clocks?

Rich Mon Feb 20, 2012 06:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 826137)
I observed two shot clock issues in a high school prep game this past weekend. Typical Connecticut two person game.

Less than a minute to go in the first half. Black is on offense. Shot clock is winding down. Black loses ball, and it rolls into the lane into a cluster of players from both teams. Shot clock operator, a high school age kid, resets the clock, believing that White had gained control. They hadn't. It was just a loose ball, that was eventually picked up by Black. Black player makes a shot a few seconds before the horn sounds to end the half. White coach complains that Black had more than thirty-five seconds to get off the shot. Maybe they did. Maybe they didn't. Both officials, one a top notch veteran, didn't realize that the shot clock had been reset. Neither official has any NCAA experience, and they see a shot clock only a few times each season at prep school games. I really hate high school shot clocks.

End of the second half. Tie game. Game clock has two seconds more than the shot clock. White ball. Nobody really notices the difference. Horn sounds, and everyone, except me as an observer, thinks that the second half is over, and we're going to overtime. It wasn't the game horn, it was the shot clock horn. Everyone, players coaches, officials, just stopped doing what they were doing, and two seconds later the game horn went off. White really had two more seconds to get of a last second shot to win the game. And then they started overtime. Did I mention that I really hate high school shot clocks?

The shot clocks aren't to blame, Billy. The officials should've been better prepared for those situations.

BillyMac Mon Feb 20, 2012 06:42pm

Shoot The Shot Clocks ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 826139)
The shot clocks aren't to blame, Billy. The officials should've been better prepared for those situations.

Easy for NCAA officials working high school games, and high school officials that use a shot clock on a regular basis. We only use shot clocks for prep school games, and only varsity prep school games. No shot clock for subvarsity prep school games, so the learning curve is quite steep. Only about a half dozen of the seventy schools that we service here in my little corner of Connecticut are prep schools. Some officials don't see a shot clock all season long, and some only see one every few years.

Rich Mon Feb 20, 2012 07:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 826144)
Easy for NCAA officials working high school games, and high school officials that use a shot clock on a regular basis. We only use shot clocks for prep school games, and only varsity prep school games. No shot clock for subvarsity prep school games, so the learning curve is quite steep. Only about a half dozen of the seventy schools that we service here in my little corner of Connecticut are prep schools. Some officials don't see a shot clock all season long, and some only see one every few years.

I probably work about 10 games with a shot clock every season -- in those games I'm *hyper-aware* of the shot clock and the rules/mechanics. I still say a good official can adjust.

BillyMac Mon Feb 20, 2012 07:53pm

Could You Tell Me How To Get To Carnegie Hall ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 826163)
I probably work about 10 games with a shot clock every season, in those games I'm hyper-aware of the shot clock and the rules/mechanics. I still say a good official can adjust.

I'm sure that you do a great job with a shot clock. I don't doubt it. But there is a big difference between working ten games with a shot clock every season, compared to working ten games with a shot clock every fifteen years.

JetMetFan Mon Feb 20, 2012 09:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jfpdi (Post 653008)
NY 30 second for girls, 35 for boys at the varsity and JV level. NY we also use NCAA rules for girls games with some modifications and NFHS Rules for boys.

Just a little extra on NY - I don't know about the rest of the state but in NYC there's a 35-second clock in Class AA boys' games only and a 30-second clock in all girls' games (AA, A and B). NYS has Class C & D schools as well but not in NYC.

Meanwhile across the Hudson in NJ, no shot clocks at all.