The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Shot clocks (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56532-shot-clocks.html)

Clark Kent Mon Jan 18, 2010 01:49pm

Shot clocks

A friend and I were chatting about high school basketball and he said that he thought our state (Utah) was one of the few around the nation that didn't have shot clocks. I disagreed with him and said that probably only some five to ten states have them. So I ask all you out there who work in the other states!

jdw3018 Mon Jan 18, 2010 01:51pm

No shot clocks in KS, SC, or OK.

Camron Rust Mon Jan 18, 2010 01:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdw3018 (Post 652801)
No shot clocks in KS, SC, or OK.

None in OR.

Welpe Mon Jan 18, 2010 01:54pm

Texas does not use the shot clock.

California does.

CDurham Mon Jan 18, 2010 01:54pm

None in North Carolina, but would like to see it at the Varsity level

Clark Kent Mon Jan 18, 2010 01:56pm

yea none in ID or WY either, and I know Cali and NY have them at some level.

dsqrddgd909 Mon Jan 18, 2010 02:09pm

None in MI

MTref Mon Jan 18, 2010 02:47pm

None in MT

chseagle Mon Jan 18, 2010 02:50pm

Washington adopted shot clock use

Washington State has 30 sec. Shot Clock for Girls', 35 sec. Shot Clock for Boys'.

rockchalk jhawk Mon Jan 18, 2010 02:57pm

I think I've heard that MN has them, but that is only hearsay.

doubleringer Mon Jan 18, 2010 03:03pm

None in Iowa, but I'd love to see it happen. As I understand it, the large school girls coaches have brought up the idea, but it hasn't gotten anywhere yet. Maybe it'll be experimental for non-conference games in the near future. We can only hope.

chartrusepengui Mon Jan 18, 2010 03:12pm

Not in WI

Adam Mon Jan 18, 2010 03:18pm

Not in CO.

M&M Guy Mon Jan 18, 2010 03:19pm

None in IL.

Adam Mon Jan 18, 2010 03:20pm

The only ones I know of are CA, WA, and NY.

luvernebbref Mon Jan 18, 2010 04:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockchalk jhawk (Post 652830)
I think I've heard that MN has them, but that is only hearsay.

MN can only use them in non-conference games if both teams agree. They are not used in tournament play.

BillyMac Mon Jan 18, 2010 07:15pm

The Provisions State ...

None in Connecticut, except for prep schools that use a hybrid version of NFHS/NCAA rules, and then, only for varsity games, not for subvarsity games.

constable Mon Jan 18, 2010 07:27pm

Shot clocks are a great addition to the game. Since I've started doing FIBA rules this year it is a much smoother flowing game than FED games.

Nevadaref Mon Jan 18, 2010 09:32pm

There are only about eight overall which employ the shot clock.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 652846)
The only ones I know of are CA, WA, and NY.

You can add MA, MD (girls), and one of the Dakotas (I can't recall which).

I can tell you for sure that NV does not use it.

Jfpdi Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:06pm

NY 30 second for girls, 35 for boys at the varsity and JV level. NY we also use NCAA rules for girls games with some modifications and NFHS Rules for boys.

StripesOhio Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:29pm

High School Sports | Shot clock approved for boys high-school basketball | Seattle Times Newspaper

According to this article from Apr 2009:

7 states use it for boys
8 states use it for girls

Btw, no shot clock in Ohio either.

Jfpdi Tue Jan 19, 2010 08:13am

Forgot to mention. In NY 3 person crews are not mandated and not the norm. some places use them for high profile games. I don't think with school budgets in the shape they are in we will ever see 3 person mandated. How about the rest of the country.

Indianaref Tue Jan 19, 2010 08:20am

Not in Indiana and we were told not to expect it anytime soon.

Nevadaref Tue Jan 19, 2010 08:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jfpdi (Post 653132)
Forgot to mention. In NY 3 person crews are not mandated and not the norm. some places use them for high profile games. I don't think with school budgets in the shape they are in we will ever see 3 person mandated. How about the rest of the country.

Please either start a new thread for this inquiry or better yet do a search of our past threads on this rather than mess up this one with such a question and the responses.

FrankHtown Tue Jan 19, 2010 09:39am

I sometimes wish Texas would use a shot clock. I would love for some teams to take 35 seconds to shoot instead of 7 or 8 seconds.

paulsonj72 Fri Jan 27, 2012 03:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 652995)
There are only about eight overall which employ the shot clock.

You can add MA, MD (girls), and one of the Dakotas (I can't recall which).

I can tell you for sure that NV does not use it.

To bring it up again North Dakota uses it in both classes(Class B added it this year) :35 for boys and :30 for girls while South Dakota uses it in Class A only(biggest class)

wfd21 Fri Jan 27, 2012 07:43am

None in Maine but wish we had them. But then I don't think we would have competent people to run them at the High school level. It's hard enough to have them used correctly at the college level.:rolleyes:

That Guy Fri Jan 27, 2012 09:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulsonj72 (Post 817119)
To bring it up again North Dakota uses it in both classes(Class B added it this year) :35 for boys and :30 for girls while South Dakota uses it in Class A only(biggest class)

Are you an archaeologist by trade?

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:35am

None in Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Florida, Pennsylvania, and Connecticut.

I don't want to see a shot clock and the only thing worse that a shot clock is AP.

MTD, Sr.

Rich Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 817194)

I don't want to see a shot clock and the only thing worse that a shot clock is AP.

MTD, Sr.

Your comments on the AP are, IMO, completely ridiculous. I know you've said this before, repeatedly (so you're consistent at least), but still...

Jump balls have to be the most idiotic way to settle a tie up. You have a 5'4" player make a great defensive play and tie up a player who's 6'2" tall and those two are supposed to "jump it up" in order to determine the next possession?

Never mind the fact that we'd have 10-20 jump balls in just about every lower level girls game.

You want to eliminate the held ball in the NCAA, fine. I can almost go along with that. But in NFHS rules? You're just not willing to see what it would be like if we went back to the old way (which, BTW, is probably 30 years ago now -- I started officiating 25 years ago and we had the arrow then).

bainsey Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:32am

According to this USA today article:

State high school associations that allow a shot clock in basketball

State: Boys, Girls
California: 35 seconds, 30 seconds
Maryland: none, 30 seconds
Massachusetts: 30 seconds, 30 seconds
New York: 35 seconds, 30 seconds
North Dakota: 35 seconds, 30 seconds
Rhode Island: 35 seconds, 30 seconds
South Dakota: 35 seconds, 35 seconds
Washington: 35 seconds, 30 seconds

dsqrddgd909 Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:48am

I wonder why the difference in times between boys and girls?

bob jenkins Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:49am

Again, it's a 2-year old thread. Use the "go to the new post" icon from the main page to avoid this.

bainsey Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 (Post 817219)
I wonder why the difference in times between boys and girls?

No doubt, to reflect the differences in the college game.

paulsonj72 Fri Jan 27, 2012 01:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by That Guy (Post 817170)
Are you an archaeologist by trade?

Broadcaster(who always buys rulebooks to at least TRY to understand what calls are). I live in a cornet of MN near the SD/ND/MN border. I said that because I forgot to read all the psts and originally made a post on MN before I saw it was answered so I deleted the previous post.

BillyMac Fri Jan 27, 2012 05:25pm

Frankenstein's Monster ...

Quote:

In the Constitution State, prep school varsity games, both boys, and girls, use a shot clock. Prep schools use a hybrid version of NFHS, and NCAA, rules.

BillyMac Fri Jan 27, 2012 05:27pm

How Can I Say This Delicately ???

Quote:

The only thing worse that a shot clock is AP.

Shut up.

The_Rookie Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:18pm

California has Shot clock at all levels of HS. 30 for ladies and 35 boys. Plus no 10 sec backcourt count for ladies.

Question: The only 3 situations I know of to re-set the shot clock are:

1) Foul

2) ball hits rim

3) Kick ball

Are there others??

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 817359)
In the Constitution State, prep school varsity games, both boys, and girls, use a shot clock. Prep schools use a hybrid version of NFHS, and NCAA, rules.

Billy:

I apologize for misspeaking for the Nutmeg State. It is has been a few years since I last officiated in the Starter Girls' Summer Classic and back then there was no shot clock for H.S. basketball.

20 lashes with a wet noodle.

MTD, Sr.

P.S. AP, :p.

refiator Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:27am

It's a money thing.
We'd love to have it here, but GHSA rightfully won't require the schools to purchase the equipment. Some say it's either work 3-person crews or sacrifice that for other "niceties"......I'll take 3-person ANY day.

reffish Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:42am

Az

No clock in AZ

Kingsman1288 Sat Jan 28, 2012 01:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rookie (Post 817392)
California has Shot clock at all levels of HS. 30 for ladies and 35 boys. Plus no 10 sec backcourt count for ladies.

Question: The only 3 situations I know of to re-set the shot clock are:

1) Foul

2) ball hits rim

3) Kick ball

Are there others??

Change of possesion, but thats a no brainer lol. I always use the acronym KFCR when I talk to my shot clock operators. It seems to make it easier for them to remember that way.

Kick
Foul
Change of possesion
Rim

Camron Rust Sat Jan 28, 2012 01:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingsman1288 (Post 817503)
Change of possesion, but thats a no brainer lol. I always use the acronym KFCR when I talk to my shot clock operators. It seems to make it easier for them to remember that way.

Kick
Foul
Change of possesion
Rim

Might as well include the end of a period while we at it! :D

BillyMac Sat Jan 28, 2012 05:43pm

Finger Linkin' Good ...

Quote:

I always use the acronym KFCR when I talk to my shot clock operators.

Makes me hungry.

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/images/thumbn...64bdbb5b0175dc

eyezen Sat Jan 28, 2012 08:29pm

Quote:

Kick
Foul
Change of possesion
Rim

Not sure about NFHS since there is no consistent rule from state to state, but I assume most take their ques from NCAA. Just one point, on a kick it would only reset if showing 14 or less, and then only reset to 15.

Edit: Thats for mens, not sure on the womens side.

Kingsman1288 Sun Jan 29, 2012 05:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyezen (Post 817604)
Not sure about NFHS since there is no consistent rule from state to state, but I assume most take their ques from NCAA. Just one point, on a kick it would only reset if showing 14 or less, and then only reset to 15.

Here in CA a kick gets a fresh 35/30 depending on boys/girls. Over/under 15 doesn't make a difference.

bob jenkins Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyezen (Post 817604)

Same rule.

keithb Mon Feb 20, 2012 04:31pm

With FIBA being played in Canada, 24 second shot clock for high school varsity and JV for both boys and girls.

Reset to 24 with a kick ball or foul in the backcourt, reset to 14 (if less than 14) on a kick or foul in the front court.

Does not having a shot clock lead to stalling tactics at the end of high school games in the states?

Welpe Mon Feb 20, 2012 04:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by keithb (Post 826099)

Does not having a shot clock lead to stalling tactics at the end of high school games in the states?

Once in a while it does but in my experience, not very often. I only saw one incidence of it this year and the defense would only wait a few seconds before the defense would send a player out to get a closely guarded count started.

Camron Rust Mon Feb 20, 2012 04:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by keithb (Post 826099)
With FIBA being played in Canada, 24 second shot clock for high school varsity and JV for both boys and girls.

Reset to 24 with a kick ball or foul in the backcourt, reset to 14 (if less than 14) on a kick or foul in the front court.

It does....in a few games.

But it also leads to teams putting up fewer bad shots....24 seconds to get off a shot is just too quick for several HS teams and probably most JV teams. I'd rather them play with better fundamentals and work for a decent shot vs. just throwing something toward the rim as time runs out.

It the time were higher...35, maybe 45, seconds, it might not be such a bad idea.

Welpe Mon Feb 20, 2012 05:14pm

This may have been stated in this thread but I'd be in favor of a shot clock that required a minimum of 24 seconds before a team could take a shot. The dribble dribble shoot dribble dribble shoot games might be a little more tolerable. :)

BillyMac Mon Feb 20, 2012 06:23pm

I Really Hate High School Shot Clocks ...

I observed two shot clock issues in a high school prep game this past weekend. Typical Connecticut two person game.

Less than a minute to go in the first half. Black is on offense. Shot clock is winding down. Black loses ball, and it rolls into the lane into a cluster of players from both teams. Shot clock operator, a high school age kid, resets the clock, believing that White had gained control. They hadn't. It was just a loose ball, that was eventually picked up by Black. Black player makes a shot a few seconds before the horn sounds to end the half. White coach complains that Black had more than thirty-five seconds to get off the shot. Maybe they did. Maybe they didn't. Both officials, one a top notch veteran, didn't realize that the shot clock had been reset. Neither official has any NCAA experience, and they see a shot clock only a few times each season at prep school games. I really hate high school shot clocks.

End of the second half. Tie game. Game clock has two seconds more than the shot clock. White ball. Nobody, players, coaches, officials, really notices the two second difference. Horn sounds, and everyone, except me as an observer, thinks that the second half is over, and we're going to overtime. It wasn't the game horn, it was the shot clock horn. Everyone, players coaches, officials, just stopped doing what they were doing, and two seconds later the game horn went off. White really had two more seconds to get of a last second shot to win the game. And then they started overtime. Oh, did I mention that I really hate high school shot clocks?

Rich Mon Feb 20, 2012 06:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 826137)
I observed two shot clock issues in a high school prep game this past weekend. Typical Connecticut two person game.

Less than a minute to go in the first half. Black is on offense. Shot clock is winding down. Black loses ball, and it rolls into the lane into a cluster of players from both teams. Shot clock operator, a high school age kid, resets the clock, believing that White had gained control. They hadn't. It was just a loose ball, that was eventually picked up by Black. Black player makes a shot a few seconds before the horn sounds to end the half. White coach complains that Black had more than thirty-five seconds to get off the shot. Maybe they did. Maybe they didn't. Both officials, one a top notch veteran, didn't realize that the shot clock had been reset. Neither official has any NCAA experience, and they see a shot clock only a few times each season at prep school games. I really hate high school shot clocks.

End of the second half. Tie game. Game clock has two seconds more than the shot clock. White ball. Nobody really notices the difference. Horn sounds, and everyone, except me as an observer, thinks that the second half is over, and we're going to overtime. It wasn't the game horn, it was the shot clock horn. Everyone, players coaches, officials, just stopped doing what they were doing, and two seconds later the game horn went off. White really had two more seconds to get of a last second shot to win the game. And then they started overtime. Did I mention that I really hate high school shot clocks?

The shot clocks aren't to blame, Billy. The officials should've been better prepared for those situations.

BillyMac Mon Feb 20, 2012 06:42pm

Shoot The Shot Clocks ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 826139)
The shot clocks aren't to blame, Billy. The officials should've been better prepared for those situations.

Easy for NCAA officials working high school games, and high school officials that use a shot clock on a regular basis. We only use shot clocks for prep school games, and only varsity prep school games. No shot clock for subvarsity prep school games, so the learning curve is quite steep. Only about a half dozen of the seventy schools that we service here in my little corner of Connecticut are prep schools. Some officials don't see a shot clock all season long, and some only see one every few years.

Rich Mon Feb 20, 2012 07:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 826144)
Easy for NCAA officials working high school games, and high school officials that use a shot clock on a regular basis. We only use shot clocks for prep school games, and only varsity prep school games. No shot clock for subvarsity prep school games, so the learning curve is quite steep. Only about a half dozen of the seventy schools that we service here in my little corner of Connecticut are prep schools. Some officials don't see a shot clock all season long, and some only see one every few years.

I probably work about 10 games with a shot clock every season -- in those games I'm *hyper-aware* of the shot clock and the rules/mechanics. I still say a good official can adjust.

BillyMac Mon Feb 20, 2012 07:53pm

Could You Tell Me How To Get To Carnegie Hall ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 826163)
I probably work about 10 games with a shot clock every season, in those games I'm hyper-aware of the shot clock and the rules/mechanics. I still say a good official can adjust.

I'm sure that you do a great job with a shot clock. I don't doubt it. But there is a big difference between working ten games with a shot clock every season, compared to working ten games with a shot clock every fifteen years.

JetMetFan Mon Feb 20, 2012 09:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jfpdi (Post 653008)
NY 30 second for girls, 35 for boys at the varsity and JV level. NY we also use NCAA rules for girls games with some modifications and NFHS Rules for boys.

Just a little extra on NY - I don't know about the rest of the state but in NYC there's a 35-second clock in Class AA boys' games only and a 30-second clock in all girls' games (AA, A and B). NYS has Class C & D schools as well but not in NYC.

Meanwhile across the Hudson in NJ, no shot clocks at all.