The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   uniform rule (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56507-uniform-rule.html)

26 Year Gap Sun Jan 17, 2010 09:51pm

Now where is that game report from Friday night? I am guessing there was a 'no show'.

chseagle Sun Jan 17, 2010 09:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap (Post 652596)
Now where is that game report from Friday night? I am guessing there was a 'no show'.

Probably in the process of writing it down.

Considering Rookiedude had an additional witness present, his brother.

We've done games together b4, where I've done scoreboard/timer & he as official.

Only of course, those were Sub-Varsity games.

Welpe Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 652595)
Ok, what would happen then if there was no one else available as there was no one trained?

Quite honestly, it's not that hard to work a clock.

26 Year Gap Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:40pm

The next AD I see who does not know how to operate the clock will be the first.

just another ref Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:44pm

Quote:

Ok, what would happen then if there was no one else available as there was no one trained?

The time that elapsed was only about 30 sec. from my asking to play continuing.

You ask for a volunteer, and take another 30 seconds to "train" him.

TimTaylor Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:49pm

Quote:

The time that elapsed was only about 30 sec. from my asking to play continuing.

Don't kid yourself, it's not that tough a job - we'd find someone. I can, and have on a number of occasions, trained a completely inexperienced clock operator in the basics in one minute or less and have them do a great job.

30 seconds can be an eternity. There's an old adage - bad things happen during a dead ball - things like taunting and other unsportsmanlike acts. That's especially true when the players are intermixed on the court and an official's attention is distracted elsewhere.

tjones1 Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 652573)
Speaking of uniform rules/regulations, rule 3-5-5 states:
Undershirts shall be a single solid color similar to the torso of the jersey & shall be hemmed & not have frayed or ragged edges. If the undershirt has sleeves, they shall be the same length. A visible manufacturer's logo/trademark/reference is not permitted on the undershirt.

During the Boys' C-Squad game the other night, V13 had a black undershirt on underneath a red jersey. During a dead ball, I buzzed the horn & asked about the player having the different undershirt color than jersey, the official's reponse was in non-Varsity contests they don't worry about it.

After asking, I noticed that H40 had a white undershirt on underneath a yellow jersey.

The reason why I asked was that I was curious about why the rule enforcement wasn't there.

To answer everyone's question, no Rookiedude was not one of the officials for that game.

Exactly what everyone else is saying.... stay outta the officials bidness.

If you want to know, wait until after the game. However, do not interrupt the game because you want to know why/why not a rule isn't being enforced.

Now, back to the OP.

If you log into your Center and click on basketball ("BK") under the case situations you'll find the list of schools who currently have a waiver. Now, even though there's a published list, the coach still must show the waiver to game officials before the game to avoid being accessed a technical foul.

ODJ Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 652587)
I had a legit question concerning a rule interp. Play was dead at the time, so there was no IH.

As I said before, out of sight, out of mind on things. Concerning the undershirt being a different color than the jersey, kinda hard to ignore.

Because it's a non-varsity game.

You asked during a substitution and don't think it interrupted the game? :rolleyes:

Ya got (Walla Walla) onions, that's for sure.

Adam Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:32am

I'm just going to echo Bob on this one. Around here, we do enforce this at the JV level (did it last night with the first sub of the game), but I would not take kindly to the table asking me why it wasn't being enforced.

Nevadaref Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 652631)
I'm just going to echo Bob on this one. Around here, we do enforce this at the JV level (did it last night with the first sub of the game), but I would not take kindly to the table asking me why it wasn't being enforced.

We are supposed to enforce the apparel regulations at all levels of HS play (Fr, JV, and V), but some officials don't bother.
If I didn't notice such an infraction and the table crew brought it to my attention, I wouldn't mind and I would deal with the issue at that time.
I'm not threatened by a scorer asking me about a rule. I know the rules pretty well.
Just my thoughts.

chseagle Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 652635)
We are supposed to enforce the apparel regulations at all levels of HS play (Fr, JV, and V), but some officials don't bother.
If I didn't notice such an infraction and the table crew brought it to my attention, I wouldn't mind and I would deal with the issue at that time.
I'm not threatened by a scorer asking me about a rule. I know the rules pretty well.
Just my thoughts.

Nevada,

How I asked was that I mentioned that according to my understanding of the rules, aren't undershirts to be the same color as the jersey.

I didn't mention the rule or rule # specifically. This was the reaction I was getting was they don't worry about it. Since that was the response I got, I again let bygones be bygones.

For everyone else,

I am mentioning what happened, as to me it seemed a bit odd that the rules as a whole seem to not be fully enforced at all levels of play. However, since again officials have the only say I just went off of what was told.

Nevadaref Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 652640)
Nevada,

How I asked was that I mentioned that according to my understanding of the rules, aren't undershirts to be the same color as the jersey.

Actually, the rule, 3-5-5, states the undershirt shall be similar to the color of the torso of the jersey. ;)

chseagle Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 652641)
Actually, the rule, 3-5-5, states the undershirt shall be similar to the color of the torso of the jersey. ;)

Sorry misquoted as I didn't have the text in front of me. MY BAD:eek:

How can black be similar to red?

How can white be mistaken as similar to yellow?

Nevadaref Mon Jan 18, 2010 01:08am

1. If you asked me about the rule and said "same color," I would correct you and inform you that the rule only requires a similar color.

2. Now what is a similar color is up to the referee.

3. I didn't say anything about the specific colors in your situation.

4. I would not rule black as similar to red.

5. I would rule light green okay to wear with a dark green jersey or aqua as fine for going under a blue shirt.

JRutledge Mon Jan 18, 2010 01:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 652635)
Just my thoughts.

Well you are wrong in many situations. Many states do not have strict enforcement of uniform rules at the other levels. And yes that includes lower level games. Most of the time the kids are in "warm-up" jerseys that do not fit all the regulations that apply. It is not about choice, it is about practice for many. That is certainly the case where I live and undershirts are not a major concern at the lower levels.

Peace