The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 03, 2000, 01:13am
Official Forum Member

cardinal sin to wipe a basket because of 3sec. violation. don't go to partner. the 3sec is off when you recognize the player is starting or beginning his movement to take a shot. It doesn't have to leave his hands. I know this is in reference to the player with the ball, but i'm not going to interupt the game on a 3sec. in this situation.
Old Fri Mar 03, 2000, 01:52am
Official Forum Member

I agree with Bart. The 3 second call is one of the most misunderstood calls' by coaches and specially fans. I had a father last night, every single time the opposing team had the ball YELL 3 seconds. I really wanted to go over to him and explain the 3 second rule. They don't understand:
1) The 3 second count is over once a shot is attempted by team A and does not start again until the ball is in control by team A again.
2) A player can be in the paint for 2 seconds, get the ball, make a move to the basket and shoot. That second portion can be up to 3 seconds.
Old Fri Mar 03, 2000, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dibbs
This happen to me in a cyo playoff game. As the lead, looking off the ball I had a clear 3 second violation. As I blew my whistle and as my hand went up the ball went threw the hoop.
Could I have gone to my partner and ask if the ball had left the player hand when I blew the whistle and give them the basket, since the violation is off during a shot for goal. The three second call stood and the game went on, but this team lost by two points. I know from now on before I blow my whistle I'am looking to see what the ball is doing!
Old Fri Mar 03, 2000, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

I had a game the other night where one of the fans was screaming "3 seconds":

a. during throw-ins (before the ball came in-bounds).

b. While the ball was still in the backcourt of the offense.

The three second violation does NOT apply in these situations, correct?
Old Fri Mar 03, 2000, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Correct. Also no 3sec. count when ball loose.
Old Sun Mar 05, 2000, 06:25pm
Official Forum Member

I try to take a quick look at the ball right before I blow a 3 second call. That helps to avoid disallowing a basket. It's tough to do.
Old Mon Mar 06, 2000, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Dibbs,
In a situation like that I will hold my whistle to see what happens to the shot. If it goes in I have a no call, if it misses and the violator is in position for a rebound I blow it. Advantage/disadvantage has to be used when call 3 seconds otherwise we'd be calling that all night.
Old Mon Mar 06, 2000, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Dave, I don't think you want to call 3sec. on a miss shot!
Old Tue Mar 07, 2000, 01:25am
Official Forum Member

Suppose.....

6 seconds in half with A1 dribbling deep at about 10ft over division line in frontcourt. A2 already positioned under basket in lane. A1 dribbling to take one shot. Lead blows whistle by just BEFORE A1 unloads a bomb with 2 seconds and it goes in. Buzzer sounds. Lead calls 3 seconds on A2 and after discussing with trail that violation occurred a split second before release of ball, nullifies the 3 ptr. Was this the right call? What would you have done?
Old Tue Mar 07, 2000, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

It sounds like the officials dtermined the outcome of hte game with that call that couldhave been overlooked. I rememebr in a camp someone saying in the last period it SHOULDn"T be handchecking... it better be a push. If you cleaned up the game in the first persiods that three-second wouldn't not have happeneed or should not have been called.

------------------
Old Tue Mar 07, 2000, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

SIP -

It was at halftime, so I was trying to clean things up as you say. That by the way is a very good point. Nip it in the bud. A2 had already been very close to a 3 second count a couple of times. So that was why I was keeping my eye on her as lead. She was a big player and definitely had an advantage inside. I didnt waive off the 3 second count because I felt if the ball had not gone in she had a distinct advantage in putting it back up at the buzzer. And by calling the 3 second on her and nullifying basket, I did not have a problem with her in the second half.
Old Tue Mar 07, 2000, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

jackgil, Did you tell to move? In last few sec. of a period, it has to be obvious to the whole gym for me to make a call, unless its a non-basketball foul. I don't think you have a call from what you described.
Old Tue Mar 07, 2000, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

BArt -

Thanks for your opinion as I was really upset with myself for taking away a good basket (a crowd pleaser at that) due to another player's violation. Kinda like taking away a goal ins soccer because a player not even in the play is offsides. However, I did tell her to move each time and she would move out but come right back in and try to casmp out again. If I am in the same situation again, I will go with the no call though because of my fellow officials points on this.
Old Wed Mar 08, 2000, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dibbs
quote:
Originally posted by Dibbs on 03-03-2000 11:55 AM
This happen to me in a cyo playoff game. As the lead, looking off the ball I had a clear 3 second violation. As I blew my whistle and as my hand went up the ball went threw the hoop.
Could I have gone to my partner and ask if the ball had left the player hand when I blew the whistle and give them the basket, since the violation is off during a shot for goal. The three second call stood and the game went on, but this team lost by two points. I know from now on before I blow my whistle I'am looking to see what the ball is doing!

Thanks to all for your advice, it has been a big help!!

Old Sat Mar 18, 2000, 03:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Alaska Ref
Angry

I can't stand it when working the trail position, and the ball is being moved around and outside the 3point arc and all of a sudden "tweet tweet" 3seconds! My partner informs me later that the player had his foot in the key!!

WOW, the ball was outside the arc and some player had his BIG TOE in the key. Well i like to wait and see if he gets the ball (all the while telling them to get out of the key or starting a verbale count) and then call the violation.

I feel we have to police the key for post play and make sure that the players are not being held in the key, but if we fail to give the players a chance to make the play in the key then we have failed to call the "grey" area of the game and i feel the most important part of the game.

Good Luck All,

------------------
Don