The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 16, 2010, 06:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to mcdanrd Send a message via AIM to mcdanrd Send a message via Yahoo to mcdanrd
Whistle on Technical?

Does the mechanic for a technical foul always involve a blast of the whistle? Had a situation last night where the number one girls HS team in the state was up by about 20 on an unranked team midway 3rd quarter. I call a foul on girl from unranked team and coach immediately calls a time out to discuss the call. During the course of the conversation he informs me that I am "a terrible official." I respond with a blast of the whistle and the good ol' technical foul signal. Was the whistle necessary/required or could I simply have informed the coach, scorekeeper and partner?
Old Sat Jan 16, 2010, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdanrd View Post
Does the mechanic for a technical foul always involve a blast of the whistle? Had a situation last night where the number one girls HS team in the state was up by about 20 on an unranked team midway 3rd quarter. I call a foul on girl from unranked team and coach immediately calls a time out to discuss the call. During the course of the conversation he informs me that I am "a terrible official." I respond with a blast of the whistle and the good ol' technical foul signal. Was the whistle necessary/required or could I simply have informed the coach, scorekeeper and partner?
I always blow the whistle. It lets your partner, table, and everyone else know that you have something. Its just like blowing your whistle for a foul, violation, ect. You wouldnt withold your whistle for a foul would you and then relay everything to your partner and the table?
Old Sat Jan 16, 2010, 07:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to mcdanrd Send a message via AIM to mcdanrd Send a message via Yahoo to mcdanrd
When the game is real ugly I'm often tempted to withhold my whistle
Old Sat Jan 16, 2010, 08:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Never Say Never, Never Say Always ...

Pregame dunk? Scorebook issues? Too many timeouts?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)