The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 21, 2002, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Question

Reading about Bill Stokes' collapse, I had to wonder why there was no replacement/standby official or why that official wasn't used.

Whether you think WNBA is professional or not (let's not get into that again!), this is a league tournament. My state HS association has alternates available for all 2-person games and for some 3-person games during the tournament, and I know that the NCAA men's D-I tourney has an alternate at the table for every game. Does anyone know about the NBA/WNBA policies for subs?
Old Wed Aug 21, 2002, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Since we are in a two man system still, we always have an extra official at the games (HS).

AK ref SE
Old Wed Aug 21, 2002, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

The officials manual states that if for any reason an official cannot continue the game will be finished with 2.
The NBA manual says the same thing, and in fact several NBA games each year are refereed with two person crews due to injury, illness and such.
Old Wed Aug 21, 2002, 12:11pm
In Memoriam

Doesn't the NBA use alternate officials for at least some play-off games,Drake?I'm sure that I've seen one at the table during the finals,but I'm not sure about the rest of the series.I know that they used to use one of the guys assigned to the next game as an alternate official.
Old Wed Aug 21, 2002, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DrakeM
The officials manual states that if for any reason an official cannot continue the game will be finished with 2.
The NBA manual says the same thing, and in fact several NBA games each year are refereed with two person crews due to injury, illness and such.
Don't know if this is covered in the manual, but what if two refs get injured?
Old Wed Aug 21, 2002, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Mark, it is covered in the manual and in that case the game shall be officiated by one official.
Old Wed Aug 21, 2002, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
Originally posted by DrakeM
Don't know if this is covered in the manual, but what if two refs get injured?
Quote:
Originally posted by eroe39
Mark, it is covered in the manual and in that case the game shall be officiated by one official.
Gee, I hate to ask, but what if three refs....

Ahhh, never mind...
Old Wed Aug 21, 2002, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Danvrapp
Gee, I hate to ask, but what if three refs....

Ahhh, never mind...
My guess - home team coach is R, visiting team coach is U, and SCOTUS is called in somewhere along the line. :-D