The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 17, 2010, 01:12pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation One for the books, er, actually not

Worked a couple of HS boys rec games two nights ago. In the first game, we went the entire first half without a single foul! In the second half, one team picked up four fouls and the other picked up only one. That's right, a boys HS rec game with a total of five fouls called. No one complained and I don't believe we missed anything. It wasn't that the teams weren't playing any defense, it was just that they were staying back a little off the ball handler and not using their hands. I thought I was in a dream or something.

Second game was pretty "normal" with the "usual" number of fouls called.

BTW - after those two games at night, I had six the next day (Sat). After the final game, I told my partner I wished I could go home and sleep and eat at the same time because I was so tired and so hungry. He suggested I get an I.V. I thought it was a pretty good suggestion.

Also BTW - my partner for the HS games is a local HS teacher and he had quite a few of the boys in his classes. I was working some HS games with him a while ago and he told one kid that was mouthing off if he didn't stop it, he'd not only get a technical, he'd get detention.
Old Sun Jan 17, 2010, 01:31pm
Esteemed Forum Member

After All, You Seem to Be In An Irreversible Coma Most Of The Time ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
After the final game, I told my partner I wished I could go home and sleep and eat at the same time because I was so tired and so hungry. He suggested I get an I.V.
Or a feeding tube.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Jan 17, 2010, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Also BTW - my partner for the HS games is a local HS teacher and he had quite a few of the boys in his classes. I was working some HS games with him a while ago and he told one kid that was mouthing off if he didn't stop it, he'd not only get a technical, he'd get detention.
The same happened to me when I was a HS teacher: a boy in one of my classes, well known for mouthing off during games, tried to start complaining for a call and stopped suddenly seeing who the official was. Don't argue with your math teacher.

Ciao
Old Sun Jan 17, 2010, 06:52pm
Esteemed Forum Member

"Hey Look Guys. Mr. BlillyMac Is A Referee" ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eg-italy View Post
Don't argue with your math teacher.
Or, in my case, don't argue with your science teacher.

Also, I found that my rapport with some "knucklehead" students improved in school one they viewed me as somebody who had a life outside of the classroom, and shared a love of basketball with them.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Jan 17, 2010, 07:31pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Also, I found that my rapport with some "knucklehead" students improved in school one they viewed me as somebody who had a life outside of the classroom, and shared a love of basketball with them.
Was this one of those students?