The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Substitution (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56467-substitution.html)

Refsmitty Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:05am

Substitution

2 situations last night that I think I missed.

1. Basket goes in - lead blows whistle for a goal tending call - but the ball went in anyway - we allowed subs - right or wrong?

2. I am lead and blow for a delay of game warning - as I notify the book - I have a brain fart and let the subs in - right or wrong?

I assume wrong in both instances!:rolleyes:

Smitty Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:06am

Why do you think you were wrong? If there's a whistle, even if it was an inadvertent whiste, bring the subs in.

Refsmitty Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:09am

We discussed and thought advantage - disadvantage.

Smitty Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:11am

You thought wrong.

chartrusepengui Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Refsmitty (Post 651925)

play was already stopped - let them in

rwest Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:20am

As others have said....

Quote:

Let them sub in. Once you blow your whistle play has stopped and the ball is dead or will become dead once a try has ended. Even on an inadvertent whistle. There is no advantage/disadvantage here.

Adam Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:25am

Quote:

I have to admit I'm curious what you thought A/D had to do with this play.

Subs are to be allowed in anytime the ball is dead with the clock stopped, with a couple of exceptions that don't apply here (free throws or "needs to sit a tick" situations.) Even with inadvertent whistles.

Refsmitty Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:29am

We were thinking that if a coach wanted to get a player in bad enough - he may be willing to take a delay of game warning to stop the clock. It would be his first warning - no biggie...

Smitty Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Refsmitty (Post 651942)
We were thinking that if a coach wanted to get a player in bad enough - he may be willing to take a delay of game warning to stop the clock. It would be his first warning - no biggie...

That could also be interpreted as good coaching. And you would be providing a disadvantage to his team if you disallowed the subs.

Adam Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:32am

Quote:

Ah, gotcha. Well, he'd be ok doing so, too, and risking one of his players later committing another DOG violation. There's no rule or case play saying to ignore the subs here, so by rule you'd have to allow it.

The good news is, he can only do it once.

jdw3018 Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:35am

Quote:

If he wants a player in that bad, that's his choice.

Snaqs identified the exceptions where we don't allow any substitutions (free throws) and where a player is not eligible to substitute yet (hasn't sat a tick after leaving the game), but the only exception I can think of where an eligible substitute is not allowed in the game while the clock is stopped other than the free throw situation is when they report after the first warning horn during a timeout or intermission.

Adam Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:37am

Quote:

By the way, you'll note the NFHS remedy for preventing an unwarranted advantage from a DOG or other defensive violation is simply to ignore or delay the violation, or go straight to a technical foul if necessary.

slow whistle Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:50am

Did you guys pre-game that L would be making goaltending calls?

representing Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 651951)
By the way, you'll note the NFHS remedy for preventing an unwarranted advantage from a DOG or other defensive violation is simply to ignore or delay the violation, or go straight to a technical foul if necessary.

Yeah, was just thinking about that. If a coach were to purposely use DOG to stop the clock in a very close game with a few seconds left, couldn't you either ignore that or T him up (or the player(s) who DOGed it)?

Adam Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by representing (Post 651968)
Yeah, was just thinking about that. If a coach were to purposely use DOG to stop the clock in a very close game with a few seconds left, couldn't you either ignore that or T him up (or the player(s) who DOGed it)?

Yes, there's a case play that instructs us to do just that if the coach does it with less than 5 seconds left.

9.2.10 Comment