The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Question re: Jurisdiction (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56438-question-re-jurisdiction.html)

fiasco Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 651370)
That's funny. :) I'm glad that everyone knows what my position is.

So there is never a situation where you wouldn't call a T on a player for removing his/her jersey while you were still in the confines of the playing court?

rockyroad Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1 (Post 651414)

Side bar:
So if a coach places one foot outside the coaching box, you going to call a technical foul, correct?

Of course, because that's the way the rule is written and that's the way it should be called, by golly.

It's also a T for every assistant coach who ever stands up and yells out a play or a defense and then sits back down.

See, there are no shades in basketball officiating...no judgment is ever involved. It's all black and white and written right there for all to see. To not follow every single letter of the rules is to be less of an official...:rolleyes:

fiasco Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 651572)
Of course, because that's the way the rule is written and that's the way it should be called, by golly.

It's also a T for every assistant coach who ever stands up and yells out a play or a defense and then sits back down.

See, there are no shades in basketball officiating...no judgment is ever involved. It's all black and white and written right there for all to see. To not follow every single letter of the rules is to be less of an official...:rolleyes:

You must have attended Nevada's camp last summer...

Nevada Camp: Black and White With Stripes All Over - Summer 2010 Registrations now being accepted

Juulie Downs Thu Jan 14, 2010 02:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 651413)
Well then okay, do as you believe best. My conscience will be clear that I have done all that I could to steer you down the proper path.

I have advised you of the rule. I have given you the NFHS description of its intent and purpose from when it was introduced. I have even given you a specific case play ruling for the given situation, which explicitly instructs the official what to call.

If you elect to handle this differently, then that's totally up to you.

No one would ever even THINK of blaming you, Nevada! Why is your conscience even an issue....

Ah, geez, I said I wasn't going to flame anyone, and it's only the 14th of Jan and you've already got my hair curling out like my finger's in an electrical socket...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 651413)
This is not a fair criticism because the NFHS rules are written to cover just single games, not multiple games in succession.

The local governing authority for those games would have to make a ruling as to how to handle your scenario. Something such as when the clock starts for the pre-game warm-up for the next contest or when the new teams take the floor, etc.

But when the local governing authority hasn't yet made a ruling...

We get to use our best judgment. Since this rule is aimed at sportsmanship and expressions of disgust or hostility, I think it's perfectly reasonable, and not even remotely pussilanimous to judge that the kid is just in a hurry to get to his job, or is simply trying to avoid the locker room problems, or doesn't know that there's a problem, and is just getting on with his life. None of those situations have anything to do with sportsmanship, and the game is over, and everyone is moving on with their lives. Why throw the bus into reverse, strip the gears, run over a couple or twenty fans, and ruin the entire evening for everyone, if the so-called problem (unsportsmanlike behavior) doesn't even exist?

JRutledge Thu Jan 14, 2010 03:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 651572)

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiasco (Post 651574)
You must have attended Nevada's camp last summer...

Nevada Camp: Black and White With Stripes All Over - Summer 2010 Registrations now being accepted

I just could not stop laughing after these two posts. :D

Peace

BBall_Junkie Thu Jan 14, 2010 03:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juulie Downs (Post 651653)
No one would ever even THINK of blaming you, Nevada! Why is your conscience even an issue....

Ah, geez, I said I wasn't going to flame anyone, and it's only the 14th of Jan and you've already got my hair curling out like my finger's in an electrical socket...

But when the local governing authority hasn't yet made a ruling...

We get to use our best judgment. Since this rule is aimed at sportsmanship and expressions of disgust or hostility, I think it's perfectly reasonable, and not even remotely pussilanimous to judge that the kid is just in a hurry to get to his job, or is simply trying to avoid the locker room problems, or doesn't know that there's a problem, and is just getting on with his life. None of those situations have anything to do with sportsmanship, and the game is over, and everyone is moving on with their lives. Why throw the bus into reverse, strip the gears, run over a couple or twenty fans, and ruin the entire evening for everyone, if the so-called problem (unsportsmanlike behavior) doesn't even exist?

"Bingo"
-Cal Naughton, Jr.

Adam Thu Jan 14, 2010 03:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBall_Junkie (Post 651697)
"Bingo"
-Cal Naughton, Jr.

Do you think Ricky is passing me in my subconscious?

jdw3018 Thu Jan 14, 2010 03:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 651701)

If you ain't first, you're last.

rockyroad Thu Jan 14, 2010 03:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 651701)

Shutup. you little potlicker! I'll come over there and shove you in the microwave.

Adam Thu Jan 14, 2010 03:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 651705)
Shutup. you little potlicker! I'll come over there and shove you in the microwave.

Old man, I'm gonna come at you like a spider monkey!

just another ref Thu Jan 14, 2010 04:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juulie Downs (Post 651653)

Very well put. In Nevada's defense, (can't believe I said that) the main problem is still the wording of the rule. The posted interp is virtually identical to the OP.

It is written black and white.

He removes his jersey. A technical foul is awarded.

I personally am not gonna say, "I didn't see it." etc. I'm just gonna say, "I'm not calling that because it doesn't make sense." If that gets me in trouble, I'll deal with it.

On the other hand, if an official does make this call, when everyone involved learn the rule, which I feel safe in saying most of them don't know, I don't see how they could put much blame on that official for making the call.
(but they would anyway)

JRutledge Thu Jan 14, 2010 04:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 651721)
Very well put. In Nevada's defense, (can't believe I said that) the main problem is still the wording of the rule. The posted interp is virtually identical to the OP.

It is written black and white.

He removes his jersey. A technical foul is awarded.

I personally am not gonna say, "I didn't see it." etc. I'm just gonna say, "I'm not calling that because it doesn't make sense." If that gets me in trouble, I'll deal with it.

On the other hand, if an official does make this call, when everyone involved learn the rule, which I feel safe in saying most of them don't know, I don't see how they could put much blame on that official for making the call.
(but they would anyway)

I am not going to be on the court to see it. So I will say that with confidence and stand by those words. ;)

Peace

Raymond Sat Jan 16, 2010 07:45pm

Thanks Jurassic for jinxing me. :mad:

I'm trail tableside. Lead calls team control foul on Red12. As I get ready to head downcourt to be new Lead table gets my attention and informs me Red12 has 5 fouls. I start my procedure: signal "5" to partners, inform coach (sub is already up and headed towards table with warm-up top on), tell table to start countdown, turn to inform player (he is already on the bench). When I turn back to wave in sub there is a young man standing there with red shorts and a white tank top on. :eek: Before I can say a word he steps on the court. Crowd starts laughing. He had pulled his jersey off with his warm-up top and didn't realize it.

I, of course, did not T him up. Had him get his warm-up top off the floor and get his jersey out from it.

Jurassic Referee Sat Jan 16, 2010 08:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 652325)
I, of course, did not T him up.

LOL.....kinda hard to blow a whistle when you're laughing, ain't it? :D