The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 20, 2002, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Has anybody heard of the Maccabi Games? I never had, until I got called to work some of the basketball tournament. Apparently, the Maccabi Games are sort of like the Junior Olympics for teams sponsored by Jewish organizations/synagogues/community centers. Teams compete in basketball, baseball, tennis, table tennis, among other sports. Teams are here in Springfield, Mass from California to England to Israel.

It's been a mostly positive experience so far. The coaches are like coaches always are. Some are good sports, others are idiots.

Certainly not earth-shattering news, but I'd never heard of the Maccabi Games, so I thought I'd share it. Definitely worth supporting if you get the chance.

Chuck
Old Tue Aug 20, 2002, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Chuck:
I have heard of them because one of my (Jewish) friends has a daughter who competed a few years back, somewhere in Massachusetts or New England. She was a HS championship gymnast from Randolph. I think they alternate to Europe every other year, if I recall correctly. Anyway, it was an exciting opportunity for the athletes.
Old Tue Aug 20, 2002, 03:04pm
In Memoriam

Chuck,your Maccabi games sound like a local adjunct to the Maccabiah Games-which are held every four years and have been going on for the last 60 years or so.The Maccabiah games are kinda like a Jewish Olympics.I believe that the last one was held in 2001,and the next scheduled international event is a Pan-American event to be held somewhere in South America in 2003.The U.S.A. and other countries enter teams in the various events,with the only proviso being that the participants must be of the Jewish faith.If I remember right,Australia hosted the 1997 games.
Btw,I am not Jewish but I know people who have both participated and officiated in the Maccabiah Games.
It sounds like your Maccabi Games are kinda like a preliminary meet to the Maccabiah Games.
Old Tue Aug 20, 2002, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

I have heard of the Maccabiah Games, mainly because a friend of mine represented Australia at the last games. I'm suprised more people haven't heard of it given the large Jewish population of the USA, as well as the media coverage the last games got. For those that aren't aware, the last games were held in Israel, and a pedistrian foot-bridge collapsed with over 100 people on it. I can't remember the exact numbers but over a dozen people drowned or were crushed to death, and tens more were injured. This got huge coverage in the media here - I think in the end the builder, developer and deisgner of the bridge all got charged with manslaughter. The compensation battle has only recently ended.

As to the quality of the basketball - apparently it is pretty good - about the equivalent of a medium level NCAA game.

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Tue Aug 20, 2002, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Oz Referee
As to the quality of the basketball - apparently it is pretty good - about the equivalent of a medium level NCAA game.
What I have seen this week is not NCAA-caliber basketball. That might be normal fluctuation in the available talent; but I would say that the quality of ball has been good-to-very good HS varsity ball. The top 2 or 3 HS teams in my area would beat most of the teams that I've seen so far.

Chuck
Old Tue Aug 20, 2002, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
I worked these games in Houston when they were here a couple of years ago. It was adequate play at the higher levels, but the kids did show good sportsmanship. It was fun to work.
Old Tue Aug 20, 2002, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Oz Referee
What I have seen this week is not NCAA-caliber basketball. That might be normal fluctuation in the available talent; but I would say that the quality of ball has been good-to-very good HS varsity ball. The top 2 or 3 HS teams in my area would beat most of the teams that I've seen so far.

Chuck
I think we must be talking about different games - the Maccabiah Games is a senior international competition - not a kids competition. Maybe what you have seen is an American Junior equiivalent.

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Tue Aug 20, 2002, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

I'm sure you're right, Oz. I tried to say that in the original post by calling them a "Junior Olympics". The teams are all 16 and under. Even the best team would get wiped out by even a lousy D3 team.

Chuck
Old Tue Aug 20, 2002, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

Maccabi Games are the Jewish Olympics

I worked the Varsity level kids at the Atlanta Maccabi games, not sure on spelling. I had the Championship girls and boys of the 16 year olds. These are considered the Jewish Olympics for youth. It is held every 4 years at a different location. The level of Basketball was pretty good. Probably like single A level or maybe a little higher than Christian Varsity. The pay was decent at $35.00 per game. I did about 4 games a day for the week. So made some good vacation money. The kids were well disciplined and majority of coaches respectful. I enjoyed the experience.
Old Wed Aug 21, 2002, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Maccabi Games

It is good the Maccabiah Games have hit this web page.

Here is the real story.

The Maccabiah games are held in Israel every 4 years. The last one was July 2001. The bridge collapsed 5 years ago. I know, because my son-in-law to be was on the bridge. Four Austrialian athletes died as a result. He reluctantly went to the 2001 games where he met my daughter. They will get married soon.

Between the International Maccabiah Games in Israel, there are Pan-American games. Next year they will be in Caracas Venezuela.

The organization that manages teams in about 20 sports, is MaccabiUSA. This organization recruits coaches, players and managers to go to the games.

The games you officiated at are the Maccabi JCC games. These are organized for high school age (up to 19) children by local Jewish Community Centers. They are held at several venues each year (this year I think there were 6 venues). There is a cordial but not a contractual link between the two sets of games.

I hope this adds clarification.

By the way, I am the manager of the Women's basketball team going to Venezuela. If you know of any good female basketball player, please let me know.

thanks

roy