The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Hell of a game last night, feedback on a OOB call... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56404-hell-game-last-night-feedback-oob-call.html)

Rich Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDurham (Post 651021)
I was just thinking that since you wouldnt have a jump ball there was no need to give the signal.

You mean like on just about every held ball?

IUgrad92 Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berkut (Post 650573)
Thanks for all the pointers guys. It's these little tweaks that really make the difference between a good official and an excellent one. I think I am good, but I want to be excellent.

Appreciate the feedback.

Take-away: In the future, maybe don't even signal at all until I confer, that was I don't have to reverse anything, should I decide my initial view was

A) Wrong, give the ball to white, or
B) Still not sure, go to the arrow.

I agree that 2-person mechanics, each official always has 2 boundary lines. But if you guys do it differently for backcourt, so be it.

From your OP, if you knew beyond doubt the direction you would have signaled it immediately, I'm assuming. Since you hesitated and looked to your partner for help, you have limited yourself to 2 options. 1) He signals the direction and you move on, or 2) he signals to you that he's not sure, and at that point you would signal jump ball and go AP.

Once you look to your partner for help, I think it's in your best interest to NOT make the call because of the hesitation. Going AP is not the end of the world. Just tell the one coach that's still upset that it was one of those bang-bang plays that neither of you saw, and that you're not going to guess. The conversation should end there!

referee99 Wed Jan 13, 2010 01:07pm

Berkut, dont discount Bob's #2...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 650540)
1) I think it's your partner's call (he has that line, even in the BC, even in transitions).

2) You can try reading the players before making a call.

I know you were looking away toward partner for help, but the players reactions can speak volumes.

BillyMac Wed Jan 13, 2010 07:49pm

It Doesn't Work Well In Transition ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 650734)
Give the official the line based on whose primary it is. The argument is that, especially in the front court above the FT line extended, the lead is not even looking there (cause it's not their primary). Interesting, but I've pretty much dismissed that thinking -- how can a trail call a ball that slowly approaches the sideline and may or may not have touched OOB on the other side of the court?

IAABO mechanics give this as an option.

mbyron Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IUgrad92 (Post 651079)
I agree that 2-person mechanics, each official always has 2 boundary lines.

Trail has 3 lines. ;)

IUgrad92 Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 651518)
Trail has 3 lines. ;)

Agreed, but I don't consider the division line a boundary line, which I specified. :rolleyes:

fiasco Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:56pm

Quote:

Trail has 3 lines. ;)

I had a partner once who did 3 lines before the game...does that count? :D

Rich Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiasco (Post 651576)
I had a partner once who did 3 lines before the game...does that count? :D

$3.50 buys a can of 5 Hour Energy. Cheaper than the lines.

fiasco Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:59pm

Quote:

Trail has 3 lines. ;)

Actually, as trail you have two lines and as lead you have two lines. There shouldn't be a situation where you are actively covering three lines at once. If so, you got problems.

bob jenkins Thu Jan 14, 2010 01:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiasco (Post 651578)
Actually, as trail you have two lines and as lead you have two lines. There shouldn't be a situation where you are actively covering three lines at once. If so, you got problems.

Division line.

fiasco Thu Jan 14, 2010 01:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 651579)
Division line.

Yes, I realize this.

As lead, you have the endline and the sideline closest to you.

As trail, you have the division line and the sideline closest to you. (Technically speaking, you have the endline at the other end of the court, but by the time you get down there, for all intents and purposes, you are new lead.)

BillyMac Thu Jan 14, 2010 06:54pm

Optional Option ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiasco (Post 651583)
As lead, you have the endline and the sideline closest to you. As trail, you have the division line and the sideline closest to you. (Technically speaking, you have the endline at the other end of the court, but by the time you get down there, for all intents and purposes, you are new lead.)

You guys that are using NFHS mechanics are lucky. Two-person IAABO mechanics give officials a few options which must be pregamed. For example, the lead may have the sideline only up to the free throw line extended, so the trail has his own sideline and the opposite sideline from the free throw line extended all the way back to the backcourt endline, basically your primary coverage area. My personal opinion is that an out of bounds call should almost be instinctive, and should be called decisively, almost all the time. It's tough to go from a game with partner A on Tuesday night using boundary responsibilities similar to those used by the NFHS, and then use the new IAABO boundary responsibilities on Friday night with partner B. I wish IAABO would go with one, or the other, and forget the options.

The manual is also poorly written. It describes the new IAABO option, but doesn't bother to explain what to do if you choose not to use the option. Also, the new option doesn't work in transition, or during a press/press break situation.

Raymond Fri Jan 15, 2010 09:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiasco (Post 651583)
Yes, I realize this.

As lead, you have the endline and the sideline closest to you.

As trail, you have the division line and the sideline closest to you. (Technically speaking, you have the endline at the other end of the court, but by the time you get down there, for all intents and purposes, you are new lead.)

Really? So if B1 deflects a pass into the backcourt and A1 retrieves it near the endline, the trail now becomes the new lead?

Or A1 gets trapped in the backcourt in corner by the division line and sideline and then throws a pass all the back to the endline to A2.

Appears to me that in both of those situations that the Trail needs to be paying attention to 3 lines.