The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Bogus?

My partner and I were watching the 1st half of V last night after our JV contest and heard an official tell the bench "Remember - there is no water during 30 second time outs". I assume he told them that to keep the game moving - is this a rule. Neither of us have seen it anywhere in our reading.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refsmitty View Post
My partner and I were watching the 1st half of V last night after our JV contest and heard an official tell the bench "Remember - there is no water during 30 second time outs". I assume he told them that to keep the game moving - is this a rule. Neither of us have seen it anywhere in our reading.
....and when one of the players passes out from dehydration and goes to the hospital, that official will be getting sued....
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 09:20am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
No talking during the timeout too?
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It *might* have been the rule when the 20-sec TO was first introduced, but it hasn't been the rule for many years now.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think that this myth began when the Delay of Game warnings were grouped together allowing only one total between the group of Delays.
Rule 4-47 WARNING FOR DELAY
A warning to a team for delay is an administrative procedure by an official
which is recorded in the scorebook by the scorer and reported to the coach:
ART. 1 . . . For throw-in plane violations, as in 9-2-10, 10-1-5c.
ART. 2 . . . For huddle by either team and contact with the free thrower, as in
10-1-5d.
ART. 3 . . . For interfering with the ball following a goal as in 10-1-5e.
ART. 4 . . . For failure to have the court ready for play following any time-out
as in 10-1-5f.

I did not find the play in this year's Case Book, but I think I remember a Case Play/Rules Interp in which a team spilled water on the court during a time out (typically would be during a 30 second time out since during full time outs players would be drinking while sitting on the bench). That team was to be given a Delay of Game Warning since the court was not ready for play following the time out.

Perhaps, the official took this play to mean that USING water on the court was illegal. That is the only explanation I can give as to where such a myth would originate.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
Perhaps, the official took this play to mean that USING water on the court was illegal. That is the only explanation I can give as to where such a myth would originate.
There is a percentage of refs who kinda know a little about this rule and kind of a little bout that rule.

So combine this and that and they come up with some interesting stuff.