The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 12:30pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation Another game from H-E-double hockey sticks

Last night, girls 5th grade game. At the end of the game, the scorekeeper told us she kept track of the jump balls. There were 52 of them (that averages 13 per quarter). Also, both teams were in double bonus in the first half, and one was in double bonus in the second half with the other being in single bonus. A total of four free throws were made in the entire game. Five girls fouled out. Both teams used all five of their timeouts. The game took an hour and fifty-five minutes - and that was with a four minute halftime and one minute between periods.

Oh yeah - the home team won 14-8.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 12:32pm
Archaic Power Monger

Let 'em play you big meanie.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 12:36pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Last night, girls 5th grade game. At the end of the game, the scorekeeper told us she kept track of the jump balls. There were 52 of them (that averages 13 per quarter). Also, both teams were in double bonus in the first half, and one was in double bonus in the second half with the other being in single bonus. A total of four free throws were made in the entire game. Five girls fouled out. Both teams used all five of their timeouts. The game took an hour and fifty-five minutes - and that was with a four minute halftime and one minute between periods.

Oh yeah - the home team won 14-8.
Look at the bright side. You didn't have to issue a T to keep it out of OT.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

$$

Mark,
I only get paid for HS games, yet I call 30-40 parks and wreck games every year. What do you get paid for wreck games, does it matter the level of the wreck? (catchy pun)
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 02:14pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudwhistle View Post
Mark,
I only get paid for HS games, yet I call 30-40 parks and wreck games every year. What do you get paid for wreck games, does it matter the level of the wreck? (catchy pun)
PAID!?!?!? YOU CAN GET PAID!?!?!?

OK - for this "competitive" league, we get $30/game paid at the game, usually in cash. For my local kids rec league, I get $23 for 3rd thru 8th grade and $25 for HS. That's off a sliding scale based on number of seasons worked for that league - and that's the highest rate - and those games are running clock for 3rd & 4th grade, 6 minute quarters for 5th & 6th grade and 7 minute quarters for 7th grade thru HS. When I work at the YMCA in Beaverton, I get $20 regardless of level, so I work there only as a "last resort". "Stand alone" kids tournaments around here usually pay anywhere from $20 to $25 but usually entail running clock so the games are somewhat shorter.

I also used to work games for a huge Park & Rec district in the Beaverton area but that's been a few years and I don't know their current rates. I see refs from that association all the time and they tell me they'd like to have me back, but I just don't have the time.

I should mention that in the $30 league, if you work alone, you get only $35, which sucks. In my local kids rec league, you get 1 1/2 times your normal rate, which is fair. I really don't know what you get at the Y if you work alone since it's never happened to me.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
PAID!?!?!? YOU CAN GET PAID!?!?!?

OK - for this "competitive" league, we get $30/game paid at the game, usually in cash. For my local kids rec league, I get $23 for 3rd thru 8th grade and $25 for HS. That's off a sliding scale based on number of seasons worked for that league - and that's the highest rate - and those games are running clock for 3rd & 4th grade, 6 minute quarters for 5th & 6th grade and 7 minute quarters for 7th grade thru HS. When I work at the YMCA in Beaverton, I get $20 regardless of level, so I work there only as a "last resort". "Stand alone" kids tournaments around here usually pay anywhere from $20 to $25 but usually entail running clock so the games are somewhat shorter.

I also used to work games for a huge Park & Rec district in the Beaverton area but that's been a few years and I don't know their current rates. I see refs from that association all the time and they tell me they'd like to have me back, but I just don't have the time.

I should mention that in the $30 league, if you work alone, you get only $35, which sucks. In my local kids rec league, you get 1 1/2 times your normal rate, which is fair. I really don't know what you get at the Y if you work alone since it's never happened to me.
Thanks Mark, I appreciate the long, detailed post. You must have taken typing lessons from Snaqwells. Someday I'm going to draw an elk tag in your state and if I'm near you, I would like to come work a game with you or at the very least heckle you from the crowd until you have me removed!
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 05:11pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
... or at the very least heckle you from the crowd until you have me removed!
So...you'd be gone inside the first minute?
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

Less than 10

The first 10 seconds! "That toss sucked, my grandma could toss better than that!!"
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 07:00pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
The first 10 seconds! "That toss sucked, my grandma could toss better than that!!"
So your Grandma's a tosser? (British slang reference)
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 02:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So your Grandma's a tosser? (British slang reference)
Must run in the family. Way back when I was 17 working on a commercial halibut boat I could bait the hooks faster than anybody on the boat, the skipper always introduced me to other fisherman as the masterbait**!
Still my favorite way to tease young guys that fish for halibut with me on my boat now!