The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 08, 2010, 12:50pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation 64-4

8th grade boys game last night and the final was 64-4. It was 44-2 at halftime. There's no mercy rule in this league, so we never had running clock, plus the winning team could still press all the way until the end, although they took the press off when they initially got up by about 20. Most of the second half, the winning coach had his team pull back on fast breaks and set up. Also, for about the final 4 minutes, he told them to shoot only threes and to pass the ball at least 3 times in the front court before a shot.

He made sure his bench got as much, if not more, playing time as his starters.

After the game, he told the other teams's kids "You guys played hard the whole game" as he shook all their hands.

Compared to some of the stories about routs that have been here recently, this one seemed like an example of fairly decent sportsmanship.

Here's something funny for you local Portland area guys. In my earlier game, it was Tualatin vs. Lake Oswego. Tualatin had an inbound play named "laker". Every time they called it, the LO boys would just look at each other. For you out of towners, Lake Oswego HS is the "Lakers" and all their lower teams use the same nickname.
Old Fri Jan 08, 2010, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

I was on the plus side of a 62-17 6th grade boys beating on Saturday. We only beat this team by 13 earlier in the year in a pretty good game, so neither I nor the other coach was really ready for this. I had my bench in the majority of the game. We kept breaking their full court press with my bench, and if he had backed off a little and let us play halfcourt the margin wouldn't have been nearly as lopsided.
Old Fri Jan 08, 2010, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
8th grade boys game last night and the final was 64-4. It was 44-2 at halftime. There's no mercy rule in this league, so we never had running clock, plus the winning team could still press all the way until the end, although they took the press off when they initially got up by about 20. Most of the second half, the winning coach had his team pull back on fast breaks and set up. Also, for about the final 4 minutes, he told them to shoot only threes and to pass the ball at least 3 times in the front court before a shot.

He made sure his bench got as much, if not more, playing time as his starters.

After the game, he told the other teams's kids "You guys played hard the whole game" as he shook all their hands.

Compared to some of the stories about routs that have been here recently, this one seemed like an example of fairly decent sportsmanship.

Here's something funny for you local Portland area guys. In my earlier game, it was Tualatin vs. Lake Oswego. Tualatin had an inbound play named "laker". Every time they called it, the LO boys would just look at each other. For you out of towners, Lake Oswego HS is the "Lakers" and all their lower teams use the same nickname.
There are ways to keep your team into the game and working hard without humiliating the other team. This coach found a few. Continuing to play the same way -- pressing/fastbreaking -- all game is just a cop out by the coach. If they play against a smart team, the press will not necessarily be effective and they will not score many baskets in transition. Therefore, EVENTUALLY ALL TEAMS must know how to run a 1/2 court offense and play good solid half court defense. There is no better time to try something new than when you are in a blowout game.
Old Fri Jan 08, 2010, 06:05pm
Esteemed Forum Member

One Of The Good Guys ...

Quote:
They took the press off when they initially got up by about 20... His team pull back on fast breaks and set up... He told them to shoot only threes...To pass the ball at least 3 times in the front court before a shot... His bench got as much, if not more, playing time as his starters...He told the other team's kids "You guys played hard the whole game" as he shook all their hands.
Mark Padgett: Next time you see this gentleman, please shake his hand on behalf of BillyMac, from 3000 miles away.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Jan 08, 2010 at 06:41pm.
Old Fri Jan 08, 2010, 06:54pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Mark Padgett: Next time you see this gentleman, please shake his hand on behalf of BillyMac, from 3000 miles away.

Is that Vlade Divac?

No disrespect intended - just a joke.
Old Fri Jan 08, 2010, 08:56pm
Esteemed Forum Member

J.C. Meet Vlade, You Two Could Be Identical Twins ...

Quote:
Is that Vlade Divac?
No. Vlade Divac is a member of the Eastern Orthodox Catholic Church. The guy in my first photo is Jewish, although I do see the resemblance.

Quote:
No disrespect intended, just a joke.
Disrespect? I can't speak for other Forum members, but when I post a photo of J.C. as a basketball official, you've got to believe that I have a sense of humor.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Jan 08, 2010 at 08:59pm.
Old Fri Jan 08, 2010, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

I saw a 66-0 girls Sophomore girls basketball game as the scorekeeper on Tuesday. Losing team only took one shot in the 2nd half.
Old Sat Jan 09, 2010, 12:57pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Back in 2000, our CYO JV Boys (grade 4-6) Team was almost all 4th and 5th graders and we were placed into a division of teams with all 6th graders.

Our opening game was a 46-0 loss.

I've never been on the winning side of a shutout, although I was witness to High School JV girls games that ended 34-1 and 88-4.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Sat Jan 09, 2010, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No. Vlade Divac is a member of the Eastern Orthodox Catholic Church. The guy in my first photo is Jewish, although I do see the resemblance.

Disrespect? I can't speak for other Forum members, but when I post a photo of J.C. as a basketball official, you've got to believe that I have a sense of humor.
I'm not sure He is officiating there. There is no division line between those kids!
Old Sat Jan 09, 2010, 02:57pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach View Post
I'm not sure He is officiating there. There is no division line between those kids!
Vlade's mechanic seems to indicate he saw Billy Mac's post.
Old Sat Jan 09, 2010, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Well, it would certainly go against his "rep" to suggest he was the big kid being a bully and playing keepaway from the little kids. I figure the game being depicted was, understandably, being played under a much older version of the rules. And way, way back, they used to conduct jump balls not only at center court, and not just at either free throw line, but anywhere on the court.
Old Sat Jan 09, 2010, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Even Jesus wouldn't be allowed to ref in that "garb" in our association. And he's not wearing it for religious reasons, it was just the standard wear of his day. So I, like Penn Coach, didn't realize he was reffing there!
Old Sat Jan 09, 2010, 06:27pm
Esteemed Forum Member

w.w.j.d. ???

I accidentally came across the first photo on the internet, and only gave it a cursory glance before posting it on the Forum. I thought J.C. was tossing a jump ball. However, I went back to the website and found other J.C. sports figurines, all depicted J.C. as a player, so I guess A Pennsylvania Coach and Juulie Downs are right, he is being a bully playing keep away with the obviously much shorter kids. The football figurine is really funny, J.C. as a running back taking a handoff from the quarterback. Probably a trick play. I bet he's really going to throw a "Hail Mary" pass.

Old Sat Jan 09, 2010, 06:40pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
I accidentally came across the first photo on the internet, and only gave it a cursory glance before posting it on the Forum. I thought J.C. was tossing a jump ball. However, I went back to the website and found other J.C. sports figurines, all depicted J.C. as a player, so I guess A Pennsylvania Coach and Juulie Downs are right, he is being a bully playing keep away with the obviously much shorter kids. The football figurine is really funny, J.C. as a running back taking a handoff from the quarterback. Probably a trick play. I bet he's really going to throw a "Hail Mary" pass.

Well, maybe the Statue of Liberty play. Or the flea flicker.

The basketball could be pre-game and he still has his warm-ups on.