The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

From Ref to Evaluator

Due to extensive injuries in a near fatal crash, I am evaluating officials this year. Hopefully rehab will get me back to full swing next year.

As an evaluator, it seams you need to know the rule book and mechanics better than anyone else. I get alot of questions about both and it has forced me to be a better.

I have watched ove 30 games this year so far and evaluated over 70 officials. There is a common thread I would like to share with everyone that I have seen.

1) Most officials desire to do the game right. They are sincere, but sincerity does not mean the official is right.

2) Younger officials and officials who have been to camps are more open to the evaluations than older officials and those who have never been to a camp.

3) The great majority wants to know how great they did. Very few want to know what they need to improve on.

4) I don't tell anyone that they made they wrong call. I always ask them what did they see on that play or where were they looking. So I discuss angles, referee the defense, referee from the outside in, etc. If they ask me what I think, I will tell them from my angle this is what I saw.

5) Mechanics (position and angles) make up for 90% of the errors made on the court. With that 90% is selling the call or showing confidence in the call that was made.

6) If you are consistent/inconsistent on one end of the floor, you will be on the other end.

7) Officiating is more than putting on a uniform, blowing a whistle, getting into position. It is about being able to manage the game, players, coaches, and fans. The demeanor, court presence, confidence, communication, and crediblity are criteria that are the differences from being a Dave Libby or a Greg Willard and were most officials are today.

Lastly, it is just a game. Life is too short. Enjoy the games you officiate. Be the best official at the level you are at. It was taken away from me this year and almost my life. You don't know how quick things can change in the instant of a second. I am grateful to still be able to contribute.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iref4him View Post
Due to extensive injuries in a near fatal crash, I am evaluating officials this year. Hopefully rehab will get me back to full swing next year.

As an evaluator, it seams you need to know the rule book and mechanics better than anyone else. I get alot of questions about both and it has forced me to be a better.

I have watched ove 30 games this year so far and evaluated over 70 officials. There is a common thread I would like to share with everyone that I have seen.

1) Most officials desire to do the game right. They are sincere, but sincerity does not mean the official is right.

2) Younger officials and officials who have been to camps are more open to the evaluations than older officials and those who have never been to a camp.

3) The great majority wants to know how great they did. Very few want to know what they need to improve on.

4) I don't tell anyone that they made they wrong call. I always ask them what did they see on that play or where were they looking. So I discuss angles, referee the defense, referee from the outside in, etc. If they ask me what I think, I will tell them from my angle this is what I saw.

5) Mechanics (position and angles) make up for 90% of the errors made on the court. With that 90% is selling the call or showing confidence in the call that was made.

6) If you are consistent/inconsistent on one end of the floor, you will be on the other end.

7) Officiating is more than putting on a uniform, blowing a whistle, getting into position. It is about being able to manage the game, players, coaches, and fans. The demeanor, court presence, confidence, communication, and crediblity are criteria that are the differences from being a Dave Libby or a Greg Willard and were most officials are today.

Lastly, it is just a game. Life is too short. Enjoy the games you officiate. Be the best official at the level you are at. It was taken away from me this year and almost my life. You don't know how quick things can change in the instant of a second. I am grateful to still be able to contribute.
Good post, I don't really agree with the highlighted IMO

-General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j51969 View Post
The image you project and how you make yourself look on the court can help you in getting over with fans. I realize that it isn't our ultimate goal, but it does help if they think you're legitimate. Good mechanics, selling calls, etc. help with that IMO.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the post, iref4him. It's nice to get a glimpse into the life of an evaluator. And I'm glad you're able to share your experience in an effort to help others.

Out of curiosity... in your experience, what is the best seat in a gym to observe from?
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Curious, why not? As like most of these threads it probably involves semantics.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 10:47am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcof83 View Post
Thanks for the post, iref4him. It's nice to get a glimpse into the life of an evaluator. And I'm glad you're able to share your experience in an effort to help others.

Out of curiosity... in your experience, what is the best seat in a gym to observe from?
Sorry, that seat is taken by the assistant coach.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 10:55am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Good Post on Evaluations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Sorry, that seat is taken by the assistant coach.
And we all know they are EXCELLENT evaluators of officials!

iref4him - hope you get better and make it back onto the court!
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 11:05am
Huck Finn

I think officials with varying experience need to read this and determine what category they fit in. It seems as though many officials think the hard work is over once the assignor gives them a game or even when the final horn sounds. Not so.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Curious, why not? As like most of these threads it probably involves semantics.
I am not saying I discount them. My interaction is limited to a smile or a joke on the sideline. It all comes down to what you mean by "manage" when it comes to fans. I have a good time when I ref, and can't think of a time when I have had to get involved with any negative dealings with someone in the stands. I once had a dad come on the court right at half-time to confront a partner of mine. The assistant coach for the home team was about 6-6 and 300lbs (head football coach). This guy was drunk and quickly taken care of. His daughter was mortified. That was at least 15 years ago.

Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

When I say manage the fans, I don't mean control them or get in there face. But showing professionalism and having a demeanor that is non-threatening. I have seen officials confront fans and talk back to them. The better ones ignore and continue to officiate. When fans get out of control they let adminstration deal with them. Also, some fans are there at the game to enjoy the game. You know who they are. They are the ones who say funny things to you, not being obnoxious, etc. But you just smile and go on. But managing fans is managing your emotions and demeanor to them.

At all possible I sit in the position where the best view but that depends on the gym and availability of seating. I try to sit about 3-4 rows behind the scorer and timer. I see how the foul reporting goes, how they interact with the officials at the scorer's table. If I can hear their voice then scorer should also. I notice a majority of officials do not keep eye contact with the scorer. The scorer's head is down most of the time while they are reporting fouls and TOs.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 12:14pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcof83 View Post
One where the officials being evaluated can't see you and don't know that you're in the gym....

JMO......
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I am not saying I discount them. My interaction is limited to a smile or a joke on the sideline. It all comes down to what you mean by "manage" when it comes to fans. I have a good time when I ref, and can't think of a time when I have had to get involved with any negative dealings with someone in the stands. I once had a dad come on the court right at half-time to confront a partner of mine. The assistant coach for the home team was about 6-6 and 300lbs (head football coach). This guy was drunk and quickly taken care of. His daughter was mortified. That was at least 15 years ago.
Didn't see fans highlighted. I understand your thinking.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Drunk Dad on court? Shooter from Hoosiers!
Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post

Drunk Dad on court? Shooter from Hoosiers!
Ya, it was pretty embarrassing for the young lady.

Old Wed Jan 06, 2010, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
One where the officials being evaluated can't see you and don't know that you're in the gym....

JMO......
It's really interesting to notice. When they know I am there they have a tendency to work or try harder. When I am there unnoticed, there has been some who go into cruise or not work as hard.