The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Scorer's Error (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56229-scorers-error.html)

Spence Sun Jan 03, 2010 03:43pm

Scorer's Error

A1 hits a 3 at the buzzer to put his team up by 1 point. Officials check with the table , get the OK, and then head to the lockerroom. They are then notified that the scoreboard was wrong. Its actually a tie game. The book was right but the scoreboard was wrong.

Now what?

2.11.10 B says that a score can be corrected any time prior to the final score being approved.

Does the act of leaving the visual confines of the floor "approve" the final score?

Adam Sun Jan 03, 2010 04:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spence (Post 648097)
Does the act of leaving the visual confines of the floor "approve" the final score?

See when the officials' jurisdiction ends, per rule.

Also, however, note which scoring mechanism is official. It seems to me that the officials have walked to the locker room during the brief intermission prior to OT.

Indianaref Sun Jan 03, 2010 04:09pm

Yes.

Jurassic Referee Sun Jan 03, 2010 04:31pm

Quote:

A1 hits a 3 at the buzzer to put his team up by 1 point. Officials check with the table , get the OK, and then head to the lockerroom. They are then notified that the scoreboard was wrong. Its actually a tie game. <font color = red>The book was right</font> but the scoreboard was wrong.

Now what?

2.11.10 B says that a score can be corrected any time prior to the final score being approved.

If the book was right and the score was tied, the officials come back out and do the overtime.

Case book play 2.11.10B is completely irrelevant. There was NO bookkeeping error and there is NO reason to correct the score as it was correct.

The scoreboard is not official. The book is.

BillyMac Sun Jan 03, 2010 04:58pm

Only Time, Ever ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 648100)
Note which scoring mechanism is official. It seems to me that the officials have walked to the locker room during the brief intermission prior to OT.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 648105)
If the book was right and the score was tied, the officials come back out and do the overtime. The scoreboard is not official. The book is.

Would this situation be the only time, ever, that officials are to come back out onto the court after leaving the visual confines of the court at the "end" of a game?

Mark Padgett Sun Jan 03, 2010 05:07pm

The issue is moot because A1's shot came after the buzzer. :cool:

representing Sun Jan 03, 2010 05:30pm

Quote:

A1 hits a 3 at the buzzer to put his team up by 1 point. Officials check with the table , get the OK, and then head to the lockerroom. They are then notified that the scoreboard was wrong. Its actually a tie game. The book was right but the scoreboard was wrong.

Now what?

Common sense would tell me that since the book is official and the scoreboard is not, it would have to continue into OT. If the opposite were to happen (tied on the board, but the book has one team ahead by a point) then game is over. This is what I would've done, not saying it is correct. Rule book is not in front of me, but in the car.

icallfouls Sun Jan 03, 2010 05:49pm

Did this happen is SE Washington state?

How could that be?

just another ref Sun Jan 03, 2010 06:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 648108)
Would this situation be the only time, ever, that officials are to come back out onto the court after leaving the visual confines of the court at the "end" of a game?

I think the point is it was not the end.

BillyMac Sun Jan 03, 2010 07:04pm

“Every end is a new beginning” (Proverb)

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 648136)
I think the point is it was not the end.

Thus, the quotes in my post.

chseagle Sun Jan 03, 2010 07:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by icallfouls (Post 648117)
Did this happen is SE Washington state?

How could that be?

When I'm doing scoreboard/timer, I'm continually talking with the official book. I can't help the fact that the person doing book may not be doing their job correctly. due to their friends being there talking to them or distracting them, or cell phone glued in hand.

In this case, it sounds like neither one was communicating with one another.

Adam Sun Jan 03, 2010 08:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 648148)
When I'm doing scoreboard/timer, I'm continually talking with the official book. I can't help the fact that the person doing book may not be doing their job correctly. due to their friends being there talking to them or distracting them, or cell phone glued in hand.

yeah, because it certainly couldn't be the scoreboard operator's fault. :rolleyes:

26 Year Gap Sun Jan 03, 2010 08:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 648161)
yeah, because it certainly couldn't be the scoreboard operator's fault. :rolleyes:

You mean the 'continually talking' could be a distraction?

fullor30 Sun Jan 03, 2010 08:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 648148)

Attending one of your games is on my bucket list.

chseagle Sun Jan 03, 2010 09:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap (Post 648167)
You mean the 'continually talking' could be a distraction?

When I was meaning continually talking with the official scorer, it has to do with the running score, player fouls, & team fouls. Not distracting them by talking about the latest fashion trends, who's seeing who, etc.

Yes, continually talking can be considered a distraction especially if it's not related to the game.