The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Grey Shirts at the D1 level (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56217-grey-shirts-d1-level.html)

Nevadaref Sat Jan 02, 2010 08:26pm

Grey Shirts at the D1 level

Opening game of the WAC conference with the Nevada men playing at Louisiana Tech and the crew is wearing grey shirts with the thin black pin-stripes and the wide side-panels.

I was stunned to see this as the NCAA released a statement a couple of years ago that they were not to be worn at the D1 level. Has this been reversed or is this just something that the conference is doing on its own? Anyone have any info?

Nevadaref Sat Jan 02, 2010 08:37pm

TV announcer just said that the shirts are a new uniform for the WAC Conference officials.

Nevadaref Sat Jan 02, 2010 08:42pm

This game can be viewed right now on ESPN360.com for those of you who get that service.

eyezen Sat Jan 02, 2010 08:51pm

Also on espn full court

Looks like the Big 8 shirts back in the day

j51969 Sat Jan 02, 2010 09:38pm

what channel on dish

eyezen Sat Jan 02, 2010 09:54pm

tomegun Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:46pm

From what I heard, the NCAA is going with grey shirts next year for everyone. Just something I heard

canuckrefguy Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:51pm

More like the FIBA grey shirts....boy, Padgett won't be happy about that :D

howie719 Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:07pm

It seems like college basketball it constantly trying to differentiate itself from HS basketball. Changing official’s shirts, switching between different rules’ and mechanics. NF having little vision of it's own is usually around one to two years behind them. Kind of like the younger brother following around a big brother. They should just come up with a completely different uniform to delineate the difference between them and HS. Like FIBA and NBA, with a different color, design. and NCAA logo. This would help with the
problem of HS guys looking like complete posers.

SethPDX Sun Jan 03, 2010 01:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by howie719 (Post 647993)
Like FIBA and NBA, with a different color, design. and NCAA logo.

Except that they are not "NCAA" officials until tournament time. Regular season assignments come from the various conferences.

Quote:

Originally Posted by howie719 (Post 647993)
This would help with the
problem of HS guys looking like complete posers.

So they wear the same shirt as college level officials. How is that being a poser?

dahoopref Sun Jan 03, 2010 01:37am

These shirts will be worn for league games in the Mountain West and Western Athletic Conferences. This is possible since there is one assignor for both conferences.

Nevadaref Sun Jan 03, 2010 01:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dahoopref (Post 648015)
These shirts will be worn for league games in the Mountain West and Western Athletic Conferences. This is possible since there is one assignor for both conferences.

So are you saying that Bobby Dibler made this decision?

I'm just wondering how it was determined to not follow the current NCAA rule as published and previous directive. Perhaps it is an experimental trial with the blessing of those who matter.

Rule 2, Section 1. The Officials
Art. 1. The officials shall be:
a. A referee and an umpire; or a referee and two umpires;
b. Two timers, two scorers and a shot-clock operator, who shall assist the
referee and umpire(s). A single timer and single scorer may be used
when they are trained personnel acceptable to the referee.
Art. 2. The officials’ uniform shall be a black-and-white striped shirt that may have a 3-inch-wide black insert, and black pants.

dahoopref Sun Jan 03, 2010 02:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 648017)
So are you saying that Bobby Dibler made this decision?

I'm not sure if he came up with the idea but he at least had to give it his blessing.

Nevadaref Sun Jan 03, 2010 02:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dahoopref (Post 648018)
I'm not sure if he came up with the idea but he at least had to give it his blessing.

I'm just wondering if he had to get the blessing of a higher authority. ;)

Raymond Thu Feb 04, 2010 04:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomegun (Post 647988)
From what I heard, the NCAA is going with grey shirts next year for everyone. Just something I heard

Well, thanks to Donnee, I'll be prepared. :D