The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 15, 2002, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Chicago associations are B.S.

Rut-

Having grown up and living in the northern suburbs, I've had the chance to learn about these associations as opposed to the one I'm a part of in LA (where I'm a student).

My problem with the way things are done in Chicago is that you have an extrmely political system that oftentimes doesn't allow the cream to rise to the top. I can remember during my high school days (I went to a school in the Central Suburban League, before they went to 3-man) there would oftentimes be officials that were, to be frank, terrible. And they continued to work varsity games, simply because they were "in" with the assignor.

In LA, while the same politics exist, there is still much more room for younger and newer officials to climb the ladder faster. This will be my 3rd year in the group, and I'm pretty sure I'll see some varsity action.

It sounds liek you've been fortunate enough to be connected with the right people early on, and that's great. Unfortunately, there are a lot of officials in the Chicagoland area, and some get the short end of the stick.
Old Thu Aug 15, 2002, 05:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

I am not talking Chicagoland.

Matt,

Of course I cannot speak for your situation. But the officials that advance that I have seen or get opportunities are the ones that are willing to travel or go to many camps. Associations that I have seen almost have no assigning influence (at least one over the other). I think that is mainly because no assignor that I work for in the Chicagoland area, is tied to any association. I work for different guys that hold their own camps, make their own evaluations and get recommendations from officials all over the area. Unless you work directly in the City of Chicago and belong to the COA or MOA (I belong to both. Got 3 games from the MOA last year), your involvement in those associations might be the only ones that might have a requirement of membership to do the Chicago Catholic League or the Public League. If you do games in the Suburbs, it is just a matter of travel. All the conferences around where I live are all assigned by individuals that get their own people. You do not need to belong to an association or any particular group to work varsity in those conferences.

I moved to Chicago about 4 years and walked into 2 Person games varsity games in the Suburbs. All I did was go to various camps and show what I had. Of course I gave background of games and places I worked, but I got varsity games after that summer I attended camps. I had not even join an association yet or "got in with the big dawgs."

Politics is everywhere. You will never avoid that.

Peace
Old Thu Aug 15, 2002, 05:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

Let me clarify further.

My comments are not about politics or lack there of. My comments were not about with association is better or not. My comments are only about associations assigning games. No matter how they do it, I think officials get the shaft ultimately. And you have older officials that can keep younger officials from doing bigger games because they can claim, "they are not ready." It seems to me like a basic conflict of interest.

Just my thoughts.

Peace
Old Thu Aug 15, 2002, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Brian, here's the NC structure

NC has a points system to determine whether you're a Class 1, 2, 3, or 4 official. Only Class 1 and 2 officials can wok playoff games.

NCHSAA Classification Index and Promotional Point System

- Class 1 A grade of 90-100 on the examination and a total of 90-100 points on the promotional scale.
- Class 2 A grade of 80-89 on the examination and a total of 80-89 points on the promotional scale.
- Class 3 A grade of 70-79 on the examination and a total of 70-79 points on the promotional scale.
- Class 4 A grade of 60-69 on the examination and a total of 60-69 point on the promotional scale.

PROMOTIONAL POINT SYSTEM
I. Examination - 30 points
National or North Carolina (Emergency Exam)
95-100 30 points (15 points)
90-94 25 points (12 points)
85-89 20 points (10 points)
80-84 15 points (7 points)
75-79 10 points (5 points)
70-74 5 points (2 points)

II. State Clinic Attendance - 15 points (required to work playoffs)

III. Local Association Meeting - 15 points

IV. Local Clinics Attended and Scrimmages - 25 points
Clinics Points (Scrimmages Points)
6 - 18 (2 - 7)
5 - 15 (1 - 3)
4 - 12
3 - 9
2 - 6
1 - 3

V. Games Worked - 10 points
1 - 9 games 5 points
10+ 10 points

VI. Varsity Experience - 5 points
5+ years 5 points
4 years 4 points
3 years 3 points
2 years 2 points
1 year 1 point

Local associations conduct the clinics. Do you have to attend clinics? No. But why would an assigner give games to an official who doesn't care enough about the avocation to come to meetings and improve himself? I wouldn't give games to such a person. As with anything else, you get out it what you put into it.
Old Tue Aug 20, 2002, 12:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
In Texas we are required to attend 5 meetings in order to receive our points for meetings. Each point goes toward reaching a desired level or standing. There is one meeting that all members are required to attend and that is the rules meeting. After that all meetings are optional. I agree with Rut. Attending the meetings is like attending church. You must attend to get your mind in the proper focus to be ready to officiate games.