The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 01, 2010, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
I left plenty of time, knowing that Lakeridge is tricky to get to in the best of times, but didn't expect to arrive more than about 20 minutes early.
Serious question here. Is arriving at the site 20 minutes prior to tip-off acceptable/common in your area?
Old Fri Jan 01, 2010, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Seriously, you make a comment like that based on one trip?
More like 8-12 trips, not just one.

Some of the trips were with one crew (one city's crew), some were with a different crew (neighboring city's crew).
Old Fri Jan 01, 2010, 11:10pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
More like 8-12 trips, not just one.

Some of the trips were with one crew (one city's crew), some were with a different crew (neighboring city's crew).
Your wife was transported by ambulance 8-12 times for 65 miles? I'm sorry you've had such difficulties.
Old Fri Jan 01, 2010, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Your wife was transported by ambulance 8-12 times for 65 miles? I'm sorry you've had such difficulties.
It's actually been more than that, basically too many times to count All in the 5 years we've been married.

The 65 miles one way as that's the closest Emergency Room.

I can say the same thing for myself as for trips to the emrgency room via ambulance, for the same time frame

Last edited by chseagle; Fri Jan 01, 2010 at 11:30pm.
Old Fri Jan 01, 2010, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Personally, I think cell phone laws are stupid, as more people are distracted by their radios, lunch, makeup, cigarettes, books, magazines, etc., then cell phones. I don't bother pulling over for a phone call, because talking on my cell phone is no different than talking to a passenger.
I totally disagree. Over the past couple of years, everytime I find myself sitting behind someone who doesn't recognize a green light or someone driving 15 miles under the speed limit, they have a cell phone attached to their ear. They're jabbering non-stop on the phone and are focused just enough to keep their vehicle in the proper lane.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Jan 02, 2010, 07:15am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Serious question here. Is arriving at the site 20 minutes prior to tip-off acceptable/common in your area?
Here it is not that uncommon for a game played in the mid-afternoon. It's usually a question of availability of officials at that time. And that varies day to day sometimes. If you're short-handed and you need to use someone coming directly from work to cover the game, the last thing that you worry about is whether they get there in time to have a thorough pre-game. You just want to cover the game; everything else is gravy.

And most assignors will also give the school AD's a heads-up that if they want to play in the mid-afternoon on a busy day, their game might be a few minutes late starting the odd time.

So imo it is acceptable under those circumstances. Not only acceptable but necessary in some cases.
Old Sat Jan 02, 2010, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Are there really more accidents caused by this than by, say, dicking around with the radio, eating a Whopper (tm), or talking to other passengers?
I think the answer is "yes" (at least as a percentage of time spent doing those activities) -- with the Whopper eating coming in second.
Old Sat Jan 02, 2010, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
It's actually been more than that, basically too many times to count All in the 5 years we've been married.

The 65 miles one way as that's the closest Emergency Room.

I can say the same thing for myself as for trips to the emrgency room via ambulance, for the same time frame
With that many visits to the emergency room for both you and your wife, have you considered moving closer to an area that can provide proper medical care. This sounds pretty serious to be 65 miles away. You mentioned farming in a previous post so it sounds like your tied to that and a move wouldn't be feasible.
Old Sat Jan 02, 2010, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
With that many visits to the emergency room for both you and your wife, have you considered moving closer to an area that can provide proper medical care. This sounds pretty serious to be 65 miles away. You mentioned farming in a previous post so it sounds like your tied to that and a move wouldn't be feasible.
Unfortunately, I don't have much options for living areas due to lack of finances due to the cost of rent around here. Also we do have some livestock. Our health is improving thankfully.
Old Sat Jan 02, 2010, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando torres View Post
Thanks for sharing...