The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 30, 2009, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

As I posted earlier, there is a whole list of exemptions, including employment related activities - here's the url of the actual bill that was enacted.

http://www.leg.state.or.us/09reg/mea...r/hb2377.a.pdf
Old Wed Dec 30, 2009, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
Yeah the one exemption that doesn't make some sense, emergency vehicle operators can actually talk on their cell phones while holding it while on the job. I can see if they're getting directions to an accident scene, but not to talk business other than what they need to be doing.

Here our ambulance crew is volunteer, most of the time the driver is on the phone, it's due to their farm business or family calls them while they're driving the ambulance.
Good to know.
Old Wed Dec 30, 2009, 03:50pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
No, just my personal observation. It's not against the law down here, but I swear, every time I see a state trooper on I-64 they are gabbing on the phone, and they never look like official calls.
My son goes to CNU. I detest 64 between Richmond and Norfolk if there's more than one other vehicle on the road! Especially on a Friday during the spring/summer months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
How often are the most guilty ones, law enforcement, in any violation?
I don't know, how often? As a former military policeman, I await your well informed, statistcally backed up answer.
Old Wed Dec 30, 2009, 03:51pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Juulie - was your game at the Nike Interstate Shootout in L.O.?
Old Wed Dec 30, 2009, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Juulie - was your game at the Nike Interstate Shootout in L.O.?
No, I'm not back up to that level yet. Maybe next year. This was freshman girls at Lakeridge. I left plenty of time, knowing that Lakeridge is tricky to get to in the best of times, but didn't expect to arrive more than about 20 minutes early.
Old Wed Dec 30, 2009, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

So are you going to adjust your game day routine to allow for freak snow storms?
Old Wed Dec 30, 2009, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
So are you going to adjust your game day routine to allow for freak snow storms?
At the risk of running totally off topic-- I'm a firm believer in global warming, and these kinds of freak storms are proof. If the weather were the same as 100 years ago, I'd have allowed for it, since it wouldn't have been anything like "freak". This stuff happened fairly often and a winter with no snow (especially from Christmas forward) was extremely rare. These days, we've got mostly pretty mild winters with maybe one or two storms, generally very light and quick. Just not worth planning for. Especially not for a single freshman girls game in the middle of the afternoon, on a day when every weather forecaster in town is calling for dryer warmer weather for the next three or four days! ( And I was on the floor within about 30 seconds of the tip!)
Old Wed Dec 30, 2009, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
At the risk of running totally off topic-- ..... If the weather were the same as 100 years ago, I'd have allowed for it, since it wouldn't have been anything like "freak". This stuff happened fairly often and a winter with no snow (especially from Christmas forward) was extremely rare. .....
I wouldn't know personally, haven't been around quite that long, so I'll have to defer to your greater experience gotcha!
Old Wed Dec 30, 2009, 05:25pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Angry

Quote:
( And I was on the floor within about 30 seconds of the tip!)
Juulie - if we were scheduled to work a game together and you were even 30 seconds late, I would be furious. After all, you're just taking precious time away from me getting to be in ecstasy working with you.
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 04:42am
Official Forum Member

Such lovely traffic!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
My son goes to CNU. I detest 64 between Richmond and Norfolk if there's more than one other vehicle on the road! Especially on a Friday during the spring/summer months.

I don't know, how often? As a former military policeman, I await your well informed, statistcally backed up answer.
I agree. Weekend traffic on 64 & 95 around the River City (Richmond) is horrendous.
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
No, just my personal observation. It's not against the law down here, but I swear, every time I see a state trooper on I-64 they are gabbing on the phone, and they never look like official calls.
What does an official call look like ?

I've heard that the coppers are now using cell phones to receive info from the dispatch. It some areas it's now SOP to use the cell phone versus the old Squad 54 method.
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 10:04am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref View Post
What does an official call look like ?

I've heard that the coppers are now using cell phones to receive info from the dispatch. It some areas it's now SOP to use the cell phone versus the old Squad 54 method.
Communicating with dispatch and other officers/supervisors to discuss calls for service via cell phone is pretty common now a days. It is a lot easier to call dispatch and relay details of a call for them to enter into the computer logs and close the call than it is to relay this information over the radio. There are also plenty of times when the field supervisors or watch commanders want a heads up on a situation before the officer writes the report out.

I'm sure there are also some personal calls being made too but multi-tasking behind the wheel is a fact of life in law enforcement.
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 05:44pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Car 54 ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref View Post
The old Squad 54 method.
Where are you?

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Dec 31, 2009, 07:48pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Thought of you guys tonight over dinner......

Quote:
I started out toward my game with plenty of time, but on the way there it started to snow, which absolutely no one had predicted. Literally no one. it was a long drive, and the snow got heavier and heavier and traffic got slower and slower and by the time I got to the game, well, I was late, even though I really had left plenty of time.
How sad is that?

Local news showed your "freak snow storm" and all the abandoned cars along side of the roads. Made me feel like DC drivers aren't so bad after all (they are though).
Old Fri Jan 01, 2010, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
How do you know that? There's nothing in Juulie's post that indicates that the trip DIDN"T take more than an hour longer than she expected.

I agree that if she had a cell phone, she could have called.
Quote:
No, I'm not back up to that level yet. Maybe next year. This was freshman girls at Lakeridge. I left plenty of time, knowing that Lakeridge is tricky to get to in the best of times, but didn't expect to arrive more than about 20 minutes early.
And now we do...

Freshman game or not....20 minutes before tip is setting yourself up for issues.