The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

The Art of the T

Just wanted to get thoughts on administration of technical fouls. Partner calls a foul on A1 from L. As he comes around to report I am T just walking in on the play and she gives him the "wave off" as he walks away. This after the play before where same partner calls a travel on same player who made it clear that she did not agree with that call either. So I whack her for the gesture...my question is though when is the best time to call this? I whistled and gave it to her right away, but my partner turned and had sort of the deer in the headlights look like what is going on?? Fortunately he remembered what he was reporting and we end up administering ok, but are you better served in this situation to let him report the foul and then whistle and assess the tech even if there is a delay from the time that she gives the gesture to when I assess the tech?
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like you did it right. But, get the headlights off the deer. Go over and let your partner know what's going on.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Tuesday night - partner is reporting a foul - I'm watching the players kind of facing the table. Partner puts whistle in mouth, and I watch as he gives a HUGE T. It looked like his arms were "rubber man's " arms. It was kind of funny.

Kid from that team looks at me as politely asks what that T was for (it was obviously on the coach standing nearby) I looked at partner - then at the kid and politely asked him: "do you want to go over and ask him?" He smiled at me and said he thought it could wait awhile. We both had a chuckle. Partner then came over and told me the coach called him a name that inferred he had been, shall we say intimate, with at least one mother.

He decided that he didn't want to bother with a stop sign or a slow whistle.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 12:11pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui View Post
Tuesday night - partner is reporting a foul - I'm watching the players kind of facing the table. Partner puts whistle in mouth, and I watch as he gives a HUGE T. It looked like his arms were "rubber man's " arms. It was kind of funny.

Kid from that team looks at me as politely asks what that T was for (it was obviously on the coach standing nearby) I looked at partner - then at the kid and politely asked him: "do you want to go over and ask him?" He smiled at me and said he thought it could wait awhile. We both had a chuckle. Partner then came over and told me the coach called him a name that inferred he had been, shall we say intimate, with at least one mother.

He decided that he didn't want to bother with a stop sign or a slow whistle.
If someone calls me a MFer, it's flagrant, goodbye, thanks for coming, don't forget your door prize.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
If someone calls me a MFer, it's flagrant, goodbye, thanks for coming, don't forget your door prize.
And that's what happened. Since he was quite upset - he came and told me and I went across and handled it from there. Coach knew he had really screwed up and went quietly into the night. AC actually knew the rules and never tried to stand. Kids were all ok. Partner received an apology from HC as we walked past bus to car on the way out.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 02:45pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
And that's what happened. Since he was quite upset - he came and told me and I went across and handled it from there. Coach knew he had really screwed up and went quietly into the night. AC actually knew the rules and never tried to stand. Kids were all ok. Partner received an apology from HC as we walked past bus to car on the way out.
Ooh, I bet he gets a form letter and a "don't do it again" from the state office. When someone (who's not a player) gets suspended for something like this, I'll probably faint.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

partner got an email of what the state sent to school. I have not yet seen it - but they were quick to respond and he said the tone was quite serious. It's done as far as I am concerned. We did what we had to do - it's now up to the state. And, as I said - the coach did apologize to partner. The apology sound sincere when given. Stuff happens in battle.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 03:56pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
partner got an email of what the state sent to school. I have not yet seen it - but they were quick to respond and he said the tone was quite serious. It's done as far as I am concerned. We did what we had to do - it's now up to the state. And, as I said - the coach did apologize to partner. The apology sound sincere when given. Stuff happens in battle.
Form letter. I've seen it a few times.

Always in baseball, though -- I've never ejected a basketball coach in my 8 seasons of working games here.

I agree with you. It's between the state, the conference, and the school (and the administration of the school).
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Ooh, I bet he gets a form letter and a "don't do it again" from the state office. When someone (who's not a player) gets suspended for something like this, I'll probably faint.
Automatic one game (next game) suspension once I report the toss to the state. The state contacts the administration of that school.

I've done one (FB coach) in 30+ years of FB and BB.