The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Confirmation.

I am pretty sure we administered this right, but I wanted to double check and run it by you "experts".

A1 is fouled on a shot and the ball goes through the net. I count the basket and report to the table that the basket counts and we have on free throw. My partner either did see the play or wasn't aware of what exactly we had and was trying to get my attention when the announcer, who was not located at the table but up and the the left of the table, announced "two shots". My partner reported to the girls that it would be two shots, and I didn't notice.

The free throw hit the front of the rim and none of the girls moved....then my partner came running in and grabbed the ball to administer what she thought was the 2nd ft. I blew my whistle and went and talked to her. I told her it would be POI and since there was no possession on the free throw that we go AP. Is that correct?
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
I am pretty sure we administered this right, but I wanted to double check and run it by you "experts".

A1 is fouled on a shot and the ball goes through the net. I count the basket and report to the table that the basket counts and we have on free throw. My partner either did see the play or wasn't aware of what exactly we had and was trying to get my attention when the announcer, who was not located at the table but up and the the left of the table, announced "two shots". My partner reported to the girls that it would be two shots, and I didn't notice.

The free throw hit the front of the rim and none of the girls moved....then my partner came running in and grabbed the ball to administer what she thought was the 2nd ft. I blew my whistle and went and talked to her. I told her it would be POI and since there was no possession on the free throw that we go AP. Is that correct?
Yes. I would also have gone to the table to tell the announcer to get his **** straight next time or don't say anything at all.

Did you say "Good basket" and signal it to the table? Did you make eye contact with your partner to show one finger for one shot?
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

The scorer knew and table knew, as for making eye contact with my partner I don't recall making eye contact with my partner on that particular situation. And that is what we talked about in the locker room, both taking responsibility for not communicating better.
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The scorer knew and table knew, as for making eye contact with my partner I don't recall making eye contact with my partner on that particular situation. And that is what we talked about in the locker room, both taking responsibility for not communicating better.
That's one of my pet peeves when I officiate soccer and basketball; lack of eye contact. I'm always checking in with my partner at just about every dead ball and such, and I hate the officials who don't even make an attempt to look at me. (bring on the ugly jokes)

That's how problems start in my opinion. The two games I had that were absolutely bad this season, were because of lack of communication and eye contact.

It was good you talked about it in the locker room and admitted you should have communicated a little better. Good job
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Your implementation was correct. However, your communication with your partner was definitely lacking. Similar to a situation discussed on another forum, it is a MUST that the lead VISUALLY and VERBALLY communicate the number of shots. As a part of the officiating crew, you MUST be communicating with each other AND listening to your partner.

This is clearly a SHARED mistake that should not happen. But, once it did, you implemented the rules properly.

Last edited by CMHCoachNRef; Sun Dec 20, 2009 at 06:06pm.
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

I've really made an effort this year to turn to my partner after I report a foul and hold up one or two fingers and tell him verbally how many we're shooting. It really helps if you take the extra second or two to do this.
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

It is actually not the POI, but straight to the AP arrow by a Case Book ruling. This would make a difference if only one player went and rebounded the ball before you were able to whistle it dead.

OFFICIALS PROVIDE ERRONEOUS INFORMATION
8.6.1 SITUATION: A1 is about to attempt the first of a one-and-one free-throw
situation. The administering official steps in and erroneously informs players that
two shots will be taken. A1's first attempt is unsuccessful. The missed shot is
rebounded by: (a) B1, with all other players motionless in anticipation of another
throw; (b) A2, with all other players motionless in anticipation of another throw;
or (c) B2, with several players from both teams attempting to secure the rebound.
The officials recognize their error at this point. RULING: In (a) and (b), the official's
error clearly put one team at a disadvantage (players stood motionless and
didn't attempt to rebound). Play should be whistled dead immediately and
resumed using the alternating-possession procedure.
In (c), both teams made an
attempt to rebound despite the official's error and had an equal opportunity to
gain possession of the rebound. Play should continue. (2-3)