The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 08, 2002, 03:39pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Do you love your job?

Some people love their job, others do not. Just because I say treat this as a vocation does not mean you do not love it. But if you do not keep track of what you accept or who calls you, you will not be working for anyone. But if you want to work or maintain customers in your "real" job, you better return calls and send the proper paperwork to the proper people. If you do not, you might not have a job or a business. That is the part that has to be treated like a job or vocation. Just because it is a hobby, does not mean it will not take you a great deal of time an energy. And considering that we do get paid money and have to file taxes based on our officiating, it is a vocation. It might not pay all your bills or make you rich, but it is income.

Peace
Old Thu Aug 08, 2002, 03:44pm
In Memoriam

college, or not.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
... not everyone wants to do college....
Sparky,
It's a fact not everyone wants to do college ball.
As you know, I don't do it much, but given the chance, I would work any Men's ball in a blink.
It is the most fun I have ever had on a hardwood floor.
But, of course, lower level CCA is very different from DII and DI.
mick

Old Thu Aug 08, 2002, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: Do you love your job?

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Some people love their job, others do not. Just because I say treat this as a vocation does not mean you do not love it. But if you do not keep track of what you accept or who calls you, you will not be working for anyone. But if you want to work or maintain customers in your "real" job, you better return calls and send the proper paperwork to the proper people. If you do not, you might not have a job or a business. That is the part that has to be treated like a job or vocation. Just because it is a hobby, does not mean it will not take you a great deal of time an energy. And considering that we do get paid money and have to file taxes based on our officiating, it is a vocation. It might not pay all your bills or make you rich, but it is income.

Peace
WTF? You can manage your hobby as a business but that doesn't make it anything more than an avocation. This differs from your real job (your vocation) in that your real job takes priority over your hobby.

I give up...
Old Thu Aug 08, 2002, 04:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

This is what you should do Dan.

If the information does not apply to you, then move on and look somewhere else. I am sure if you attend camps, you will hear several different views on what officiating is to them or what it should be. I am just one voice, with one opinion on one issue. If you treat this as a hobby and only as a hobby and that works for you, GREAT. I look at this as a second job because of the time committment and because of how it affects my other life. If I did not look at it that way, I would blow off every game I could no matter what happen. When my aunt died on June 30, 2001, I had to think of my officiating schedule and how to work around it or give back games. I could not just blow the games off just to worry about my life for that time. I had to think of what affect my absence or even attendence was going to mean if I had a conflict. That to me is more than a hobby. Because if I did not call anyone to tell them I would not be around and why, I might have not gotten any games the following season. Fantasy Football is a hobby too for many, but if participants blow that off for a day or two, who does it ultimately hurt?

It is just the way you look at it. If that is not your way, it is not your way.

Peace
Old Thu Aug 08, 2002, 04:03pm
In Memoriam

Re: Re: Do you love your job?

Quote:
[/B]
I give up... [/B][/QUOTE]Is this where I get to jump in and holler "I TOLD YA SO!"?
Old Thu Aug 08, 2002, 04:10pm
9 times

Re: Re: Hmmmm.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by mick

This cannot be. Can it?
If we cannot apply a rule, I think we do not know the rule.
mick
Agree with mick.I think a better statement might be "you can know the rules,but not know WHEN to apply them".That tells you that judgement still needs to be developed.Is that what you were trying to say,Stripes?
Semantics...To me "how" will include "when". Said another way "when" is a funtion of "how". "How" to apply a rule, to me, means understanding what the rule's intent is and where it fits into the game. Better clarity on my position?

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Thu Aug 08, 2002, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Do you love your job?

Quote:
Quote:
I give up... [/B]
Is this where I get to jump in and holler "I TOLD YA SO!"? [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah, go ahead, I have it coming. Where the heck is Tony, fer gawds sake???
Old Thu Aug 08, 2002, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I'll toss in my two cents. I think everyone left off one of the most important things...HAVE FUN.

God, if you don't enjoy what you are doing (don't care if it your vocation or advocation) for Pete's sake quit. Life is way to short to be doing things you don't enjoy.

I will study the rules, work on game management, complete the proper paperwork for my association and the state, etc. I'll even send in the paperwork to get paid...but won't call and check the status of the payment. I do this because I enjoy it. Any money is a bonus. I don't worry about tracking mileage, meals and the small stuff (I will keep the receipts for thing over $50). If I was that concerned over the money and advancing I would have started much younger. The way I look at it, the kids in grades 5-8 need someone to call their games as well. If you want to focus on the bigger students so you can advance to the next level that's great, I'll take your rejects.

If this approach makes me a bad official, oh well...someone has the be the worse at every vocation and advocation.
Old Thu Aug 08, 2002, 04:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs up That is great advice LarryS.

No other way to state it. Everyone has to find their own way to why they do this. I am sure if we ask the board why they started officiating and why they continue to officiate, you will find 100 different reasons.

Peace
Old Thu Aug 08, 2002, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryS

I'll toss in my two cents. I think everyone left off one of the most important things...HAVE FUN.

God, if you don't enjoy what you are doing (don't care if it your vocation or advocation) for Pete's sake quit. Life is way to short to be doing things you don't enjoy.

I will study the rules, work on game management, complete the proper paperwork for my association and the state, etc. I'll even send in the paperwork to get paid...but won't call and check the status of the payment. I do this because I enjoy it. Any money is a bonus. I don't worry about tracking mileage, meals and the small stuff (I will keep the receipts for thing over $50). If I was that concerned over the money and advancing I would have started much younger. The way I look at it, the kids in grades 5-8 need someone to call their games as well. If you want to focus on the bigger students so you can advance to the next level that's great, I'll take your rejects.

If this approach makes me a bad official, oh well...someone has the be the worse at every vocation and advocation.
Larry, you are obviously one of the good guys!

(BTW, if you're claiming this stuff on your tax forms then
I would encourage you to track your expenses closely. And
I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only guy who is still owed
a few bucks by some school or league!)

Old Thu Aug 08, 2002, 05:10pm
In Memoriam

Re: Re: Re: Hmmmm.

Quote:
Originally posted by stripes
[/B]
Semantics...To me "how" will include "when". Said another way "when" is a funtion of "how". "How" to apply a rule, to me, means understanding what the rule's intent is and where it fits into the game. Better clarity on my position? [/B][/QUOTE]Much better clarified.I was pretty sure that you meant something like that,but the "how" can be interpreted different ways,as some other posters(including myself) did interpret it.
Old Thu Aug 08, 2002, 05:12pm
In Memoriam

Re: Re: Re: Re: Do you love your job?

Quote:
[/B]
Yeah, go ahead, I have it coming. Where the heck is Tony, fer gawds sake??? [/B][/QUOTE]RutBuster?He's out walking his pet rat!

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Aug 8th, 2002 at 05:18 PM]
Old Thu Aug 08, 2002, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
Originally posted by Danvrapp
How long will it be before Mark chimes in with "Bananas for the Howler Monkeys?".......
Apparently - not too long.

However, my best tip remains: tuck your whistle in your shirt before you take a leak.
Mark - either your a midget, or you use a lanyard that is way too long

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Thu Aug 08, 2002, 08:26pm
In Memoriam

Wink Re: Re: Re: Hmmmm.

Quote:
Originally posted by stripes
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by mick

This cannot be. Can it?
If we cannot apply a rule, I think we do not know the rule.
mick
Agree with mick.I think a better statement might be "you can know the rules,but not know WHEN to apply them".That tells you that judgement still needs to be developed.Is that what you were trying to say,Stripes?
Semantics...To me "how" will include "when". Said another way "when" is a funtion of "how". "How" to apply a rule, to me, means understanding what the rule's intent is and where it fits into the game. Better clarity on my position?
yer fine.
Old Thu Aug 08, 2002, 09:00pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by Oz Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
Originally posted by Danvrapp
How long will it be before Mark chimes in with "Bananas for the Howler Monkeys?".......
Apparently - not too long.

However, my best tip remains: tuck your whistle in your shirt before you take a leak.
Mark - either your a midget, or you use a lanyard that is way too long
Apparently, you're not aware of the "splashback factor".