The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Replays can now be done at State Finals/Championships (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/55807-replays-can-now-done-state-finals-championships.html)

chseagle Fri Dec 11, 2009 08:17pm

Replays can now be done at State Finals/Championships

What does everyone think of NFHS allowing the use of replay monitors at State Finals/Championships?

I know of one state that's not going to do it, Washington. It was mentioned about the decision in the Online Rules Clinic. Are there any other states that have decided not to use the replay?

bas2456 Fri Dec 11, 2009 09:10pm

Illinois is not using it

Reffing Rev. Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:35pm

I'd a liked to used the monitor tonight

Girls V game, tie score seconds left, A1 from behind the arc (I think) throws what I thought was a lob pass towards A2, when the ball goes through the basket. I ruled it a 3 and the C echoed me. During the timeout following the basket we conferenced and agreed it was indeed a 3. The coach didn't argue he just wanted to make sure we were certain. That 3 was the game winner for the home team as the Visitors missed their 3 point basket at the buzzer.

It was one of those nights. Girls game 3 pointer with 7 seconds left decided the game. Boys game 3 pointer with 1.3 seconds left tied the score and sent it into overtime.

kmw Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:58pm

Kentucky is not

using instant replay either. Did Ohio lead this charge to allow it after the Girls State Tournament last year?

Zoochy Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:22am

Missouri also elected to NOT use replay in state championship:(

tjones1 Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:26am

As already said, Illinois isn't using it.

My only problem is why is a last second shot in the championship more important than a last second shot in the first game of the tournament?

zm1283 Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoochy (Post 641910)
Missouri also elected to NOT use replay in state championship:(

Did they really? Where did you hear this at? From MSHSAA or your association? Not that I don't believe you, just curious....

Back In The Saddle Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1 (Post 641911)

My only problem is why is a last second shot in the championship more important than a last second shot in the first game of the tournament?

It just is.

JRutledge Sat Dec 12, 2009 01:56am

Quote:

That is the question you need to ask "Just Another Ref." :D

Sorry I could not resist.

Peace

BillyMac Sat Dec 12, 2009 07:51am

State Championship Series ...

Quote:

Because it isn't, according to the new rule: A state association may now permit game or replay officials to utilize available replay equipment to determine the outcome of a state championship series game.

I don't know what it's like in The Land of Lincoln, but here in Connecticut you're probably not going to have replay equipment available in a first round game.

Here in the Constitution State, a team needs eight wins, in a twenty game regular season schedule, to get into the tournament. What if a team only won seven games, and lost a game that could have been a win if replay equipment had been allowed? The NFHS says, "Good luck at baseball tryouts".

Forksref Sat Dec 12, 2009 08:25am

The first sign of the Apocalypse.

BillyMac Sat Dec 12, 2009 09:03am

Why Replays ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 641854)
What does everyone think of NFHS allowing the use of replay monitors at State Finals/Championships?

From NFHS press release: In response to end-of-game situations in three state championships during the 2007-08 season (South Carolina, Michigan, Ohio), the committee decided to give state associations the opportunity to use technology, if available, to assist in making sure that the correct team is awarded the state championship. Replay or game officials will be able to determine if the attempt occurred before time expired (0:00 on clock), and whether the shot was a two-point or three-point attempt.

"Coaches, participants, spectators and media now hold game officials to a higher, almost impossible standard," said Mary Struckhoff, NFHS assistant director and liaison to the Basketball Rules Committee. "When available, technology should be used to assist game officials and administrators in making the correct call when the outcome of the game hangs in the balance and a team has no further opportunity to overcome a critical error. This change provides state associations that opportunity."

YouTube - Buzzer Beater..Not! Summerville vs Spartanburg

Summerville beats Spartanburg for 4A boys state title

YouTube - The greatest game-winning shot to never count

Anybody got any links to the controversies in Michigan, or Ohio? What happened in those two states?

Adam Sat Dec 12, 2009 09:17am

CO is not using it this year.

Zoochy Sat Dec 12, 2009 09:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 641916)
Did they really? Where did you hear this at? From MSHSAA or your association? Not that I don't believe you, just curious....

If you went to the Missouri State Rules meeting, then you would have heard it. :D

mutantducky Sat Dec 12, 2009 02:10pm

Let Ireland IN!:p