The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 11, 2009, 03:57pm
In Time Out

best and-1(count it) motion

That is something I need to work on. I see some college refs and NBA guys who really make an act of it. Sometimes there is no need for it but I want to have a better one.
a video collage would be nice. but can't find any

YouTube - Iverson: Count the Basket and he's Fouled!

also- what would your call be here
YouTube - Allen Iverson - Crossover on Terrell Brandon in '97
Old Fri Dec 11, 2009, 04:04pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
Can't see the video here at work, but I'm assuming I would have called palming.
Old Fri Dec 11, 2009, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That is something I need to work on. I see some college refs and NBA guys who really make an act of it. Sometimes there is no need for it but I want to have a better one.
a video collage would be nice. but can't find any

YouTube - Iverson: Count the Basket and he's Fouled!

also- what would your call be here
YouTube - Allen Iverson - Crossover on Terrell Brandon in '97

Not a fan of the ref banging it home, but I wish I had his guns.
Old Fri Dec 11, 2009, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That is something I need to work on.
Why? It's just another call. No need to make a big show of it.

If you need to "sell" something, sell the foul call that leads to the "and one"
Old Fri Dec 11, 2009, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Why? It's just another call. No need to make a big show of it.
But "BANGIN'" it is sooooo much fun!
Old Fri Dec 11, 2009, 05:20pm
In Time Out

I think it was the Utah Michigan game where the guy had a great one where he stepped out and really did the whole windmill motion. Sure it is over the top but fun. as long as they just don't do it for the home crowd...or hit a player with the swing

that first one is total look at my muscles while I count the basket. Him and Ed Hochuli are zebra brothers.
Old Fri Dec 11, 2009, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think it was the Utah Michigan game where the guy had a great one where he stepped out and really did the whole windmill motion. Sure it is over the top but fun. as long as they just don't do it for the home crowd...or hit a player with the swing

that first one is total look at my muscles while I count the basket. Him and Ed Hochuli are zebra brothers.
Personally, I think it looks silly and it draws attention to you. We've all seen the 25 point blowout with 100 fans and someone generates enough energy to power a small country.
Old Fri Dec 11, 2009, 05:55pm
Eschew obfuscation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Not a fan of the ref banging it home...
Me either. A simple drop of the fist that I called the foul with two fingers out to point that two points went in with the foul is enough to get the point across. The players and fans are already excited, so there is no need for an official to get excited along with them. Stay if your mechanics look calm and collected, then you look like it was supposed to happen that way... just my two cents...
Old Sat Dec 12, 2009, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

It is weird that this is a topic because I was watching the Georgetown/Butler game the other night and was in awe of Mike Stephens and 1 call for Monroe against Butler.

Monroe, Georgetown Top Butler, 72-65 - ESPN Video - ESPN
(15 second mark is where the play starts)

After I saw this I tried doing it in the mirror and I look like I'm in JH again and have no coordination doing it or so I felt.

When I saw this I checked out statsheet to see who he was because I follow alot of those guys just to see where there at and the games they have and Stephens is moving up really fast! From statsheet this will be his 10th year working D1. He worked his first conference tournament in his 3rd year, 4th year worked a NIT 4th round, 8th year NCAA Tourny first round, 9th year he worked the 3rd round.

In no way am I talking this guy up, I'm from Missouri from a small town, just a little farm kid with big dreams. I get on statsheet frequently as I have some friends who work D1 and want to follow them. I just saw the game that night and wondered who the hell is that guy? Apparently he is pretty damn good!
Old Sat Dec 12, 2009, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOofficial View Post
It is weird that this is a topic because I was watching the Georgetown/Butler game the other night and was in awe of Mike Stephens and 1 call for Monroe against Butler.

After I saw this I tried doing it in the mirror and I look like I'm in JH again and have no coordination doing it or so I felt.

When I saw this I checked out statsheet to see who he was because I follow alot of those guys just to see where there at and the games they have and Stephens is moving up really fast! From statsheet this will be his 10th year working D1. He worked his first conference tournament in his 3rd year, 4th year worked a NIT 4th round, 8th year NCAA Tourny first round, 9th year he worked the 3rd round.

In no way am I talking this guy up, I'm from Missouri from a small town, just a little farm kid with big dreams. I get on statsheet frequently as I have some friends who work D1 and want to follow them. I just saw the game that night and wondered who the hell is that guy? Apparently he is pretty damn good!
sniff. sniff.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

I try to do it like the drawing in the book.

I hate hate hate seeing the "count the basket" motion with the other hand, not the one with the fist in the air.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 11:21am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
sniff. Sniff.
rotflmao!
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach View Post

I hate hate hate seeing the "count the basket" motion with the other hand, not the one with the fist in the air.
AARGH. I hate this too but haven't been able to break the habit. Same with signaling a push with one hand while still having the fist up. I'm not sure when these crept in to my mechanics, but I want them GONE.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach View Post

I find myself "counting" it with the other hand. Never had anyone say anything about it.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOofficial View Post

So Mr Stephens, how long has your son been officiating?