The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 07, 2002, 02:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to FVB_Ryan
I am currently a baseball umpire, but in the past have officiated both soccer and basketball. I am very interested in getting back into basketball, but could use quite a refresher on the rules. Anyone have any suggestions of websites I can go to that would have rules, explanations of them, cases, and possibly even video demonstrations of some of the things that are a little harder to grasp? Any and all help would be appreciated.
Also, in baseball, there are rule differences between High School, NCAA, and OBR (Official Baseball Rules - What the pros use). Most are minor rule differences, that very few spectators know of, unless they have done their homework. Is basketball the same? Meaning, are there differences, are they minor, or quite substantial? Thanks again, in advance, for your help.
Old Wed Aug 07, 2002, 06:23am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by FVB_Ryan
I am currently a baseball umpire, but in the past have officiated both soccer and basketball. I am very interested in getting back into basketball, but could use quite a refresher on the rules. Anyone have any suggestions of websites I can go to that would have rules, explanations of them, cases, and possibly even video demonstrations of some of the things that are a little harder to grasp? Any and all help would be appreciated.
Also, in baseball, there are rule differences between High School, NCAA, and OBR (Official Baseball Rules - What the pros use). Most are minor rule differences, that very few spectators know of, unless they have done their homework. Is basketball the same? Meaning, are there differences, are they minor, or quite substantial? Thanks again, in advance, for your help.
FVB_Ryan,
Men's and women's college ball have minor differences.
College ball and High school ball have minor differences.
In the back of the FED book, the differences and similarities are listed.
International (FIBA) rules slightly vary from College and High School.
My main source for NBA rules is the "color announcer", and their interpretations of the rules are not something you want to take to the bank.
Also, while similar, the floor mechanics vary slightly.

I think you will find that Fed Hoops rules follow the college level more closely than Fed Baseball follows college baseball rules, which closely follows OBR.

The standards for these two sports, I believe, are OBR for baseball and Men's College for basketball.

mick
Old Thu Aug 08, 2002, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to firedoc
My advice would be to contact your local chapter of the International Association of Approved Basketball Officials (IAABO). You can get the local address/phone number from their web site which I believe is IAABO.org.

You can sign up for the course which they give on a yearly basis. Good luck.
Old Thu Aug 08, 2002, 07:07pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb IAABO

Quote:
Originally posted by firedoc
My advice would be to contact your local chapter of the International Association of Approved Basketball Officials (IAABO). You can get the local address/phone number from their web site which I believe is IAABO.org.

You can sign up for the course which they give on a yearly basis. Good luck.
Everyone does not have a IAABO that is active or has anything to do with officiating in their area. I think he would be better contacting a local association or a school to get that kind of information. But if he lives in an area that IAABO is active one working, that is not a bad idea. But IAABO is mostly for those officials on the Eastern side of the country.

Peace
Old Fri Aug 09, 2002, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

hoopsref.com and officiating.com are good tools for keeping up with the rules of basketball. hoopsref has online rule books and a few video plays if you get a membership!