The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 10, 2009, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

jump ball to start the game

Saw this the other night following my game and was wondering if the officials were right or if they kicked it.

Sit: Jump ball to start the game - ball tipped and goes OOB. Ball was awarded to B (the team that didn't tip it OOB). It didn't touch anyone other than the jumper in the center circle.

I was thinking that it should have been re-jumped and thought that was supported by 6-4-3 Note: If the alternating-possession procedure has not been established, the jump ball shall be between the two players involved in the center restraining circle.

Am I not understanding this right, or did they kick it?
Old Thu Dec 10, 2009, 12:43pm
M.A.S.H.

If they both caused the ball to go OOB then it would have been re-jumped since the AP hadn't been set. However, if just one caused the ball to go OOB then they violated.

In your situation, Team A caused the ball to go OOB. Therefore, Team B gets the ball for a throw-in and the AP is set towards Team A's basket when the ball is placed at the disposal of Team B's thrower.

Sounds like they got it right.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2009, 12:45pm
certified Hot Mom tester

6-4-1 takes precedence. "Control may also be established by the results of a violation or foul, as in 4-3." What happened in your case is a violation, therefore establishing control for team B and the arrow should then go to A.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2009, 01:49pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I had this exact situation in my first game this year. A1 tipped the ball and it went OOB untouched after his tip. Ball to B, arrow to A.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2009, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

I had this situation in a scrimmage this fall. Working with an inexperienced partner, 2 person crew. I throw ball up and it fires OB directly behind me. I look at partner to blow whistle and signal (my whistle was out of my mouth of course, don't want to be losing any teeth!) but he just looks at me like "uh, what just happened?" I quickly grabbed the whistle, blew and thankfully he came back to consciousness and was able to tell me who it went out off.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2009, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

First jump of the year this year, in a scrimmage game, both jumpers hit it simultaneously and it goes directly OOB. Never had that happen to me before.

I wonder if that's an omen regarding my season?