The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 06, 2002, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

FYI - A number of participants have stated that they like the NB 608 shoe for game use. While not my first choice, they are good shoes when paired with Spenco insoles.

The Kohl’s chain of stores has them on sale for $39.95 if anyone is interested. If you do not have a Kohl’s in your area you can get them online at:

http://www.kohls.com/main/subcategor...=1028640550102
Old Tue Aug 06, 2002, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

...and your first choice would be?
Old Tue Aug 06, 2002, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by devdog69
Reebok DMX or DMX2 type shoes. The DMX system is an air bag/channel that runs along the length of the shoe. In my opinion it offers much better shock support than any other type of system. Problem is that one can no longer get them in black shoes.

The NB608 with the SPENCO cross trainer insole is a good substitute but not quite the same. I am very picky about my shoes, as I have ruptured one Achilles tendon. I now try to take good care of my legs and feet.
Old Tue Aug 06, 2002, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RecRef
Quote:
Originally posted by devdog69
Reebok DMX or DMX2 type shoes. The DMX system is an air bag/channel that runs along the length of the shoe. In my opinion it offers much better shock support than any other type of system. Problem is that one can no longer get them in black shoes.

The NB608 with the SPENCO cross trainer insole is a good substitute but not quite the same. I am very picky about my shoes, as I have ruptured one Achilles tendon. I now try to take good care of my legs and feet.
Are you sure?

The reebok outlet here has them all the time, and they are not marked down, so I doubt they are discontinuing them.

I wear the white ones for volleyball, but they do not hold up well for bball.
Old Tue Aug 06, 2002, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

I work for a sporting goods store doing team sales - I've tried them all and right now I think the Asics Cross-Trainer is the most comfortable shoe out there. I've even started wearing it for softball umpiring, although the outsole isn't the best for agri-lime, it does polish up well.
The name is GEL-TRX and the style number is SL200/9090. It normally retails for around $65.
As far as the Reebok goes, I've had a few guys try it for umpiring and they aren't happy once they have to start moving as far as the side-to-side stability.
Old Tue Aug 06, 2002, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fletch_irwin_m
I get NB numbers all mixed up. Are these the walking shoes? I went through 2 pair of NB walking shoes (I thought they were 608's but the pix look different)
I have a pair of Brooks that I really like. They are wide and have great support. But that is just me.
Old Tue Aug 06, 2002, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

608's are cross trainers.

Leather luster took well to them, and my last pair lasted two years.

Make sure you get 608AB.
Old Wed Aug 07, 2002, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

Nike Air Max Amplify

Thes come in all black and are very comfortable. I know some don't like Nike, but these have air along teh whole sole and very good support.
Old Wed Aug 07, 2002, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I have a question about the Spenco insoles. The directions say to take out the original insole before putting in the replacements. Is this what you do or do you just lay the Spenco's on top of the existing insole?

Thanks -
Old Wed Aug 07, 2002, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dragonref
I have a question about the Spenco insoles. The directions say to take out the original insole before putting in the replacements. Is this what you do or do you just lay the Spenco's on top of the existing insole?

Thanks -
RTFD.
Old Wed Aug 07, 2002, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Choose a width

The nice thing about the NB608 that I bought before last season was that I had a choice of widths. The most common seem to be B, D, 2E and 4E. Formerly, I had purchased 'single width' brand shoes about a half size too big to get a little more width.
I also had pretty bad heel pain that was aggravated after games the previous two seasons. This went away--but it may not have been the shoes. I heard a talk radio show last October regarding "Plantar Fasciitis" heel pain. This holistic medicine show mentioned taking the herbs "Gotu kola" and "Black Cohosh"--so I did this too. By December, after about 12 games, I had no problem; After 90 games still no problem, I could stamp my right heel on the ground and not get instant pain. ( A third possibility is that the problem 'just went away' after a couple of bad years--but the timing was too good to ignore).
Old Wed Aug 07, 2002, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry Bob but I'm a dummy. WTF is RTFD?

dragonref, I started using the Spenco insoles 3 years ago. A podiatrist recommended them after my lousy insurance wouldn't pay for the custom made orthotics. I usually take the shoe insole out, put the Spenco in and put the original insole back in. If it's too tight, I remove the original insole.

rogerc1, plantar fasciitis actually results from inflammation and swelling in the plantar fascia, the ligament that runs from the heel to the ball of the foot. Eventually, the ligament will tear, calcium will fill in, and the calcium will turn into a bone spur. Usually, the pain is the worst in the morning when you get up or after you've rested after a game. An insole, such as the Spenco or Sorbothane, provides the proper heel support to help eliminate the strees on the ligament. Also, stretching exercises and taping the foot, like a crow's foot from the heel to the toes, can also ease the pain and inflammation.

Hope that helps!

I speak from experience. I used to have some pretty bad foot pain until I finally went to the podiatrist. it was worse in football than basketball, if you can beleive that. For anyone else who's having any problems, I would suggest you try some of these ideas.
Old Thu Aug 08, 2002, 06:41am
Official Forum Member

My guess RTFD would appear something like this on the board:

Old Thu Aug 08, 2002, 06:56am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Read the directions.
Old Thu Aug 08, 2002, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Read the directions.
Yeah, but I can't figure out what the "F" stands for.
Fine? Fantastic? Funny? WTF?