The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   assistant coach (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/55634-assistant-coach.html)

Hunter61 Wed Dec 02, 2009 07:24pm

assistant coach

Just wandering if an assistant coach can call a time out or does it have to be the coach or player ?

AKOFL Wed Dec 02, 2009 07:28pm

head coach or player, unless the head coach is no longer with us.:p

Hunter61 Wed Dec 02, 2009 07:33pm

That would be federation rules right. What about FIBA any different ?

AKOFL Wed Dec 02, 2009 07:39pm

Best handled by someone a little more FIBA minded than myself. i'm just febal minded.:rolleyes:

fullor30 Wed Dec 02, 2009 08:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hunter61 (Post 639231)
Just wandering if an assistant coach can call a time out or does it have to be the coach or player ?

Don't wander to far from a rule book, no to assistant coach

BillyMac Wed Dec 02, 2009 08:30pm

Not The Peppermint Twist ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 639247)

Let's add a twist.

2-11-6 The scorer shall: Record the time-out information charged to each team (who and when) and notify a team and its coach, through an official, whenever that team is granted its final allotted charged time-out.

Here in my little corner of Connecticut, we've been taught not to interrupt the head coach in his huddle during the timeout. We've also been taught not to wait until the end of the timeout to inform the head coach because he might want to give that information to his players. Accordingly, we have been taught to give such information to an assistant coach.

Comments ?

Mark Padgett Wed Dec 02, 2009 08:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hunter61 (Post 639231)

We must be getting more mature. Five replies and no one brought up the "call vs. request" issue. Or maybe we're just tired.

Also - no one asked Hunter61 where he's "wandering"!

Nevadaref Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 639247)

And don't throw stones when you live in a glass house. :p

eyezen Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 639248)
Let's add a twist.

2-11-6 The scorer shall: Record the time-out information charged to each team (who and when) and notify a team and its coach, through an official, whenever that team is granted its final allotted charged time-out.

Here in my little corner of Connecticut, we've been taught not to interrupt the head coach in his huddle during the timeout. We've also been taught not to wait until the end of the timeout to inform the head coach because he might want to give that information to his players. Accordingly, we have been taught to give such information to an assistant coach.

Comments ?

Not NFHS but NCAA 2-15 Notify a team and its head coach when a team takes its final allowable charged timeout.

fullor30 Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 639250)
We must be getting more mature. Five replies and no one brought up the "call vs. request" issue. Or maybe we're just tired.

Do your meds include Ambien? See my post. Not that subtle.

fullor30 Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 639256)

Toooshay! Common mistake of mine along with your/you're

AKOFL Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 639256)

Don't stow thrones when you live in a grass house either.:p

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 639250)

Everybody!! Remember, players and coaches REQUEST a timeout and officials CALL timeout.

I am a very bad boy! :D

MTD, Sr.

constable Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hunter61 (Post 639236)
That would be federation rules right. What about FIBA any different ?

FIBA- head coach or assistant coach may request through table. Table sounds horn at next dead ball after the official has reported, for both teams after the final free throw if successful or for the non-scoring team after a made basket by the opponent.

Cobra Thu Dec 03, 2009 03:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 639270)
Everybody!! Remember, players and coaches REQUEST a timeout and officials CALL timeout.

I am a very bad boy! :D

MTD, Sr.

Actually it is called GRANTING a timeout...