The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 04, 2002, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Love2ref4Ever
Question

I am interested in formulating a committee for the wife's of officials and I need some guidance with this project.The purpose of this committee would be for the wife's of veteran officials to share there expierence with the wife's of newer officials.For example: What to expect during the basketball season? This committee can also act as a support group for the wife' of officials. Is there anyone who may have some suggestions or information to pass along to me? I would just be involved with help formulating the group and that's that!
Old Sun Aug 04, 2002, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Not trying to be ugly but I think the word you're looking for is wives, not wife's.

And, no, we don't have such a group in our organization.
Old Mon Aug 05, 2002, 02:45am
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Love2ref4Ever
The purpose of this committee would be for the wife's of veteran officials to share there expierence with the wife's of newer officials.For example: What to expect during the basketball season? This committee can also act as a support group for the wife' of officials. Is there anyone who may have some suggestions or information to pass along to me? I would just be involved with help formulating the group and that's that!
"can someone please organize a group of women to tell my wife how to deal with my officiating schedule?"

....maybe your wife should organize it.

Remember:

1. Family comes first, job comes second
2. Maintain balance
3. Never, ever choose a game over bdays and anniversaries!

Also...spell check is a wonderful thing

Old Mon Aug 05, 2002, 06:58am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation Spelling!

Wow. it's nice to know that a couple of my fellow officials were so kind as to point out to me that I used the word "wife's" instead of"wives." And one even suggested to use spell check! Thanks for responding to the post though, I guess you guys don't miss anything during a game.
Old Mon Aug 05, 2002, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

Talking

If you wanted to create a support group, how about one for all spouses, not just the wives.

At this time, I have yet to see a support group of any type for the spouses. It seems that some of the long time officials have had very understanding spouses. Wives and husbands.

As it was mentioned before, family comes first.
Old Mon Aug 05, 2002, 07:48am
In Memoriam

Quote:
I am interested in formulating a committee for the wife's of officials and I need some guidance with this project.The purpose of this committee would be for the wife's of veteran officials to share there expierence with the wife's of newer officials.For example: What to expect during the basketball season? This committee can also act as a support group for the wife' of officials. Is there anyone who may have some suggestions or information to pass along to me? I would just be involved with help formulating the group and that's that!
Love2,
Well, now....
My wife isn't really that interested in my playtime, although she enjoys all the sports I work.
Her comments are generally of this nature:
  • I thought you had a game.
  • What time is your game?
  • Is your uniform ready?
  • Your game shoes are shinier than your dress shoes.
  • Who are you working with tonight?
  • Have fun.
  • Oh, you're early.
  • How did it go?

That's about the cumulative total of her concern.
    Of the above comments, I usually get only one or two of them per game. The only one with any regularity is the last. If she's home when I leave, I almost always get a "Have fun."

The updated schedule is always on the fridge where kids drawings used to be, so she'll have an idea of where I am, ...if she wonders at all.

mick
    Old Mon Aug 05, 2002, 09:36am
    Official Forum Member

If you do it, make it for spouses and not just wives... and maybe girlfriends/boyfriends too.

But as Mick said, there really isn't much to it. This isn't like someone is getting divorced or anyone died. "Honey, I have a game at 7:00 tonight. I'll be going there straight from work and then home by 9:00. You want me to stop and get anything on the way home? By the way, my schedule is on the fridge if you forget what I just said." :-)

Reffing is like any other activity that married people do. If it's done in moderation and has the support of the spouse, no problem. If it's done too much, get the lawyer's phone number handy.

Z
    Old Mon Aug 05, 2002, 09:59am
    Official Forum Member

Here's a suggestion

Here something you might want to try. I make a calendar with one of the Print Shop programs. On it, I post all scrimmages, games, clinics, etc. so that she knows exactly where'll be, on what nights, and at what time. Saves a lot of headaches.
    Old Mon Aug 05, 2002, 10:26am
    Official Forum Member

Re: Here's a suggestion

Quote:
    Originally posted by BktBallRef
    Here something you might want to try. I make a calendar with one of the Print Shop programs. On it, I post all scrimmages, games, clinics, etc. so that she knows exactly where'll be, on what nights, and at what time. Saves a lot of headaches.
    I have somehting similar to this, we use a dry erase calendar and I put all my meetings, games, etc up there.

And, taking the sig. other away after the season helps too..
    Old Mon Aug 05, 2002, 10:29am
    Do not give a damn!!

Talking Re: Spelling!

Quote:
    Wow. it's nice to know that a couple of my fellow officials were so kind as to point out to me that I used the word "wife's" instead of"wives." And one even suggested to use spell check! Thanks for responding to the post though, I guess you guys don't miss anything during a game.
    Old Mon Aug 05, 2002, 10:43am
    Official Forum Member

I email my schedule to my husband so he can enter it into his palm pilot.
    Old Mon Aug 05, 2002, 11:37am
    Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
    Quote:
    Originally posted by secondyear
    If you wanted to create a support group, how about one for all spouses, not just the wives.

At this time, I have yet to see a support group of any type for the spouses. It seems that some of the long time officials have had very understanding spouses. Wives and husbands.

As it was mentioned before, family comes first.
    Thganks, secondyear, for thinking of us women officials and our spouses. However, I don't want my husband meeting you-alls wives... And especially not during the season ( nor June!)...
    Old Mon Aug 05, 2002, 12:56pm
    Official Forum Member

Question Are There Any Boards Or Committee's For The Wives Of Officials?

The purpose of this group would be to have veteran officials wives/husbands pass along information to the newer officials wives/husbands. I don't think newer officials wives/husbands have a clue about what a officials life is really like, and may need to be orientated by someone who knows what to expect. I think making there officiating game schedule available to there wives/husbands is a great idea, that I may start doing in my home. Rainmaker, How come you don't want you're husband to interact with the wives of officials in you're area?
    Old Mon Aug 05, 2002, 01:49pm
    Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
    Re: Are There Any Boards Or Committee's For The Wives Of Officials?

Quote:
    Rainmaker, How come you don't want you're husband to interact with the wives of officials in your area?
    I was sort of joking, and forgot th smilie.

It's just that I'm gone so much during the season, I don't want him spending time with any lonely females. But I guess that's not really a very funny joke!
    Old Mon Aug 05, 2002, 07:55pm
    certified Hot Mom tester

Talking Re: Re: Are There Any Boards Or Committee's For The Wives Of Officials?

Quote:
    Originally posted by rainmaker
    Quote:
    Rainmaker, How come you don't want you're husband to interact with the wives of officials in your area?
    I was sort of joking, and forgot th smilie.

It's just that I'm gone so much during the season, I don't want him spending time with any lonely females. But I guess that's not really a very funny joke!
    Juulie- there's at least one guy we know in the local association you probably wouldn't want him around either.

PS - it's that guy I once mentioned to you that looked like a female official when I saw him on TV and you said you weren't surprised.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.