The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 24, 2009, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Avoiding Contact

I've run into this play several times already this young season

A1 has a fast break, but he's not all alone. B1 hustles back on D, and sets up in LGP. A1, seeing this, clearly makes a concerted effort to avoid contact. B1 does not move while A1 is avoiding.

I've got no call, what do you have?
Old Tue Nov 24, 2009, 02:53pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
I've run into this play several times already this young season

A1 has a fast break, but he's not all alone. B1 hustles back on D, and sets up in LGP. A1, seeing this, clearly makes a concerted effort to avoid contact. B1 does not move while A1 is avoiding.

I've got no call, what do you have?
Is there contact? Does it disadvantage or move B1? A1's intent is irrelevant here.
Old Tue Nov 24, 2009, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

depends,

was there any contact? if not - nothing. However, B1 is not required to move just because A1 does. So if B1 had gained LGP and was in LPG when contacted by A1 whether he was going to basket or making a concerted effort to avoid contact, it is a PC on A1.

Would you tell the coach of A1 that you didn't call a block on B1 when they realized they didn't have LGP and were making a concerted effort to get out of A1's way when contact occurred and A1 lost the ball?
Old Tue Nov 24, 2009, 03:01pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui View Post
depends,

was there any contact? if not - nothing. However, B1 is not required to move just because A1 does. So if B1 had gained LGP and was in LPG when contacted by A1 whether he was going to basket or making a concerted effort to avoid contact, it is a PC on A1.
Not necessarily. Contact isn't necessarily a foul. That said, "inent" is irrelevant.
Old Tue Nov 24, 2009, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Full on contact = Player control foul.

A slight brush as A1 athletically avoids B1, but there is a brush and no displacement = nothing.

B1 sliding a hip or knee or shoulder in A1's direction as A1 avoids the contact = Block on B1

Any marginal contact with B1 in LGP would be a pure judgement call on the situation and would vary, depending on if I felt B1 flopped or A1 avoided contact.
Old Tue Nov 24, 2009, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Is there contact? Does it disadvantage or move B1? A1's intent is irrelevant here.
There was slight contact in the play I'm thinking of, but it was neither advantageous nor disadvantageous to either player.
Old Tue Nov 24, 2009, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Not necessarily. Contact isn't necessarily a foul. That said, "inent" is irrelevant.
I agree that intent is irrelevant. I was trying to say that if B1 has obtained and is in LGP and A1 makes contact - A1 is responsible for the contact. If there is contact and A1 gains any type of advantage whether in going to basket, up for a try, or even dishing to A2 because of the any slight advantage gained by contact it is going to be called. I would not give the offensive player any benefit of the doubt in this scenario. B1 did their job, A1 didn't.
Old Tue Nov 24, 2009, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Why are we focused on him maintaining LGP? As long as B is able to gain LGP and then does not move towards A, he is fine. A in this scenario is solely responsiple for any and all contact that is made. B has done his job. Now the official must determine if it is enough contact to warrant a player control foul. If it is not then there is nothing to call. If there is bang it and move on. All B has to do is establish his position. He does not need to maintain LGP. He could turn around and duck to try and avoid a big collision and he still is able to maintain status.
Old Tue Nov 24, 2009, 03:20pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
There was slight contact in the play I'm thinking of, but it was neither advantageous nor disadvantageous to either player.
It sounds like a no-call to me, but intent has nothing to do with it. If B1 was not disadvantaged nor displaced in any way, play on.
Old Tue Nov 24, 2009, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie24 View Post
Why are we focused on him maintaining LGP? As long as B is able to gain LGP and then does not move towards A, he is fine. A in this scenario is solely responsiple for any and all contact that is made. B has done his job. Now the official must determine if it is enough contact to warrant a player control foul. If it is not then there is nothing to call. If there is bang it and move on. All B has to do is establish his position. He does not need to maintain LGP. He could turn around and duck to try and avoid a big collision and he still is able to maintain status.
All those things you said are "maintaining LGP"
Old Tue Nov 24, 2009, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Not really. LGP is a status gained by having both feet on the floor and facing an opponent. If I turn my back I am not in LGP. But I still have that section of the floor. Same thing if my back is turned to an opponent and he decided to run me over on his way to the basket. I don't have LGP, but I have the right to my position on the floor.
Old Tue Nov 24, 2009, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not really. LGP is a status gained by having both feet on the floor and facing an opponent. If I turn my back I am not in LGP. But I still have that section of the floor. Same thing if my back is turned to an opponent and he decided to run me over on his way to the basket. I don't have LGP, but I have the right to my position on the floor.
Wrong.

4-23-2 talks about "obtaining" legal guarding position.
a. The guard must have both feet touching the playing court
b. The front of the guard's torso must be facing the opponent.

then 4-23-3 defines it AFTER legal guarding position is obtained:
a.
b. The guard is NOT required to continue facing the opponent
c.
d.
e. The guard may turn or duck to absorb the shock of the imminent contact
Old Tue Nov 24, 2009, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

PHP Code:
Wrong.

4-23-2 talks about "obtaining" legal guarding position.
aThe guard must have both feet touching the playing court
b
The front of the guard's torso must be facing the opponent.

then 4-23-3 defines it AFTER legal guarding position is obtained:
a. 
b. The guard is NOT required to continue facing the opponent
c.
d. 
e. The guard may turn or duck to absorb the shock of the imminent contact 
PHP Code:
Same thing if my back is turned to an opponent and he decided to run me over on his way to the basketI don't have LGP, but I have the right to my position on the floor. 
I didn't say I had LGP here, I am entitled to my space on the floor. Just because I am not facing and obtaining LGP doesn't mean I can't get a player control foul. Look at it this way. If I am guarding another guy and my back is towards the player with the ball, other than my coach screaming at me to see the ball, if the dribbler drives through me on his way to the basket is it player control?
Old Tue Nov 24, 2009, 06:05pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I didn't say I had LGP here, I am entitled to my space on the floor. Just because I am not facing and obtaining LGP doesn't mean I can't get a player control foul. Look at it this way. If I am guarding another guy and my back is towards the player with the ball, other than my coach screaming at me to see the ball, if the dribbler drives through me on his way to the basket is it player control?
You asked about the OP, then later claimed:
Quote:
The part in red is what's incorrect. Turning your back at that point does not lose LGP. You are correct that LGP is not required for a PC foul as long as you are stationary. LGP allows certain movements at the point of contact by the defender, but a stationary player does not require it.
Old Tue Nov 24, 2009, 06:22pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
If this is true, no matter what else did or didn't happen, no foul.

Lonesome Dove