The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 14, 2009, 03:46pm
Esteemed Forum Member

"Designated Spot" ???

I worked my first games of the season today, four Catholic middle school junior varsity games. Connecticut is a 100% IAABO state and our interpreter wants us to use the new IAABO mechanic of verbalizing “designated spot” for all designated spot throwins.

For the past twenty-eight years I've only done this on endline in the throwin team's backcourt. Never on a sideline. Never on the throwin team's frontcourt endline.

No matter how hard I tried, I could not get use to this new mechanic. Is anybody else using this new IAABO mechanic? Does anybody else think that it's stupid?

IAABO also wants us to keep our hand away from our face when reporting fouls to the table. I had a tough time with this today, but eventually I think that I'll get the hang of it.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Nov 14, 2009, 04:29pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Not sure about the "designated spot" verbalization, but I know one thing I've been told by evaluators is to put my hands off to the side when reporting numbers.
Old Sat Nov 14, 2009, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

The whole idea of keeping your hands away from your mouth is so that the score table can also visual see what you are verbally saying to them. Most of the time scorekeepers have been trained to look at the officials face to see the color and number. You association probably wants this done at all levels so it everyone, new and old, can get a feel for this.

I can see the point about "designated spot." I personally only use it in coming out of a time-out when a time is on the baseline because even if you don't have a made basketball before the timeout it is good to let the new offense know that they cannot run the baseline. On the sideline, I really don't see a point for it because there is no reason why a person should run on the sideline.

The main thing advice is just try it because this is what they want you to do. It is the way the mechanics are written and it has probably had been successful somewhere, so that is why they made a new mechanic for your association.

JB
Old Sat Nov 14, 2009, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Whenever I have a designated spot on either end line, I point and say "Spot." I generally try to make "routine" mechanics like that habitual. It's one less thing to think about. But I admit I feel rather iditotic doing this for a side line throw-in.
Old Sat Nov 14, 2009, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

I've honestly never thought about the fact that I designate a spot for each throw in regardless of location on the court. Maybe I'm being lazy by not thinking where I should/shouldn't do so, but I'd rather just indicate it all the time (except when they can run the baseline) and not have to worry about when to do it.

I started officiating in CT and recall very clearly them telling us to report numbers using one hand only and have it off to the side (i.e., away from your face). This was in the early 90's. Now I've started up again in GA and we use two hands to report the number and have been told to put them in front of our face when reporting. Things, and locations, change.

In the best imitation of Marty Feldman I can manage - "Suit yourself, I'm easy".
Old Sun Nov 15, 2009, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

I am like BITS... however on a sideline its not that hard since we bounce the ball to tell the player stay right there or hold your spot there and bounce the ball...
Old Sun Nov 15, 2009, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I worked my first games of the season today, four Catholic middle school junior varsity games. Connecticut is a 100% IAABO state and our interpreter wants us to use the new IAABO mechanic of verbalizing “designated spot” for all designated spot throwins.

For the past twenty-eight years I've only done this on endline in the throwin team's backcourt. Never on a sideline. Never on the throwin team's frontcourt endline.

No matter how hard I tried, I could not get use to this new mechanic. Is anybody else using this new IAABO mechanic? Does anybody else think that it's stupid?

IAABO also wants us to keep our hand away from our face when reporting fouls to the table. I had a tough time with this today, but eventually I think that I'll get the hang of it.
"middle school junior varsity?" WTH?

I always say "spot" when I administer a spot throw-in. I can't imagine why you would have such a hard time doing it in one place if you're accustomed to doing it in another.

I usually whistle when inbounding the ball on the end line when the ball is staying in the FC,to alert everyone the ball is live. If I were told to do that on every throw-in, I don't believe it would be a problem.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Nov 16, 2009, 12:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
"middle school junior varsity?" WTH?

I always say "spot" when I administer a spot throw-in. I can't imagine why you would have such a hard time doing it in one place if you're accustomed to doing it in another.

I usually whistle when inbounding the ball on the end line when the ball is staying in the FC,to alert everyone the ball is live. If I were told to do that on every throw-in, I don't believe it would be a problem.
Never heard of anyone whistling the ball live that often. I only do it after a time out or other unusual delay- do you find that it helps?
Old Mon Nov 16, 2009, 07:24am
Esteemed Forum Member

Lots Of Games To Assign ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
"Middle school junior varsity?"
For Catholic schools around here:
Varsity: Mostly seventh and eighth graders.
Junior Varsity A: Mostly fifth and sixth graders.
Junior Varsity B: Mostly players younger than fifth grade.
All are based on age and ability. Some schools may have more than one team in each category. Nobody gets cut. Only one official for "B" games, more of a "learn the rules" league.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Nov 16, 2009, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by constable View Post
Never heard of anyone whistling the ball live that often. I only do it after a time out or other unusual delay- do you find that it helps?

It's an NCAAW (and maybe NCAAM) mechanic that is useful in FED, if allowed by your state / local association.