The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 04:12am
Official Forum Member

Another New Guy

Im a fairly new official and new at this site. I just recently was assigned my first few Jr.high and JV basketball games. I have done a few elementry games at the local gym, but that's about it. I have "butterflies" just thinking of the upcoming games. Im lucky to have a few "older guys" helping me out, but im nervous. Anyone have any advice? Advice from what shirt/pants/shoes do you prefer to wear?, game time advice,........ anything would help.
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 04:18am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaBravo View Post
Im a fairly new official and new at this site. I just recently was assigned my first few Jr.high and JV basketball games. I have done a few elementry games at the local gym, but that's about it. I have "butterflies" just thinking of the upcoming games. Im lucky to have a few "older guys" helping me out, but im nervous. Anyone have any advice? Advice from what shirt/pants/shoes do you prefer to wear?, game time advice,........ anything would help.
Slow down. Take your time. See the play before you make a call. If you think
"it's too late now," usually it isn't. Everyone in the building will bombard you with calls. When you hear one of these, it may cause you to momentarily freeze, but this pause is not as long as it will seem at the time. Go ahead and make your call, whether it is the same or opposite of what you heard.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 05:58am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Don't forget to relax and have fun!

Listen to your partners and absorb everything they tell you.

Come back and tell us how it went!

PS - I still get butterflies for some games......it's natural!
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaBravo View Post
Welcome. This is a great site.

First Year Newbie here. Good advice I've received:
1. No one knows the rules as well as you do (Make sure that's true - Rule 4 particularly)
2. You have only 1 friend in the gym, your partner. Do not throw him/her under the bus (I wish there was a more novel way to say that).
3. Slow Down, then slow down, then slow a little more. (Thanks to all of the vets here for that one.)
4. Be in the right place and look in the right area.
5. Make sure your signals are as sharp as can be. The sharper your signals the less chirping from the coaches.
6. Relax. Have fun.
7. Try to be just a little bit early for your games. I hate that feeling of being rushed. Even for Jr. High I like to be there 30 min.s before game time.
8. Shoes are very subjective. I like the Nike Air Monarch III. Make sure they are comfortable. Get some shoe trees. Do not wear them any place except the court.

Last edited by dsqrddgd909; Mon Nov 09, 2009 at 08:34am.
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

I suggest you dont announce to everyone that this is only your first or second game. No one needs to know this. A strong whistle and crisp hand signals will portray an air of confidence. Perception is reality; if you look like you are confident and know what you are doing, that's how you will look to others. Of course a well groomed, neat appearance with proper uniform is the very first impression you should always make.

Try to have a good pregame with your partner to review rotations, switching and primary coverage areas. There is a likelihood you will be told different things by different partners game after game. Just go with the flow at the time, but refer to the rule/case books and the mechanics manual if in doubt. Keep chit-chat with coaches to a bare minimum and resist interaction (positive or negative) with fans. Less is more in the talking department.

Good luck, have fun!
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Communicate with your partner before after and during the game. Your partner, particularly if an older official, will know what time you should be at the game. However, I like to have at least 30 minutes before the game so I don't feel rushed. Take time to get dressed at the school if possible. Have a pregame, or talk about strange things that you have seen, get your mind on basketball because for the short time that you are on the court nothing else is happening in the world (to you).

For shirts I like www.theofficialschoice.com, I find that they are the best around. For pants I like Sansabelt. Others may have different opinions. Whatever pants you purchase, get them early because you will need to have them shortened and no cuff at the bottom. Get compression shorts and a black Underarmour like sleeveless shirt for under your stripes. If you prefer to save on shipping there are other shirts out there but I would recommend micro-mesh.
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 12:21pm
certified Hot Mom tester

When you get butterflies, tell yourself they're just grownup caterpillars. Works for me.
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

Don't forget the number of the player you just called the foul on before you get to the table to report it I'll bet it's happened to just about every official at least once and there is no more helpless feeling. Just relax and have fun; sometimes we all build this stuff up too much. It is after all just a game. If it isn't fun, why do it right? You'll find after awhile that working most games is like driving to work in the morning, it becomes second nature. The biggest thing that I found got me into trouble early in my career was losing my focus and letting my mind drift for a few seconds. Just stay focused and call what you see; if the coaches and fans don't like your calls, so what? They don't have a whistle so their opinion doesn't count. Good luck.
Old Tue Nov 10, 2009, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Welcome to officiating and have fun! You will love it.

Here is what I tell new officials their first night:

You know what the rules of basketball are. 95% of everything that happens is real simple. Out of bounds, foul, travel, etc. Let your partner worry about the tricky stuff. Here is what you do:

1. Make good eye contact
2. Blow your whistle
3. Call what you see
4. Try your best to stay in your area, but that will come with time
5. Have fun.

You do that, and you will have a successful first night.

Just blow that whistle.
Old Tue Nov 10, 2009, 05:30pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Exclamation

I cannot believe that Mark did not give you the First Rule of Officiating.
Old Tue Nov 10, 2009, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

Make sure no matter what you avoid overtime like the plague, and you vomit on the visiting team coach's shoes.

That will make you a strong ref.
Old Tue Nov 10, 2009, 06:00pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
.....and you vomit on the visiting team coach's shoes.
You have to call it both ways. Get the home team's coach, too.

And...as to the first rule of officiating, let him learn it the hard way.
Old Tue Nov 10, 2009, 06:08pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Eeeew!