The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Need help with my own question! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/55319-need-help-my-own-question.html)

ranjo Fri Nov 06, 2009 07:24pm

Need help with my own question!

Was writing some questions for a quiz for my local association and wrote one I couldn't comfortably answer with rules back-up. Its really bad to get caught being wrong in front of a whole association.

Here is the question: During warm-up for a varsity game, the officials note that a player for the home team is wearing a jersey with the number 17. The referee informs the home coach that the player will not be allowed to participate in the game while wearing that jersey. Was the referee correct?

My orginal thought was that the player could play after a technical foul for an illegal uniform was assessed and the coach seatbelted and it would only happen when she tried to enter the game. After some reading in the rule and case books, I'm not so sure.

Whats your take on this?:confused:

Indianaref Fri Nov 06, 2009 07:32pm

Don't have my books with me either, so, here it goes: if the official notices before the 10 minute mark, the coach can still do something about it. After the 10 minute mark, you are correct, don't penalize until he/she enters the game. It is a T Foul charged directly to the coach. The T also adds one to the team total. The coach is seated for remainder of the game.

ranjo Fri Nov 06, 2009 07:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indianaref (Post 634939)
Don't have my books with me either, so, here it goes: if the official notices before the 10 minute mark, the coach can still do something about it. After the 10 minute mark, you are correct, don't penalize until he/she enters the game. It is a T Foul charged directly to the coach. The T also adds one to the team total. The coach is seated for remainder of the game.

What confused me was 3.5.6 Sit.A where players who entered wearing compression shorts below the pants were not allowed to play until the illegal items were removed. The compression shorts it seems are treated as player equipment while the jersey falls under uniform rules.

Anybody else agree or disagree?

26 Year Gap Fri Nov 06, 2009 09:46pm

I thought John Havlicek had retired long ago.

BillyMac Fri Nov 06, 2009 09:47pm

Nfhs 10-5-4 ...

The head coach shall not permit a team member to participate while wearing an illegal uniform (see 3-4). PENALTY: (Section 5) Two free throws plus ball for division-line throw-in. The foul is charged directly to the head coach. (Art. 4) Penalized when discovered. Only one technical foul is charged regardless of the number of offenders.

NFHS 3-4-3-d: The following numbers are legal: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 00, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55. A team member list shall not have both numbers 0 and 00.

Indianaref Sat Nov 07, 2009 05:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranjo (Post 634943)
What confused me was 3.5.6 Sit.A where players who entered wearing compression shorts below the pants were not allowed to play until the illegal items were removed. The compression shorts it seems are treated as player equipment while the jersey falls under uniform rules.

Anybody else agree or disagree?

No.

bob jenkins Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranjo (Post 634938)
Whats your take on this?:confused:

I'm doing this from memory, so the specific rules might be off, but:

"Wearing apparel" (my term) is covered under two rules -- 3-4 and 3-5. The penalty for violating 3-4 is a T. The penalty for violating 3-5 is "you can't play."

The general reasin is that it relatively easy to change the items in 3-5; not so easy for 3-4.