The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 06, 2009, 04:02pm
In Time Out

off topic- college soccer game

How about reffing this one. Why soccer sticks to one ref on the field is beyond me.

Elizabeth Lambert of New Mexico Lobos women's soccer suspended for rough play - ESPN

Last edited by mutantducky; Fri Nov 06, 2009 at 04:04pm.
Old Fri Nov 06, 2009, 04:15pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

She should be imprisoned for some of that crap.
Old Fri Nov 06, 2009, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

That was pretty outrageous
Old Fri Nov 06, 2009, 04:41pm
Official & Member

WOW! That Lambert chick is nasty. Makes ya wonder how she behaves when the cameras aren't on her.
Old Fri Nov 06, 2009, 04:58pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Are beauty pageants athletic contests?
Heptathlete relinquishes her crown after bar fight.
Old Fri Nov 06, 2009, 05:07pm
certified Hot Mom tester

One of my 12 year old granddaughters plays on an U13 traveling soccer team and last Saturday, one of the girls on her team (who is also a close friend) had to be taken to the hospital during the game when she took a forearm to the face from a girl on the other team. She has a broken clavicle. The other girl was not ejected, but received only a yellow card. Go figure.
Old Fri Nov 06, 2009, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
How about reffing this one. Why soccer sticks to one ref on the field is beyond me.
Actually, high level soccer has four officials: a referee, two linesmen and a third assistant who stands at the center of a side line, at least in Europe. I don't know what NCAA soccer does.

The two linesmen are in charge of the offside rule and may call the referee's attention to rough play. Of course, being along the side line (only half of the field), they cannot help very much in this respect.

There has been a test with two referees on the field, but it was wrong from the beginning: each one essentially covered half of the field. Useless. One of the objections was that two referees can't have the same way of judging the plays, go figure.

Ciao
Old Fri Nov 06, 2009, 06:32pm
In Time Out

yeah weird how they missed all that. Only one yellow card. I guess it would be tough to figure out but they need to experiment some more. There are a bunch of missed calls in big soccer games. Adds to the drama I suppose.
As for her. Appalling sure, but I know if they replayed it it would be the only women's soccer game I will watch this year.
Old Fri Nov 06, 2009, 06:49pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by eg-italy View Post
I don't know what NCAA soccer does.
I believe NCAA has a fourth official as well.

Quote:
One of the objections was that two referees can't have the same way of judging the plays, go figure.

Ciao
I do realize soccer is a different game than others but this argument doesn't seem valid to me. There are numerous other sports that have figured out a way to utilize multiple officials and give them an equal (or nearly equal) jurisdiction on the field/court.

I understand in certain areas in the US, high school soccer is officiated by two and three officials whom all have whistles and responsibility for calling fouls, etc. Soccer has the challenge of having to have coverage for offside infractions but I wonder if there is a better way?
Old Fri Nov 06, 2009, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eg-italy View Post
Actually, high level soccer has four officials: a referee, two linesmen and a third assistant who stands at the center of a side line, at least in Europe. I don't know what NCAA soccer does.

The two linesmen are in charge of the offside rule and may call the referee's attention to rough play. Of course, being along the side line (only half of the field), they cannot help very much in this respect.

There has been a test with two referees on the field, but it was wrong from the beginning: each one essentially covered half of the field. Useless. One of the objections was that two referees can't have the same way of judging the plays, go figure.

Ciao
NCAA uses four as well.

I have a question for you, eg-italy: UEFA is using two additional referees to watch the penalty areas in Europa League* matches, to watch for the ball crossing the goal line and fouls in the penalty area. Have those extra referees made any close calls yet? What do fans watching think of this experiment so far?

*Explanatory note for the confused: The Europa League is to the NIT what the Champions League is to the big dance.
Old Fri Nov 06, 2009, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethPDX View Post
NCAA uses four as well.

I have a question for you, eg-italy: UEFA is using two additional referees to watch the penalty areas in Europa League* matches, to watch for the ball crossing the goal line and fouls in the penalty area. Have those extra referees made any close calls yet? What do fans watching think of this experiment so far?

*Explanatory note for the confused: The Europa League is to the NIT what the Champions League is to the big dance.
I know of this experiment, but I don't follow soccer so much; and not Europa League, of course: just boring. No notice of close calls by the additional officials. I believe that the average soccer fan in Europe doesn't care about them.

Actually they might help in cleaning the play in the box, which is becoming more and more rough when waiting for a corner or penalty kick. A simple change in the rules would be much more effective, IMO: declaring that a foul can be called also when the ball is not in play.

Ciao
Old Fri Nov 06, 2009, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

I understand missing one or two of these -- BUT ALL OF THEM -- and they werent even borderline these were as blatant as possible. The yellow card was a joke.
Old Fri Nov 06, 2009, 08:20pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I thought I'd seen it all......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
One of my 12 year old granddaughters plays on an U13 traveling soccer team and last Saturday, one of the girls on her team (who is also a close friend) had to be taken to the hospital during the game when she took a forearm to the face from a girl on the other team. She has a broken clavicle. The other girl was not ejected, but received only a yellow card. Go figure.
Outrageous!

My son played HS and Travel Soccer. He was very fast. After a while teams would do anything to slow him down. Well, we saw our fair share of directs, indirects, penalty shots, etc. But then, he got kneed in the back and had his kidney bruised and lost a season. Then he got hammered and tore his ACL and lost a season. He rehabbed and fought to get back on the field. Then, he was fouled for the last time and suffered a broken ankle. Sad.

He started track his Junior year.

He loved soccer, but his poor body couldn't take the abuse.

This player should be suspended/banned. No excuse.....and I have no idea what the officials were doing. Ridiculous. Someone could really get hurt.
Old Fri Nov 06, 2009, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Updated: November 6, 2009, 5:36 PM ET
New Mexico player banned, apologizes

ESPN.com news services

Lambert Suspended For Actions Vs. BYU

Lambert Suspended For Actions Vs. BYU

New Mexico women's soccer defender Elizabeth Lambert has been suspended indefinitely after engaging in rough play -- including hauling an opposing player to the ground by her pony tail -- in the Lobos' 1-0 loss to BYU in the Mountain West Conference semifinals.
Lambert is prohibited from taking part in practices, games and conditioning, coach Kit Vela announced Friday.
"Liz is a quality student-athlete, but in this instance her actions clearly crossed the line of fair play and good sportsmanship," Vela said.
Video footage of the game shows Lambert, a junior, committing a series of excessively rough plays, including kicking, tackles, a forearm shiver to the back -- in response to an elbow to the ribs -- and yanking BYU forward Kassidy Shumway to the ground by her hair.
Lambert was assessed a yellow card during the 76th minute, apparently for tripping.
On Friday, Lambert apologized for her actions, saying she was "deeply and wholeheartedly regretful."
"I let my emotions get the best of me in a heated situation. I take full responsibility for my actions and accept any punishment felt necessary," Lambert said. "This is in no way indicative of my character or the soccer player that I am. I am sorry to my coaches and teammates for any and all damages I have brought upon them.
"I am especially sorry to BYU and the BYU women's soccer players that were personally affected by my actions. I have the utmost respect for the BYU women's soccer program and its players."
The Mountain West said it endorsed New Mexico's discipline of Lambert, saying her actions violated the conference's sportsmanship policy. The conference said it would continue an internal review of "the overall dynamic involved in the match" and said it would not comment further.
"Liz's conduct on the field against BYU was completely inappropriate," said Paul Krebs, New Mexico's vice president for athletics. "There is no way to defend her actions."
BYU athletic director Tom Holmoe, in a news release, said Krebs had contacted him after the incident.
"It's an unfortunate incident that occurred in the game Thursday afternoon," Holmoe said. "The University of New Mexico and the Mountain West Conference have reviewed the situation and have acted appropriately ... I am pleased with his immediate response to the matter."
New Mexico (13-5-3) was the No. 4 seed in the tournament. Top-seeded BYU (17-2-2), ranked No. 17 in the NCSAA/adidas College Soccer Women's Top 25, advanced to the tournament final against San Diego State with the win.
The Cougars scored the game's lone goal on a Carlee Payne header off a direct kick in the 31st minute.
Old Fri Nov 06, 2009, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

Soccer Box Score (Final)
Mountain West Conference 2009
New Mexico vs #9 BYU (Nov 05, 2009 at BYU PROVO UT)

New Mexico (13-5-3 ; 4-3-0; MWC) vs. Goals by period 1 2 Tot
BYU (17-2-2 ; 6-0-1; MWC) -------------------------------
Date: Nov 05, 2009 Attendance: 667 New Mexico.......... 0 0 - 0
Weather: SUNNY, CLEAR, LIGHT WIND BYU................. 1 0 - 1

New Mexico BYU
Pos ## Player Sh SOG G A Pos ## Player Sh SOG G A
------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------
GK 1 CORNELL, Kelli...... - - - - GK 32 OLSON, McKinzie..... - - - -
F 3 WILLIAMS, Jennifer.. 1 - - - MF 3 ANDERSON, Lauren.... 1 - - -
D 4 QUADOR, Jess........ 2 1 - - F 7 PAYNE, Carlee....... 3 1 1 -
MF 9 REED, Nicole........ - - - - D 8 KONING, Mercede..... 2 - - -
D 10 MCFARLAND, Roxie.... - - - - D 11 Willis, Andrea...... 1 1 - 1
MF 13 FIELDS, Rachel...... 1 1 - - D 13 BARTHOLOMEW, Stacy.. 1 - - -
MF 14 FANNING, Jael....... - - - - MF 15 KAKADELAS, Kelsea... 2 - - -
D 15 LAMBERT, Elizabeth.. 1 1 - - D 18 LISONBEE, Lindsi.... - - - -
D 17 CAVUOTO, Gianna..... - - - - F 21 SHUMWAY-C, Kassidy.. 1 - - 1
MF 21 COLLINS, Amanda..... 1 - - - MF 22 RINGWOOD, Jessica... - - - -
F 23 WYNE, Zaneta........ 2 - - - MF 23 VANDER VEUR, Alyssa. - - - -
---------- Substitutes ---------- ---------- Substitutes ----------