The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 31, 2002, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
In another thread, BBarnaky mentioned that it is good for folks to learn how to break down a tape of a game. He said, but that is for another thread. Okay, Barnaky, let's have it. What IS the method for breaking down tape to receive the maximum instruction?
Old Wed Jul 31, 2002, 10:35am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
In another thread, BBarnaky mentioned that it is good for folks to learn how to break down a tape of a game. He said, but that is for another thread. Okay, Barnaky, let's have it. What IS the method for breaking down tape to receive the maximum instruction?
Using slo-mo
Number of whistles by whom
Violations by whom
Fouls by whom
Blown calls by whom
Out of primary by whom
Missed violations and fouls by whom
Off ball fouls and no-calls by whom
Presence:
  • Body language
  • Hustle
  • Positioning
  • Interaction - eyes, verbal

Do it with a friend. Bring wine,or something brown and snacks.

Old Wed Jul 31, 2002, 07:06pm
    Official Forum Member

mick is on the money.
    to add to his list a bit: when identifying missed calls.
    ask yourself, where am i on the floor? am i calling out of my primary? am i in a bad position on the floor? could i get into a better position for a better angle? did i have poor judgement on the call? watching tape is great for identifying when you do something wrong. most of the time i do not know i am doing wrong until i watch the tape or someone has a diffeent perspective.

also ask yourself am i in good athletic shape? if not it could hurt your credibility.
    am i getting to the best position on the floor? if not it could hurt your play calling.
    am i hustling down the court and not getting beat on a fast break?

things that will not help you get better is to look at the plays you get right and fast forward through the tough plays and the missed plays to pet your ego.
    Old Thu Aug 01, 2002, 11:38am
    Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
    What instructions should I give to the person running the tape? I'm not yet at the level where the teams are taping every game, so I take a kid along to help me out. Obviously, he needs to know how to run the machinery, but I've usually told him that I don't care about the players. But if the eval includes missed calls, I guess they need to be on tape. How much of the floor should be in the picture at once? Do I have the kid work for different angles, such as moving positions during time outs or something?
    Old Thu Aug 01, 2002, 02:47pm
    In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
    Originally posted by rainmaker
    What instructions should I give to the person running the tape? I'm not yet at the level where the teams are taping every game, so I take a kid along to help me out. Obviously, he needs to know how to run the machinery, but I've usually told him that I don't care about the players. But if the eval includes missed calls, I guess they need to be on tape. How much of the floor should be in the picture at once? Do I have the kid work for different angles, such as moving positions during time outs or something?
    Jewel,
    For a private video, try to focus on You with the ball in the picture somewhere for reference to the play.
    When you move to report - on you.
    When you are off-ball - on you.
    When you are dead ball officiating - on you.
    You should be in one side of the screen with as much action as possible on the rest of the screen.
    Scan at the clock during dead balls for a reference.

It would be excellent if you had audio, an experienced trainer/mentor for color commentary, and you didn't know which games he was filming.

Preferably, the location of the camera would be such that the half of the court with the ball, and you, are in focus.

mick

Old Fri Aug 09, 2002, 03:33pm
    Official Forum Member

My Turn

Ok I have been a little busy and haven't seen this thread yet. Just let me add to the earlier and good information already presented.

Two ways to watch tape. 1. Tape the game itself and do the things in the earlier posts above mine. One thing to add is that it is important to note is "open" versus "closed" lanes of vision or looks. When you call a play or "no call" a play run it back and use the pause and slow motion to your advantage. Ask yourself, do I have an open look? (can I see the play clearly and see space between defender and offensive player or can I only see one player or only the front or back of a player. This is examples of plays that we often call incorrectly because we cannot see the play and let it start, develop and finish. All the other ideas posted above should be applied here as well. In my opinion (for whatever its worth) this is probably one of the best learning tools to become a solid/great play caller, which all officials can get better at no matter the experience level. GOTTA BE HONEST WITH YOURSELF.
    2. Have somebody just video you and you alone. Has nothing to do with the "game" per se but just your signals, presentation, strengths and weaknesses, etc. Gotta really focus and try and find things to work on to make yourself stronger looking and so forth while your on the floor.

Both of these types of taping suite me well. I typically get game film of every game I do, however method #2 above I try and do a couple of times a year just to check my posture, presentation, mechanics, etc. out. I usually have somebody watch these "up close" shots to get other perspective as well, which is helpful.

If you have any further questions, I would be happy to address them as I think this is very important and at various levels of officiating is often overlooked or is not stressed enough. Happy film watching!!