The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 27, 2009, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

Staying focused

I know this happens to all of us from time to time, so I'd like some input from you. Some nights, because of family, work, personal, or other issues we know going into the game that we're going to be somewhat distracted and not up to 100% level. Having a real strong expectation on myself to do my best each night, this is hard for me. What do you do when the "tough" nights come and your mind wanders or you feel extra stressed because of the personal issues that have nothing to do with the game? How do you stay in the game and not doubt yourself or come down too hard on yourself on those nights? Thanks in advance for your comments.
Old Tue Oct 27, 2009, 08:51pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Opposites Attract ...

I take the opposite approach. I find that being out on the court takes my mind off my various problems, whether they be family related, work related, medical problems, money problems, etc. Sometimes I can't wait to get onto the court.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Oct 27, 2009, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

I'm like Billy here. On the court everything else does not matter. Its great for just that short time, basketball on this court (the one I'm on) is the only thing happening in the universe.
Old Tue Oct 27, 2009, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

Lump me in with Billy and SAK. Officiating is my respite from "real life" and whilst I'm between the lines, the rest of the world ceases to exist for me. But that's just me.

If I were struggling with focus, first I'd try what I normally do when my focus is wandering (just because my mind is off the world doesn't mean it's totally on the game either). I concentrate on what's happening. "Blue is bring the ball" "White is on defense" "Left foot is his pivot" "Screen coming", that sort of thing. Consciously focusing on the action, loosing the voices in my head, tends to drag me back to the action pretty quickly.

If that isn't doing it, perhaps the game is a "cake walk", I'd think about picking a couple of things to work on.

If all else fails, you can try kicking a couple of obvious calls and let the coach have a go at sharpening your focus.

Maybe some of that might help.

Last edited by Back In The Saddle; Tue Oct 27, 2009 at 11:15pm.
Old Tue Oct 27, 2009, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

I have worked hard to create my gameday a ritual. This begins with packing my bag the same way, getting to the game site in plenty of time and conducting a solid pregame. I work really hard to put aside anything that might have come up during the day. Maybe it is just that I am not very smart, but once the game starts, it requires all of my focus anyhow.
Old Tue Oct 27, 2009, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

Refnrev, I've been basically off duty for a couple of years, but I know what I did before when I was feeling distracted -- and there were days...!! I would talk to myself out loud quietly about the game as it was unfolding in front of me. "I'm off ball, watching #45 try to get free to receive a pass. where's my partner? Oo, some contact, but no real advantage,
now she's in the key, now out. Okay, she's rotating out to the sideline, check the whole floor, #5 is setting up to take a charge, but the dribbler veers away, where's the clock? Ball dropping down weak-side, I'm rotating across, ...

and so on. It really helps keep my attention out of myself, and on the action. Keep the whistle in your mouth and just pretend you're putting commentary on a tape, or that you're asking and answering questions, as if from an evaluator.
Old Wed Oct 28, 2009, 05:15am
Official Forum Member

On ball: usually focus isn't hard to maintain -- just watch the ball.

Off ball: count the players in your primary.
Old Wed Oct 28, 2009, 11:03am
certified Hot Mom tester

During the "regular" day, an almost infinite number of things happen that affect my life. Some I can control, some I can only react to. However, while officiating a game, I feel I am in total control. It's that concentration on having ultimate authority that forces my mind (such as it is) to focus on the game and not outside events.

Of course, there are some things I can't get out of my mind no matter how intense the game is, i.e.: a sick family member. Some things are just much more important than the game. I just deal with it.
Old Wed Oct 28, 2009, 11:16am
Do not give a damn!!

Officiating for me is a "get away." Especially when I am talking about basketball officiating. There is so much to do and so much to get right; I do not have time to think about other things.

The best example I can give is I had an aunt that had Brest Cancer. I went to see her in November for about a week and saw how bad she was and it was clear she was dying. I came back and worked a high schools scrimmage (by myself at that) and it totally took my mind off the personal events for just a few hours.

Later the next year she died on June 30. There was a period where I hardly worked anything. When the football season started, it was the best thing for me.

Now maybe this is because of my lifestyle, I do not get outside things get in the way. I love being on the court and field and my personal life is non-existent for a few hours. And it helps me keep some things in perspective. What we are doing is not life or death and it is just fun for the most part. Maybe that will change as other things in my life become more important, but right now I do not allow anything else to distract me for that short period of time. I look forward to my time officiating so I can "get away" from all my other problems.

And since you are a person of God and I have been striving to be more spiritual, I have learned more and more to trust in God and not worry about those things I cannot control either. I am still a work in progress, but I try to keep things in my life from interfering with other things as much as possible.

I do not know if what I said helps, but that is what I do.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 28, 2009, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Thanks Juulie for the talking out loud thing.... I was quiet once when I was young, but didn't like it and never tried it again. Talking is also an emoting for me.... I just hope they don't put me in white jacket and take me off the court for talking to myself!

Of course, there are some things I can't get out of my mind no matter how intense the game is, i.e.: a sick family member. Some things are just much more important than the game. I just deal with it.[/QUOTE]
Thanks Mark ... that's exactly what I needed to hear. Who'd have thunk it? Padgett being the voice of reason for me
Old Wed Oct 28, 2009, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
During the "regular" day, an almost infinite number of things happen that affect my life. Some I can control, some I can only react to. However, while officiating a game, I feel I am in total control. It's that concentration on having ultimate authority that forces my mind (such as it is) to focus on the game and not outside events.

Of course, there are some things I can't get out of my mind no matter how intense the game is, i.e.: a sick family member. Some things are just much more important than the game. I just deal with it.
BWAAHAAHAA Stop it, I almost spit water all over my keyboard!

Those are by far the best one-liners you have ever had. Keep it up. I always enjoy your sense of humor.
Old Wed Oct 28, 2009, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
On ball: usually focus isn't hard to maintain -- just watch the ball.

Off ball: count the players in your primary.
Even better than that, at least in my experience, find the two closest competitive matchups and watch them.

Over all, the trend of the advice is basically this: Have a specific thing, or set of things, to do at all times. Then do them.
Old Wed Oct 28, 2009, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Just like everyone else has said what ever game I am on and that court that is the main thing for that time that I am there. Also, I take it a step further I try to get things out of my head on the car ride so when I get there everything is free flowing. My favorite thing to do is to listen to music. I try to find something upbeat, mostly new. That is the best thing that works for me. Also, I try to keep a beat in my head it has helped when stressful situations have arised in a game.

JB
Old Wed Oct 28, 2009, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
Over all, the trend of the advice is basically this: Have a specific thing, or set of things, to do at all times. Then do them.
OK if this set is very small, as in 2 or 3. Losing focus is often the result of trying to do too much.
Old Wed Oct 28, 2009, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
OK if this set is very small, as in 2 or 3. Losing focus is often the result of trying to do too much.
Trying to do too much consciously is certainly a recipe for not actually accomplishing anything. So, yes, you've got the keep the number of things your consciously watching fairly small. I would think you'd want to do only as much as necessary to keep you focused. Your unconscious will then take care of the rest.