The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 30, 2002, 09:33pm
In Memoriam

Held on a trial basis for NFHS, Michigan's "40 point in the second half" mercy rule is gone with regard to Varsity ball.
Michigan liked and recommended the rule though, and will retain it for sub-varsity games.
Old Tue Jul 30, 2002, 11:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Question What did you think about it?

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Held on a trial basis for NFHS, Michigan's "40 point in the second half" mercy rule is gone with regard to Varsity ball.
Michigan liked and recommended the rule though, and will retain it for sub-varsity games.
Did you like the rule Mick?

I would think that the rule would hurt kids in the long run. A HS game hardly takes an 1hour 1/2. It seems like that would greatly cut down that time for the backups or any kids that do not play very much minutes. The game is not like football, no one gets hurt because of a big hit. At least in theory.

Peace
Old Wed Jul 31, 2002, 05:24am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb Re: What did you think about it?

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Did you like the rule Mick?

I would think that the rule would hurt kids in the long run. A HS game hardly takes an 1hour 1/2. It seems like that would greatly cut down that time for the backups or any kids that do not play very much minutes. The game is not like football, no one gets hurt because of a big hit. At least in theory.

Peace
Rut,
I liked the rule. I don't think the rule hurt the kids. I think poor coaching hurt kids. Poor participation hurt kids. But, then, I like the ten run mercy, too.
If players cannot compete within 40 points, or 10 runs, perhaps they should change levels, change coaches or change sports.
Opposing coaches didn't have to go to 40 points, they could have had lots of subs and underclassman on the floor with their starters on the bench. Opposing coaches could have controlled the spread quite nicely, if they chose to do so.
There are other reasons that a team gets beaten by a bunch. But, it isn't the rule that hurts the kids.
mick

Old Wed Jul 31, 2002, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The games didn't end at 40 did it? I thought it just went to a running clock.
Old Wed Jul 31, 2002, 09:36am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Watson
Quote:
The games didn't end at 40 did it? I thought it just went to a running clock.
Brian,
Your are exactly correct.
They were only "virtually" over.
The clock was to revert to normal timing if the delta became 30 or less. I never saw that happen, though I'm sure it could.
mick