The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Sitting beyond coaching box line (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/55142-sitting-beyond-coaching-box-line.html)

Ref Ump Welsch Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdmara (Post 632863)
Last winter I came down with a cold during the season and could not find a substitute for my games as our association was stretched as thin as possible due to weather cancellations. For a few weeks I carried out a small bottle of hand sanitizer to the score table before the game. During time outs (and I was close to the table), I would wander over to "discuss something with the scorebook" (in reality I was using my hand sanitizer). I don't think it would be a bad thing but it's the problem solver.

-Josh

I like your idea Josh. :) Maybe I'll bring a big one, and instruct all the players and coaches to use it too. :D

jdmara Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch (Post 632892)
I like your idea Josh. :) Maybe I'll bring a big one, and instruct all the players and coaches to use it too. :D

I don't know if I would go as far as have the players and coaches do it but I usually have a bottle that I use at halftime and after the game in the locker room (in case a sink is not available).

Since I work at the state health lab I feel obligated to say that washing your hands is better than using hand sanitizer. Washing is less harsh on the skin tissue. But I use hand sanitizer when I can't get to a sink.

-Josh

BillyMac Mon Oct 26, 2009 07:23pm

Inquiring Minds Want To Know ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by referee99 (Post 632856)
My SOP is to make sure that there are no chairs for either bench closer to the division line that the 28' mark. More often than not, these chairs were set up by JV or freshman players tasked with doing so, and they just got them open and in the vicinity. Often there are 2 or 3 chairs 'north' of the line and I will ask that they be moved, or will just do it myself.

Now you guys have got me confused. The NFHS gives us precise, get out your tape measure, definitions of both the coaching box, and the timeout area, yet the definition of the bench area seems a "fuzzy". Can a player sit on the bench between the twenty-eight foot line, and the table? Can a coach sit on the bench between the twenty-eight foot line, and the table, if he, or she, chooses not to stand in the coaching box? Any citations other than the citations below?

1-13: TEAM BENCH LOCATIONS, COACHING BOX, TIME-OUT AREA
ART. 1 The location of each team's bench shall be designated by game management. It is recommended that the benches for team members and coaches of both teams be placed along that side of the court on which the scorer's and timer's table is located.
ART. 2 The coaching box shall be outlined outside the side of the court on which the scorer's and timer's table and team benches are located. The area shall be bounded by a line 28 feet from the end line, the sideline, a line no more than 14 feet from the 28-foot line toward the end line, and the team bench. These lines shall be located off the court, be 2 inches wide. NOTE: State associations may alter the length and placement of the 14-foot (maximum) coaching box.
ART. 3 The time-out area shall be the area inside an imaginary rectangle formed by the boundaries of the sideline (including the bench), end line, and an imaginary line extended from the free-throw lane line nearest the bench area meeting an imaginary line extended from the coaching-box line.

Back In The Saddle Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:51pm

10.5.1 SITUATION E: The coach of Team B sits on the opposite end of the bench from where the optional coaching box is located. The coach rises only when permitted by rule. RULING: Legal. The coach is not required to use the optional coaching box even though it has been adopted by the state association. However, if the coach begins the game by sitting somewhere other than where the box is located, he/she may not use the box privileges any time during the game. The coach must begin the game in a position within the box if he/she wishes to stand when permitted under the optional coaching-box provisions.

AFAIK, the bench is not restricted from being "north" of the 28' foot line. However, if the coach isn't sitting within the box, he's stuck sitting.

BillyMac Tue Oct 27, 2009 06:50am

Moral Compass ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle (Post 632997)
10.5.1 SITUATION E: If the coach begins the game by sitting somewhere other than where the box is located, he/she may not use the box privileges any time during the game. The coach must begin the game in a position within the box if he/she wishes to stand when permitted under the optional coaching-box provisions.

Back In The Saddle: Good citation. Thanks.

Lcubed48 Wed Oct 28, 2009 01:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 632752)
I had trouble reading your post. Could you make your font a little bigger?

I recommend using a serif font instead of a sans-serif font.
And for more info go here