Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 21, 2009, 03:21pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Basketball is my favorite to officiate,

Pro Football and College March Madness are my favorites to watch on TV,

Hockey is my favorite to see live (Baseball is the cheapest to see live (but can be slow at times)), and

Golf is my favorite to still participate in.

I like em all!!!
Old Wed Oct 21, 2009, 03:21pm
M.A.S.H.

I enjoy watching baseball, basketball, football, and hockey. If I had to pick my favorite sport to watch it would probably be baseball.

I officiate baseball, basketball, and football. I guess I'm a seasonal official as whatever sport I'm in seems to be my "favorite".
Old Wed Oct 21, 2009, 03:47pm
Courageous When Prudent

Spectating: The NFL

Participating: pick-up basketball
Old Thu Oct 22, 2009, 02:50am
Official Forum Member

My top three!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
Is basketball your favorite sport?
I only officiate basketball.
My favorite sport to play is baseball followed by football then basketball. I rate them according to the level of my success while playing the sports. But, I do enjoy all three.
Old Thu Oct 22, 2009, 11:19am
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

If I really had to pick my favorite to watch, it would be the NHL back in the day when I had season tickets for the Blackhawks for two years. This was when they had Bobby Hull, Stan Mikita, Glenn Hall, Dennis Hull, Pit Martin, Phil Esposito, Ken Hodge, Pat Stapleton, Gilles Marrotte, etc.

Man, that was an exciting time. Watching Bobby Hull play against Gordy Howe was almost a fan's fantasy.
Old Thu Oct 22, 2009, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Baseball is my favorite sport and it is what I played all through high school. I love basketball too, particularly high school and college. I don't watch the NBA anymore. Love football too, I'm basically a sports nut. I officiate basketball and baseball, but basketball is by far my favorite to officiate. I like the constant movement and the ability to use judgment and determine advantage/disadvantage. It can be easy to zone out working baseball, especially in the field. An hour and a half basketball game seems to fly by, but those high school doubleheaders in baseball can take four or five hours and seem like twice that sometimes.
Old Thu Oct 22, 2009, 12:57pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
If I really had to pick my favorite to watch, it would be the NHL back in the day when I had season tickets for the Blackhawks for two years. This was when they had Bobby Hull, Stan Mikita, Glenn Hall, Dennis Hull, Pit Martin, Phil Esposito, Ken Hodge, Pat Stapleton, Gilles Marrotte, etc.

Man, that was an exciting time. Watching Bobby Hull play against Gordy Howe was almost a fan's fantasy.
As I stated earlier, I love hockey live and up close too!

While it might not be Hull vs Howe, or even Gretzky vs Lemieux (yet), here in DC we have "The Great 8" Alex Ovechkin vs Sid "The Kid" Crosby - which ain't bad!

PS - besides, in DC, it's all we've got!
Old Thu Oct 22, 2009, 01:56pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
PS - besides, in DC, it's all we've got!
What about all those games being played in Congress? Plus, if I remember correctly, there was some kind of sport being played in Bill Clinton's closet with my cousin Monica.
Old Thu Oct 22, 2009, 02:21pm
Travel, Offside & Strike!

Quote:
Soccer? Fahgeddaboudit, unless one of the grandkids is playing.
Actually, soccer officiating requires better conditioning that just about any of the other sports & probably even more snap decision making. ( illegal contact, offside, etc. with 22 players on the field)

Most soccer officials run an average of 4.7 miles on the pitch during a game. The halves are also 45 minutes with no time outs.

Reffing soccer keeps me in shape for doing basketball. Or, is it the other way around??

Fahgeddaboudit?? Only if you can't hack it....
Old Thu Oct 22, 2009, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Shooting a BB gun is your second favorite sport!?!?!
BB is short for Bad Boy
Old Thu Oct 22, 2009, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shavano View Post
Actually, soccer officiating requires better conditioning that just about any of the other sports
Quite possibly.
Quote:
& probably even more snap decision making. ( illegal contact, offside, etc. with 22 players on the field)
Not sure I agree with that. The proximity of basketball makes for a lot more situtations. With soccer, there are at least 7 of those 22 who are not even remotely involved in the play at any given time (1 goalie and, commonly, 4 defenders, and 2 forwards form the other team). Of the remaining 15, only a couple are really at risk of being offsides, and through much of the game many of them are not really near the ball nor near another player. Stuff may happen away from the ball, it is not really that common. Most soccer action happens in the vicinity of the ball.
Quote:
Most soccer officials run an average of 4.7 miles on the pitch during a game. The halves are also 45 minutes with no time outs.

Not the one my team had two weeks ago. The guy barely moved. His OOB calls seemed to be determined by a coin flip as he got them wrong about as often as he got them right. Both the opposing coach and I would look at each other and scratch our heads wondering what he was looking at. What it boiled down to was that he stayed pretty much near the center circle and was rarely in the right spot to even have a decent look at the play.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Thu Oct 22, 2009 at 04:03pm.
Old Thu Oct 22, 2009, 05:00pm
Travel, Offside & Strike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post

Not sure I agree with that. The proximity of basketball makes for a lot more situtations. With soccer, there are at least 7 of those 22 who are not even remotely involved in the play at any given time (1 goalie and, commonly, 4 defenders, and 2 forwards form the other team). Of the remaining 15, only a couple are really at risk of being offsides, and through much of the game many of them are not really near the ball nor near another player. Stuff may happen away from the ball, it is not really that common. Most soccer action happens in the vicinity of the ball.
I agree with you to an extent about the involvement pf players at any given time. You'd be surprised ( or maybe not) at the amount of crap that goes on "off ball". Unfortunately, it doesn't get called near as much as it should, because all of the official's attention is in the vicinity of the ball. Then, when the person initiallly wronged tries to retaliate, they generally get caught and carded for Unsporting , or worse, Violent Conduct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Not the one my team had two weeks ago. The guy barely moved. His OOB calls seemed to be determined by a coin flip as he got them wrong about as often as he got them right. Both the opposing coach and I would look at each other and scratch our heads wondering what he was looking at. What it boiled down to was that he stayed pretty much near the center circle and was rarely in the right spot to even have a decent look at the play.
I've seen a few of those, believe me. That's one of the things I appeciate about the double-dual ( 3 whistle) system used in most states for high school soccer. You may get stuck with a "center-dweller", but as long as your side refs are running, the offside line and most of the fouls still get covered.
Old Thu Oct 22, 2009, 06:49pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Hockey In Phoenix, Give Me A Break ...

Quote:
If I really had to pick my favorite to watch, it would be the NHL back in the day when I had season tickets for the Blackhawks for two years. This was when they had Bobby Hull, Stan Mikita, Glenn Hall, Dennis Hull, Pit Martin, Phil Esposito, Ken Hodge, Pat Stapleton, Gilles Marrotte, etc. Man, that was an exciting time. Watching Bobby Hull play against Gordy Howe was almost a fan's fantasy.
You're right. That was before southern expansion ruined the NHL. Gordie Howe played here in Connecticut, on a team called the Whalers. Now the Whalers are called the Hurricanes and play in North Carolina, a real hockey hotbed, not.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)