The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 01, 2009, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

Rule books are posted at NFHS

I just downloaded rules and cases for 2009-2010.

The link for the official's manual is broken. I'll have to wait for that one.

Most of you already know, but you must be a member to get them.

NFHS Publications
Old Fri Oct 02, 2009, 06:41am
Esteemed Forum Member

It's Like Christmas Morning ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsl View Post
Rule books are posted at NFHS.
rsl: Thanks. I've been waiting for this.

This is my first year as a member. It's difficult for IAABO members to join the NFHS here in Connecticut. I contacted our State Athletic Association (CIAC) and they got me in with the volleyball officials. Now I get to officiate my basketball games from a ladder at the division line. I could do this for another twenty-eight years.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Oct 02, 2009, 07:30am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Now I get to officiate my basketball games from a ladder at the division line. I could do this for another twenty-eight years.
Hmmmm. Good angles/no obstructed views, ease of reporting to the table, easy on the knees, always looking DOWN on coaches....you may have something their Billy!

I'd be curious as to how you/your partners work switches though.
Old Fri Oct 02, 2009, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Hmmmm. Good angles/no obstructed views, ease of reporting to the table, easy on the knees, always looking DOWN on coaches....you may have something their Billy!

If Billy's ladder is at the division line, opposite table (easier to report fouls, don't have to turn around) then his partners will be on a ladder at each end, at L, tableside. It will be modified, two-person, ladder-height, half-court mechanics. No switches needed, except perhaps to climb down and switch ladders at each quarter. Players would be responsible for their own throw-ins.

Now, I'm curious, would we be responsible for bringing our own ladders, or would the schools supply them?

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Oct 02, 2009, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
Now, I'm curious, would we be responsible for bringing our own ladders, or would the schools supply them?
A little tower might be better, with padding to protect the players.

Schools already have at least one of those for volleyball.
Old Fri Oct 02, 2009, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
A little tower might be better, with padding to protect the players.

Schools already have at least one of those for volleyball.
With budget issues, I'm wondering if schools would require us to bring the other two.

Can't wait to see the Honig's catalog and look over the different color choices...

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Oct 02, 2009, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

Question NFHS membership

I just downloaded rules and cases for 2009-2010.

The link for the official's manual is broken. I'll have to wait for that one.

Most of you already know, but you must be a member to get them.

NFHS Publications

I am not currently a member of the NFHS, nor does my state association offer a memberhip to the NFHS. I went to their website tonight and saw the option for an individual and online only memberships. Can you tell me the difference between them?
Old Tue Oct 06, 2009, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post

First of all, it's actually pretty hard on the legs to be up on the ladder for a prolonged period of time. I'd much rather run. Second, not only do you get to look down on the coaches, they don't even get to talk to you. If they need something, they are required send their captain to you. Third, if somebody gets even a little outta hand, show 'em a card and they're likely to be good as gold the rest of the night.

However, you've got to know at every moment which position every player on the floor is playing. Not only do you need to judge whether that block was legal (not BI or GT), but also whether the player making the block was front row or back row during this rotation. Oh, and you also need to consider the spin on the ball when judging whether each pass is legal.
Old Tue Oct 06, 2009, 12:48pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
rsl: Thanks. I've been waiting for this.

This is my first year as a member. It's difficult for IAABO members to join the NFHS here in Connecticut...

Why is that?
Old Tue Oct 06, 2009, 06:24pm
Esteemed Forum Member

NFHS Membership ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Why is that?
For some reason, Connecticut is a state where only entire official associations, i.e. volleyball, football, softball, etc., can join the NFHS. This came from an agreement between the CIAC, our state high school athletics governing body, and the NFHS. Most officials groups do join. Basketball is an exception. All basketball officials here in the "Land of Steady Habits" are affiliated with IAABO, and we get our NFHS rulebook, NFHS casebook, and our IAABO manual, from IAABO. There is no need to join the NFHS, so we don't.

I felt guilty using pirated online NFHS rulebooks, and NFHS casebooks, so I approached the CIAC about joining as an individual. I couldn't, so they pulled off an end around and let me join with the volleyball officials group. For only $12.00 per year I get access to all the online rulebooks, etc.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)