The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 02, 2009, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

9-3-3

Last night, A1 dribbled down the left wing, then passed to A2 who was deep in the left corner standing just outside the 3pt line. A1 then went around A2 and went partially out of bounds (left foot and most of body were out of bounds) and then returned to the floor. He was out of bounds for a little more than 2 seconds. It was pretty clear he went out of bounds on his own. Wasn't forced out, didn't lose his balance. He went OOB to get around his own teammate.

I called violation. My partner had a problem with this as he said 9-3-3 is usually used in screening situations. I said the intent of the rule seems to me to prevent anyone from gaining an advantage by going out of bounds.

The rule says "A player shall not leave the floor for an unauthorized reason."

My question is, what constitutes "leaving the floor"? The whole body? Stepping out?
Old Fri Oct 02, 2009, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

You got it right. One foot out is all you need as long as in your judgement it was intentional. Violation.
Old Fri Oct 02, 2009, 11:54am
Ch1town

For the record, in Fed it is a violation "when" they step off. It doesn't matter how long they've been off (2 seconds as you stated).

I think it's a little different in NCAA...

Also, I generally enforce this in "real game" situations not wreck (they wouldn't understand) or off-season ball (it's not worth it).

Had his momentum carried him off the court & he delayed returning for a clear advantage... WHACK!
Old Fri Oct 02, 2009, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
I called violation. My partner had a problem with this as he said 9-3-3 is usually used in screening situations. I said the intent of the rule seems to me to prevent anyone from gaining an advantage by going out of bounds.

The rule says "A player shall not leave the floor for an unauthorized reason."

My question is, what constitutes "leaving the floor"? The whole body? Stepping out?
I agree with your ruling. NFHS cases help.

First, there is no restriction on applying the rule to non-screening situations. For example, see case 9.3.3.A.

Secondly, the cases are not as clear on leaving the floor. All of the cases refer to stepping, going or running out of bounds. However 2 of the 3 also specify outside the end line. Your situation is a good example of a player going partially outside the sideline/end line to gain an unfair advantage.

9.3.3 SITUATION A:
A1 receives a pass while in the restricted area of the lane. A1 passes the ball to A2 outside the three-point line. In order to get the three-second count stopped. A1 steps directly out of bounds under A's basket. RULING:
A1 is charged with a violation for leaving the court for an unauthorized reason