Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 30, 2009, 07:11am
Official Forum Member

Something new to me...

A shutout!!!

28-0

grade 9 girls HS ball.

Hopefully my Jv/Sr V double header will be a bit better tonight.
Old Wed Sep 30, 2009, 07:53am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Wow!

I've had a couple of real low-scoring games and lopsided scores, but never a shutout. Any foul shots? Were the spectators groaning or excited by near-misses or close shots?

Mark would be happy - knowing the chance of OT in this game was eliminated after the FIRST basket!
Old Wed Sep 30, 2009, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

I lost a freshman boys game back in 2001-2001; 52-4.

The refs missed a lot of calls near the end that decided the outcome when we were trying to make a comeback....
Old Wed Sep 30, 2009, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

1 point

Never had a shut out. But came close. I believe the score of the JV girls game was 54-1. I called a shooting foul. It basically wasn't a foul nor was the player from losing team trying to shoot. The girl was standing still and the defender applied a little pressure. So, with both hands, she holds the ball behind her head. The defender reached over the top of the head to try to create a jump ball. Soft contact occured. 2 shoot foul. The girl misses both.
Later on in the 2nd quarter, a player from the winning team is subbed into the game. She has a different numbered jersy than in the book. Technical foul. Player misses the 1st one, makes the 2nd one. There is the 1 point. Oh I forgot to mention... I was the only official. My partner does not show. He missed out on all the fun!
Old Wed Sep 30, 2009, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Oh there were foul shots.

At least one didn't hit the rim. Others were drilled off the rim. The crowd was really hoping for at least one bucket.

After the first half, I was hoping for a shut out since I thought it'd be cool to post on here. hahaa
Old Wed Sep 30, 2009, 09:25am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by constable View Post
Oh there were foul shots.

At least one didn't hit the rim. Others were drilled off the rim. The crowd was really hoping for at least one bucket.
That's been my experience too, especially in Wreck Ball.

Quote:
After the first half, I was hoping for a shut out since I thought it'd be cool to post on here. hahaa
Sick! Funny, but sick!
Old Wed Sep 30, 2009, 09:34am
certified Hot Mom tester

Since our local kids rec league starts in 3rd grade, we occasionally have a shutout. A few years ago, I was training some HS kids to be officials in a 3rd-4th grade girls game and the final score was 5-0. The main topic of conversation by the kids and parents after the game was excitement because one of the girls actually made a free throw.

Oh yeah - at that grade level there's no OT. Games that end in a tie after regulation are just that - a tie. The kids don't care.
Old Wed Sep 30, 2009, 11:33am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Since our local kids rec league starts in 3rd grade, we occasionally have a shutout. A few years ago, I was training some HS kids to be officials in a 3rd-4th grade girls game and the final score was 5-0. The main topic of conversation by the kids and parents after the game was excitement because one of the girls actually made a free throw.

Oh yeah - at that grade level there's no OT. Games that end in a tie after regulation are just that - a tie. The kids don't care.
Amazing...must have some pulseless parents in that league.
Old Wed Sep 30, 2009, 06:42pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Mark Padgett Must Have Loved The Good Old Days ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
At that grade level there's no OT. Games that end in a tie after regulation are just that, a tie.
They say it's like kissing your sister. At least that's what they used to say back in the good old days when there were lots of ties, before there were overtimes in football, and hockey, or shootouts in hockey, and soccer.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Sep 30, 2009 at 07:09pm.
Old Thu Oct 01, 2009, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

I reffed an intramural woman's game in college......final was 4-0. Thanks goodness the girls were easy on the eyes because they sucked on the court.
Old Fri Oct 02, 2009, 08:30am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by derwil View Post
I reffed an intramural woman's game in college......final was 4-0. Thanks goodness the girls were easy on the eyes because they sucked on the court.
A sentence to be careful of!
Old Fri Oct 02, 2009, 08:31am
Ref Ump Welsch

By the way, speaking of shut outs, ask a wrestling official if he's ever had a negative final score.