The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 24, 2002, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

How would you have handled this situation?

NCAA rules in effect, no replay equipment present:

Team A is shooting the front-end of a 1 and 1 with 4.2 seconds remaining on the clock. The shot is missed and Team B rebounds the ball, goes the length of the floor and scores a lay-up. However, the clock never starts on the rebound due to malfunction.

Since neither official can definitely tell whether the try was successful before the horn should have sounded, what should you do? Remember, no replays are available.

NCAA Rule 2-12 art. 14 says, "When an obvious error by the official timer has occurred because of the failure to start or stop the game clock properly, the error may be corrected only when the referee has definite information relative to the time involved."

Does this mean, count the bucket and give Team A the ball with the same 4.2 seconds, OR, give Team B the ball out of bounds closest to the spot of the rebound with 4.2 seconds thus not counting the lay-up they should have scored?

Since my partner and I only had DEFINITE information that Team B had rebounded the ball with 4.2 seconds, we chose the latter scenario.

What would you have done???
Old Wed Jul 24, 2002, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Under no circumstances should you have had a "do-over".
The T should have had a 10 second count going, one of you 2
should have had an eye on the clock. In practical terms
even in your case the R needed to have decided time
expired, no basket, or time did not expire & take SOME time
off the clock. Never a do-over.
Old Wed Jul 24, 2002, 10:01am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Under no circumstances should you have had a "do-over".
The T should have had a 10 second count going, one of you 2
should have had an eye on the clock. In practical terms
even in your case the R needed to have decided time
expired, no basket, or time did not expire & take SOME time
off the clock. Never a do-over.
If there is any doubt and the clock is run by the home team (not sure of the rules reference):
  • If home team had last shot, don't count it.
  • If visiting team had last shot, count it.
    or
  • What you said, Dan.

mick

The world is run by people with C- averages.
    Old Wed Jul 24, 2002, 10:17am
    Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
    The basket's good and there is 1.2 seconds left in the game. Hey, my guess is good as anybody else's.

Chuck
    Old Wed Jul 24, 2002, 10:23am
    Official Forum Member

I understand your point. But, based on what the rule says, we did not have "definite information relative to the time involved". The ball crossed half court so fast, the T's ten second count hardly ever began.

In hindsight, probably the best way to have handled it would be for the T to immediately blow the whistle upon noticing the clock never started. It would have stopped the play in the middle, but it would have avoided any "do-over" scenario beacuse the play would never have happened.
    Old Wed Jul 24, 2002, 10:26am
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    Under no circumstances should you have had a "do-over". The T should have had a 10 second count going, one of you 2 should have had an eye on the clock
    Dan - I'll agree with your saying there should not be a do-over, but would you actually be counting a ten second back court when there's only 4.some seconds left to play? Maybe this is something I should be doing for clock management skills, I dunno !

I still like Chuck's answer. If you stroll to the table with confidence and say "I know the bucket was good, three seconds ticked off - put 1.2 on the clock," I think you gain a little credibility by having some presence of mind to know what the heck was going on when the clock screws up.
    Old Wed Jul 24, 2002, 10:39am
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    Originally posted by Danvrapp
    Quote:
    Under no circumstances should you have had a "do-over". The T should have had a 10 second count going, one of you 2 should have had an eye on the clock
    Dan - I'll agree with your saying there should not be a do-over, but would you actually be counting a ten second back court when there's only 4.some seconds left to play? Maybe this is something I should be doing for clock management skills, I dunno !

I still like Chuck's answer. If you stroll to the table with confidence and say "I know the bucket was good, three seconds ticked off - put 1.2 on the clock," I think you gain a little credibility by having some presence of mind to know what the heck was going on when the clock screws up.
    I used to be in the school of thought that under ten, don't count. But, I got bit in a case like this, so now I count all the time. Plus, if they see you counting, it is easier to sell Chucks' call.
    Old Wed Jul 24, 2002, 10:54am
    Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
    Quote:
    Originally posted by Refneck
    I understand your point. But, based on what the rule says, we did not have "definite information relative to the time involved". The ball crossed half court so fast, the T's ten second count hardly ever began.
    I'm gonna disagree. If you're going to claim you have no idea how much time came off & you want to go by the rule then the basket counts and the clock stays where it was at.

Quote:
    In hindsight, probably the best way to have handled it would be for the T to immediately blow the whistle upon noticing the clock never started. It would have stopped the play in the middle, but it would have avoided any "do-over" scenario beacuse the play would never have happened.
    Again, I'll disagree. The "best" way would be for whoever
    saw the clock didn't start to start a visible count & end
    the game when he got to 4.2. You can do this by rule
    because you have definite knowledge.

Quote:
    Originally posted by Danvrapp

Yes, even if there's less than 10 seconds left still count.
    This way you demonstrate that you have definite knowledge.
    And Chuck's answer is the right answer, and I'm sure if
    Chuck says 1.2 is left then 1.2 is left!

Old Wed Jul 24, 2002, 12:49pm
    Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fletch_irwin_m
    As a former first year official this was a nightmare scenario for me. During the season, I got in the habit of doing a count for my own benefit, but that screwed me up when the mental clock hit 0 before the horn.
    I did pick up at camp this summer (No NOT Band Camp)to have a hand count, akin to the FT but not as dramatic just in case. It saved my bacon twice at the camp and twice since, so I am sticking with it. It doesn't take that long for a glance at the clock to see if it has started and starting your count.
    If this is bad advice I would appreciate any pointers from the Veterans. However, this is what I would have done.
    Old Wed Jul 24, 2002, 01:25pm
    Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to BOBBYMO Send a message via Yahoo to BOBBYMO
    If it was a womans college game there would be no 10 second back court count. You never know when something like this may happen so you must always be aware of the clock.
    Old Wed Jul 24, 2002, 05:19pm
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    Originally posted by Refneck

Mr. Refneck,

Obviously you have taken the first step to getting better, you came here and asked and seem to care about getting it right. Actually, I don't know you, so obviously you might be a great official already. However, forget this nonsense about stopping the play in the middle because the clock didn't start. You were obviously aware of the 4.2 seconds, or so it seems. Forget the rule (how bout that Rut) and do the right thing. If you don't know, Chuck's guess is about as good as any. But, more importantly, learn from this and next time KNOW! If you are shooting free throws in a close game with little time left you should communicate with your partner(s) AND the scoretable. I don't care who or how good they are, a friendly "i got the chop" with a wink is just good game management. And keep your own count either visibly or in your head. Not an easy thing to do when you feel you have so many other's to master, but, as anyone can tell you, the last minute of the game screwup will linger forever in their minds. Whereas, a missed travel at the four minute mark will be easily forgotten. Learn to heighten your awareness and energy at different intervals during the game and especially for that last push at the end. Sounds like pretty good advice, I think I can use some of it myself. Made a dumb foul call today late in the game, I'll be sore at myself for awhile over that one. Good luck.
    Old Wed Jul 24, 2002, 06:15pm
    Official Forum Member

One piece of advice that I will take away from this thread is always keep the count! I used to count ten seconds no matter what the time left was. Then halfway during my first year. the seasoned veteran ask me why I was doing it. He told me that it was not needed, and that it showed inexperience on my part! That always stuck in my mind! But, and thank goodness that it has never come back to bite me! I will next season count no matter what the time is again.

AK ref SE
    Old Wed Jul 24, 2002, 08:01pm
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    Originally posted by AK ref SE
    One piece of advice that I will take away from this thread is always keep the count! I used to count ten seconds no matter what the time left was. Then halfway during my first year. the seasoned veteran ask me why I was doing it. He told me that it was not needed, and that it showed inexperience on my part! That always stuck in my mind! But, and thank goodness that it has never come back to bite me! I will next season count no matter what the time is again.

AK ref SE
    You don't necessarily need to have a visual count when there is less than 10 seconds left. If others in your area feel it makes you look like a rookie, count mentally only. It's a good idea to know exactly how much time should be left in such situations.
    Old Wed Jul 24, 2002, 10:44pm
    Official Forum Member

So far, I like Chuck's interpretation - 3 seconds ran off the clock

However, if you have no idea - no time should run off, and the basket should still count. Team A will have a throw-in with 4.2 seconds left on the clock.

Couple of suggestions:
    (1) This is an NCAA game, so you should have a shot clock. In this scenario, the shot clock would have been turned off, leaving the shot clock operator free to have a back-up clock or to at least keep a close eye on the timer/clock.
    (2) Have the timer check the clock - perhaps he pushed a button and there was a short - his display ran, but the main clock didn't. Or, maybe he started the timeout timer - both can be used as definite information.
    (3) Other than for substitutes and the like, the horn (or lack thereof) should never come as a surprise. Let's face it - plenty of timers and scorers (especially the lower the level you visit) are volunteers who got roped into the job and have little to no idea what they're doing. (Mick does bring up a good point as to home clock operator - I had a nightmarish case in IM where a player's girlfriend was the clock operator.)
    (4) Kill the timer after the game.
    Old Thu Jul 25, 2002, 04:34am
    In Memoriam

Quote:
    Originally posted by Mark Dexter
    Couple of suggestions:

(4) Kill the timer after the game.
    I must point out that this is still illegal in some states!You should check with your state association before the start of each season for the proper interpretation in your area.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Jul 25th, 2002 at 04:37 AM]