The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   2009-10 Basketball rules examination- Part 1 (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/54653-2009-10-basketball-rules-examination-part-1-a.html)

deano003 Tue Sep 15, 2009 03:16pm

2009-10 Basketball rules examination- Part 1

Hey people, I am new to this and want to get off on the right foot. I just finished my 2009-10 Basketball examination -part1 test and with some of the questions being hard to understand with me being new I am really unsure about some of my answers. does anyone have the answers so I can go over it before I send it in. There is a mchanics class comming up very soon and I want to be sure to have my test sent in, pass and start the season. With a baby on the way I would like to get alot of games in before he comes. Thanks alot in advance.

Smitty Tue Sep 15, 2009 03:17pm

Do you have a rule book? The answers are all in the rule book...

Ch1town Tue Sep 15, 2009 03:20pm

Is it THAT time of the year again. At least this one was original... "baby on the way" and all.

deano003 Tue Sep 15, 2009 03:22pm

Not sure what that was supose to mean. I was just looking for some help, not a handout!!!!!!!!!

Camron Rust Tue Sep 15, 2009 03:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deano003 (Post 625529)
Not sure what that was supose to mean. I was just looking for some help, not a handout!!!!!!!!!

Realize that about this time of year, we got a lot of people that have never been here before that signup, make one post asking for answers, and disappear. The stories vary, but the theme is the same...people that don't want to do their own homework.

You'll find that you get a lot more information if you post specific questions that you're unsure of with your answer and reasoning...relevant rules and cases.

You'll then get a discussion that will lead you to the answer the right way...understanding the concepts.

Smitty Tue Sep 15, 2009 03:31pm

How is giving you the answers supposed to help you? Won't you feel that much better if you figure out the answers on your own? Buy a rule book. Do everyone a favor - especially the kids you'll be reffing.

just another ref Tue Sep 15, 2009 03:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deano003 (Post 625529)

Fine line between the two sometimes.

Raymond Tue Sep 15, 2009 03:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deano003 (Post 625526)
Hey people, I am new to this and want to get off on the right foot. I just finished my 2009-10 Basketball examination -part1 test and with some of the questions being hard to understand with me being new I am really unsure about some of my answers. does anyone have the answers so I can go over it before I send it in. There is a mchanics class comming up very soon and I want to be sure to have my test sent in, pass and start the season. With a baby on the way I would like to get alot of games in before he comes. Thanks alot in advance.

We would love to discuss certain questions you had problems with. Helps us get ready for the season also.

Throw a couple out there and what you think the answer should be.

deano003 Tue Sep 15, 2009 03:47pm

That would be great thanks.....

A book keeping mistake can only be corrected by the officals if its recognized by the first dead ball after the mistake? Book says "error must be recognized by an official no later than during the first dead ball after the clock has properly started". i would say true.
there is just alot of questions that word things wierd

Ch1town Tue Sep 15, 2009 03:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deano003 (Post 625539)
That would be great thanks.....

A book keeping mistake can only be corrected by the officals if its recognized by the first dead ball after the mistake? Book says "error must be recognized by an official no later than during the first dead ball after the clock has properly started". i would say true.
there is just alot of questions that word things wierd

True, but read the question, then re-read it & get the key words before answering, so they don't trick you.

Book says "error must be recognized by an official no later than during the first dead ball after the clock has properly started.

What type of error(s) does that statement pertain to?

Is bookkeeping listed under those errors?

There's your answer.

deano003 Tue Sep 15, 2009 04:07pm

tricky tricky.. that makes me rethink about 95 out of the 100 questions.

Like..An official shall silenly and visably count seconds while administering the rules for a thow in, free throw, backcourt,closely guarded and three seconds? The book"officails shall silently and visably counting seconds to administer the throw in,free throw,back court,and closely guarded rules".. i say nothing about a three second rule... so it shall be false, right?

M&M Guy Tue Sep 15, 2009 04:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deano003 (Post 625546)
tricky tricky.. that makes me rethink about 95 out of the 100 questions.

Like..An official shall silenly and visably count seconds while administering the rules for a thow in, free throw, backcourt,closely guarded and three seconds? The book"officails shall silently and visably counting seconds to administer the throw in,free throw,back court,and closely guarded rules".. i say nothing about a three second rule... so it shall be false, right?

You're catching on. :)

Ch1town Tue Sep 15, 2009 04:13pm

Now that's what I'm talking about!

Welcome to the forum :D

deano003 Tue Sep 15, 2009 04:16pm

Thanks alot guys! I didnt mean to come acoss as a cheat.. just wanted to get this right. Now that you guys have gave me some insight to the questions i am going to go over the questions again now, and when I come across another tuffy I will ask. Thanks agian!

JRutledge Tue Sep 15, 2009 05:05pm

It is an open book test for God's sake!!!!! :rolleyes:

Peace

tjones1 Tue Sep 15, 2009 05:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy (Post 625547)
You're catching on. :)

He's alive!!!!! :eek:

M&M Guy Tue Sep 15, 2009 05:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1 (Post 625562)
He's alive!!!!! :eek:

And coming to get you if you're not careful. :eek:

How was your summer?

deano003 Tue Sep 15, 2009 06:05pm

Don't really know what God has to do with anything..... Some of you guys are really helpfull and for that I thank you and others forget when or IF they took the test thier first time, or just like being jerks!!!!!

dsqrddgd909 Tue Sep 15, 2009 06:55pm

Welcome.

I'm still a newbie here.

This place is great. It's highly informative, funny as all get out at times and thought provoking.

It can also be sarcastic, brusque and a bit hard to decipher. Bookmark this place - it will be a gold mine of information.

BillyMac Tue Sep 15, 2009 07:01pm

How I Long For The Good Old Days ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 (Post 625578)
It can also be sarcastic (and) brusque.

Really? You should have been around when Jurassic Referee was a frequent poster. He was right 99% of the time, but a lot of us often got a good spanking.

Nevadaref Tue Sep 15, 2009 07:09pm

And he could call you a young whippersnapper! ;)

tjones1 Tue Sep 15, 2009 08:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy (Post 625564)
And coming to get you if you're not careful. :eek:

How was your summer?

:D

It went pretty good. I stayed fairly busy. Still on the job hunt, just enjoying the time off...

How did yours go?

M&M Guy Wed Sep 16, 2009 09:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1 (Post 625599)

It went pretty good. I stayed fairly busy. Still on the job hunt, just enjoying the time off...

How did yours go?

Mine was busy, thanks.

At least it kept me out of trouble.

Kind of.

Smitty Wed Sep 16, 2009 09:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by deano003 (Post 625575)
Don't really know what God has to do with anything..... Some of you guys are really helpfull and for that I thank you and others forget when or IF they took the test thier first time, or just like being jerks!!!!!

You came in here asking for answers only to the test. You didn't want to understand the answers - you just wanted the answers so you could get more games. You haven't convinced me that you're in this for the right reasons. And now you have the nerve to call people who won't give you the answers jerks. You're gonna do great here...good luck!

Bad Zebra Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:28am

Wow...how about a chill pill?

What is it about that exam that gets this whole board so hostile every year? The questions and answers are readily available.

If someone chooses to use them to cheat...who are they hurting in the long run? Only themselves.

Is the answer sheet going to somehow fill their calendar with games and get them to the next level? Doubtful.

If you don't want to share the info...ignore the poster. Why waste the energy attacking and passing moral judgement?

Smitty Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra (Post 625711)
If someone chooses to use them to cheat...who are they hurting in the long run? Only themselves.

What about the kids they are supposed to be officiating? Does your so called "moral judgment" trump the job we are supposed to be performing?

Ch1town Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:42am

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty (Post 625720)
What about the kids they are supposed to be officiating?

How about their partners? As we are all we've got! How uncomfortable does it feel to work with a partner that kicks them left & right due to the knowledge of the rules or should I say lack thereof...

Bad Zebra Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch1town (Post 625723)
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra

How about their partners? As we are all we've got! How uncomfortable does it feel to work with a partner that kicks them left & right due to the knowledge of the rules or should I say lack thereof...

If they're that bad at rules knowledge, they'll be exposed and wash out quickly. Maybe different where you are, but a score on an exam is only a small component of the process. Nobody gets on a court here without screening and on-court training and observation.

BktBallRef Wed Sep 16, 2009 02:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra (Post 625729)
Nobody gets on a court here without screening and on-court training and observation.

All rookies look lousy, so I don't know how much that helps. They're still going to be given an opportunity.

And if you think someone's not going to see that score and take an impression from it, you're sadly mistaken.

tomegun Wed Sep 16, 2009 02:41pm

You know, in a way, giving people the answers gives them a fast track right out of officiating. Either way, who cares? Sooner or later the cream will rise.

JRutledge Wed Sep 16, 2009 02:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomegun (Post 625779)
You know, in a way, giving people the answers gives them a fast track right out of officiating. Either way, who cares? Sooner or later the cream will rise.

For the record, this happens every single year in many associations I belong to. It is up to the individual official to do more study or talking with other officials about rules (and people here are an example of that). And those individuals that get the answers in my area, stay in officiating and seem to be just fine.

I guess I look at this from an academic point of view. If it is cheating to give the answers, it is cheating to give any answer. But I am clearly in the minority on this one.

Peace

deano003 Wed Sep 16, 2009 03:23pm

Wow i didnt know asking for help would bring on World War III... I was never looking for a hand out, just help. If you didnt want to help you didnt have to post. I was looking for answers to check my self. I am new to this and dont know very many people in this to turn to if i have questions, and thats why I came here. My test was done and I wanted to check some answers that I was not clear on.... I didnt know there are still people in this world that hate to see people prosper and suceed.... and may turn out to be better at something than they are..

Smitty Wed Sep 16, 2009 03:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deano003 (Post 625787)
I didnt know there are still people in this world that hate to see people prosper and suceed.... and may turn out to be better at something than they are..

You just keep getting better and better with each post. Good luck!

Bad Zebra Wed Sep 16, 2009 06:31pm

Quote:

Wow i didnt know asking for help would bring on World War III...

Don't take it personally. It happens every year at this time. You're not the first to set off a spontaneous s*** storm and you won't be the last.

BktBallRef Wed Sep 16, 2009 08:20pm

Quote:

My test was done and I wanted to check some answers that I was not clear on....

And I'm sure that if you "check some answers" and find out you answered them wrong, you won't change them, will you? :rolleyes:

deano003 Wed Sep 30, 2009 05:53pm

Well after passing my test with the consult of some and being steered in the right direction on some of the questions I am excited to attend my first game. Thanks to all that helped, and thanks to all that didnt.

grunewar Wed Sep 30, 2009 06:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deano003 (Post 628129)
Well after passing my test with the consult of some and being steered in the right direction on some of the questions I am excited to attend my first game. Thanks to all that helped, and thanks to all that didnt.

I hope you get that excited when you ref your first game too! ;)

Good luck and let us know how it goes!