The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Throw-in sitch (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/54540-throw-sitch.html)

Ch1town Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:30am

Throw-in sitch

A1 has the ball side out in the f/c. He passes the ball too far & it's above the cylinder, B5 jumps & knocks the ball away. Under Fed rule set, what do you have?

Thanks in advance!

Adam Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch1town (Post 623738)
A1 has the ball side out in the f/c. He passes the ball too far & it's above the cylinder, B5 jumps & knocks the ball away. Under Fed rule set, what do you have?

Thanks in advance!

An idiot playing defense.

Pretty sure this is BI, since he hits the ball while it's in the cylinder. Can't be GT since it's not a try, though. But, I'm no expert on GT/BI, so I'll leave this for Nevada to correct.

Ch1town Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:47am

Ok, I had a NCAA official run that sitch by me last night & BI is what he said too. I was always under the assumption that both GT & BI had to be on a try :mad:

So BI on a throw-in or a pass is possible, doesn't seem right but it is possible...

Who says there's nothing to be gained by working wreck ball ;)

Thanks for confirming Snaqs!

M&M Guy Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch1town (Post 623742)
Ok, I had a NCAA official run that sitch by me last night & BI is what he said too. I was always under the assumption that both GT & BI had to be on a try :mad:

So BI on a throw-in or a pass is possible, doesn't seem right but it is possible...

When all else fails, go to the definition of BI - 4-6. There is no mention of a shot, try or tap in that definition. However, in the definition of goaltending, 4-22, there is the mention of a try or tap in flight.

Ch1town Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:05pm

Absolutely. I don't know why I lumped the 2 together :( but I got it down now!

Zoochy Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:49pm

Bi/gt

That is correct. You CAN have BI during a Throw-in.
You CAN NOT have GT during a Throw-in.

vbzebra Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch1town (Post 623746)
Absolutely. I don't know why I lumped the 2 together :( but I got it down now!

But basket interferrence, i believe has to do with contacting the rim or net, right? In the original post, sir-hop-alot never hits either, just the ball. Please correct me if i'm wrong, don't have exact wording of books in front of me.

so...even if ball is above cylinder on a non-try (in this case, a throw-in) and genius defender (whom I'm jealous of, b/c i could never jump that high:) decides to act like a fly-swatter, it would still be goaltending?

Adam Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by vbzebra (Post 623757)
But basket interferrence, i believe has to do with contacting the rim or net, right? In the original post, sir-hop-alot never hits either, just the ball. Please correct me if i'm wrong, don't have exact wording of books in front of me.

so...even if ball is above cylinder on a non-try (in this case, a throw-in) and genius defender (whom I'm jealous of, b/c i could never jump that high:) decides to act like a fly-swatter, it would still be goaltending?

Goal tending requires a try, so this cannot be GT since it's during a throwin still.

BI does not, and it also includes contacting the ball while it is in the cylinder. There really is no such thing as "above the cylinder," so this would be BI.

If, however, he hits the ball before it gets into the cylinder, it's nothing. Play on.

Ch1town Thu Sep 03, 2009 01:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by vbzebra (Post 623757)

SECTION 6 BASKET INTERFERENCE

Basket interference occurs when a player:

ART.1...Touches the ball or any part of the basket while the ball is on or within the basket.

ART.2...Touches the ball while any part of the ball is within the imaginary cyclinder which has the basket ring as its lower base.

ART.3...Reaches through the basket from below and touches the ball before it enters the cylinder.

bob jenkins Thu Sep 03, 2009 01:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch1town (Post 623742)

There's a specific case play that's nearly identical to the OP.

Ch1town Thu Sep 03, 2009 01:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 623762)
There's a specific case play that's nearly identical to the OP.

Really, current or back in the day?

Umm where's Nevada @...

M&M Guy Thu Sep 03, 2009 01:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch1town (Post 623764)
Really, current or back in the day?

Umm where's Nevada @...

I'm not Nevada, nor do I play him on TV.

But I believe 9.11.2(c) is what you're looking for.

Ch1town Thu Sep 03, 2009 01:35pm

:D

Thank you sir!

BillyMac Thu Sep 03, 2009 04:22pm

This Is Why I Pay My $12.00 To Join The NFHS ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy (Post 623766)
But I believe 9.11.2(c) is what you're looking for.

9.11.2 SITUATION C: Since it is a violation for thrower A1 to throw the ball directly into the basket from out of bounds, what happens if B1 touches the throw-in pass while the ball is in the cylinder above A’s basket? RULING: B1 is charged with basket interference and a two-point goal is scored. Team B is awarded the ball for a throw-in anywhere along the end lines as after a scored goal except the official shall place the ball at the disposal of a player of Team B for a throw-in from any point outside the end line. (4-6)

sseltser Thu Sep 03, 2009 05:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 623797)
9.11.2 SITUATION C: Since it is a violation for thrower A1 to throw the ball directly into the basket from out of bounds, what happens if B1 touches the throw-in pass while the ball is in the cylinder above A’s basket? RULING: B1 is charged with basket interference and a two-point goal is scored. Team B is awarded the ball for a throw-in anywhere along the end lines as after a scored goal except the official shall place the ball at the disposal of a player of Team B for a throw-in from any point outside the end line. (4-6)

Not that the rules book is without errors, but shouldn't this read "and two points are awarded to Team A."?