The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 26, 2002, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Larksy,glad to hear you had a great camp,enjoyed yourself, and learned some things and met some people that might help you in your future officiating career.That's all that matters.

Woody
JR,

Yeah, it was exactly the camp I was looking for. Something to build on without the pressure of impressing an assignor. You ever hear of the "AH HA" light? My AH Ha light was going off about 3 or 4 times a day. I'm going back next year because I know I could still pick up more.

Hey on that intro class I was telling you about....I am gonna help that guy out. I'll keep you posted.

Back to camp, one thing I also found refreshing was that they also had a most improved "senior" official award. They called it the "Old Guy" Award. At 33, I wasnt eligible but maybe if you can make it next year you can come in and grab the title!

Larks - Veteran in Training
Old Fri Jul 26, 2002, 10:44am
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Larks
Hey on that intro class I was telling you about....I am gonna help that guy out. I'll keep you posted.

Back to camp, one thing I also found refreshing was that they also had a most improved "senior" official award. They called it the "Old Guy" Award. At 33, I wasnt eligible but maybe if you can make it next year you can come in and grab the title! [/B]
Sounds like the intro class is gonna be a helluva lot easier for you after the great camp you had.I'm glad you made up your mind to do it.
Btw,if I win an "old Guy Award",I hope it's a shotgun.I can use it on the buzzards that keep circling me every time I go out my front door.
Old Mon Jul 29, 2002, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

[/QUOTE]Sounds like the intro class is gonna be a helluva lot easier for you after the great camp you had.I'm glad you made up your mind to do it.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'll be in more of an assitant role. I dont plan on actually lecturing on anything other than perhaps a quick talk on what I have gone thru / am going thru breaking in. Something along the lines of just because A) they found a striped shirt and whistle at Dick's, B) they took the class and C) they read the books that doesnt mean they will be a varsity ref or even get games for that matter. You hear all the time and I even complained on this board about "shortage". I think it will be good to hear from a 3rd year guy on the subject rather than a 30 year guy.

I'm actually looking forward to another cruise through the rules in a class setting. I take the Ohio Class 1 test (varsity)next spring. I have to think that camps this summer plus helping in this class plus a full season of high school games will certainly help.

Old Mon Jul 29, 2002, 03:35pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Larks
Yeah, I'll be in more of an assitant role. I dont plan on actually lecturing on anything other than perhaps a quick talk on what I have gone thru / am going thru breaking in. Something along the lines of just because A) they found a striped shirt and whistle at Dick's, B) they took the class and C) they read the books that doesnt mean they will be a varsity ref or even get games for that matter. You hear all the time and I even complained on this board about "shortage". I think it will be good to hear from a 3rd year guy on the subject rather than a 30 year guy.
[/B]
Congratulations,Andy.You are now,at an early stage in your career,officially giving something back to the game already!What you are doing is important as hell,if we want to keep new officials.The guy that you're helping deserves an "Attaboy",too.
Old Mon Jul 29, 2002, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

daytona camp

I had a great time at the camp. I went to the first and second sessions. Also, I was Andy's partner for the first
game.

I learned a great deal. I feel like I gained 1 to 2 years
worth of experience. Everybody at the camp was great. They were friendly and very helpful.
Old Tue Jul 30, 2002, 03:47am
In Memoriam

Re: daytona camp

Quote:
Originally posted by bugman
Also, I was Andy's partner for the first
game.
My condolences!!Hope you get well soon.
PS- It sounds like it's a very good camp.
Old Tue Jul 30, 2002, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: daytona camp

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by bugman
Also, I was Andy's partner for the first
game.
My condolences!!Hope you get well soon.
PS- It sounds like it's a very good camp.
Hey we werent that bad!! Bug was complaining about his shoulders but I didnt know why since we mostly ran! Hmmm
Old Tue Jul 30, 2002, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

Did you guys feel like this?