The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   What's the point of vacating? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/54371-whats-point-vacating.html)

grunewar Fri Aug 21, 2009 01:09pm

Hard Hitting Article

JPaco54

I liked the comments to the article better. This one was my favorite:

"I can't believe he had sex with her in the restaurant, then paid for an abortion. And he still gets to keep his job,......Oh, wait. Wrong scumbag coach now living in Kentucky." :rolleyes:

dsturdy5 Fri Aug 21, 2009 08:28pm

In addition to the test taking scandal is the fact that Derrick Rose's brother was given special benefits (ie. able to ride the team plane to away games). You can't tell me Calipari didn't know about that.

Camron Rust Tue Aug 25, 2009 02:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsturdy5 (Post 621644)
In addition to the test taking scandal is the fact that Derrick Rose's brother was given special benefits (ie. able to ride the team plane to away games). You can't tell me Calipari didn't know about that.

Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. You can't tell me he did and know you're right.

There are a lot of people on those planes, lots of boosters and university staff, and I doubt the coach is the one checking who is on it aside from checking that he's got his players.

Camron Rust Tue Aug 25, 2009 02:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fritz (Post 621590)
This created quite a bit of discussion in my neck of the woods yesterday; what if Chalmers' shot rims out and the Tigers win? Would they NCAA vacate the championship, and if so, would that mean my Jayhawks would be the belated champs?

Consensus seemed to be that the NCAA would have meted out a different penalty and avoided vacating a "major" championship like D-1 men's BB, and creating more confusion/controversy over who should be declared the champs.

When a game is vacated, the other team does not get the win....cause they didn't win. Any one of the teams that were eliminated by the vacated team would have an argument to be the champion.

The game simply never happened and there would be no champion.

Nevadaref Tue Aug 25, 2009 03:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 622185)
When a game is vacated, the other team does not get the win....cause they didn't win. Any one of the teams that were eliminated by the vacated team would have an argument to be the champion.

The game simply never happened and there would be no champion.

So who keeps the money from those games which never happened? :D

Adam Tue Aug 25, 2009 08:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 622188)
So who keeps the money from those games which never happened? :D

The NCAA gets it, of course.

bbcof83 Tue Aug 25, 2009 09:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 622200)
The NCAA gets it, of course.

I thought I read Conference USA gets the cash.

Ref Ump Welsch Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbcof83 (Post 622217)
I thought I read Conference USA gets the cash.

In Memphis' case, they have to return the money to the conference, who will probably redistribute it to the other schools, if they're anything like the Big XII. If there's no redistribution process, then the conference hangs on to the money for its own operation purposes.

Camron Rust Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch (Post 622243)
In Memphis' case, they have to return the money to the conference, who will probably redistribute it to the other schools, if they're anything like the Big XII. If there's no redistribution process, then the conference hangs on to the money for its own operation purposes.

At least the NCAA doesn't get it....like the EU does when it fines US companies....let see here, our coffers are running low so lets find someone with some cash to find guiltly and fine for enough money to send us all on a nice holiday.

Johnny Ringo Tue Aug 25, 2009 08:06pm

And Plaxico Buress got two years for shooting himslef ... go figure.

dsturdy5 Tue Aug 25, 2009 08:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 622184)
Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. You can't tell me he did and know you're right.

There are a lot of people on those planes, lots of boosters and university staff, and I doubt the coach is the one checking who is on it aside from checking that he's got his players.

Ok, so maybe Cal didn't know but someone from the program/university had to know and the fact that they are associated with the excess benefits makes the penalty of vacating games a reasonable one IMO.

mbyron Tue Aug 25, 2009 08:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo (Post 622336)
And Plaxico Buress got two years for shooting himslef ... go figure.

There is no legal penalty for shooting yourself.

Camron Rust Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsturdy5 (Post 622338)
Ok, so maybe Cal didn't know but someone from the program/university had to know and the fact that they are associated with the excess benefits makes the penalty of vacating games a reasonable one IMO.

How do you figure that? There is NO evidence that anyone from the university knew anything aside from the SAT organization saying he passed and the NCAA clearinghouse saying the score was valid....until 2 years later.

Nevadaref Wed Aug 26, 2009 01:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch (Post 622243)

That isn't proper either. Why should schools from Conference USA benefit when one of its members engaged in improper action? That money should go to the OTHER conferences and schools who were in the Final Four that season.

Adam Wed Aug 26, 2009 08:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 622341)
There is no legal penalty for shooting yourself.

Unless it draws attention to the fact that you were carrying a weapon illegally in a NY nightclub. :) He's lucky he didn't damage the jewells.